View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Why not check the bag with your clothes in it? At most, we might put a bathing suit in our carry-on, but the checked bags usually show up fairly quickly and even when they are a little late, the first night dress code is definitely casual.
I agree with the rolling backpack. That is what I use and it works great. I also have a feather weight nylon backpack that I use in ports. Just in case I see something I just have to buy. The rolling one is just too ackward in ports. I have to let go and put it aside if I want to take a photo or do anything. Too easy for local pickpockets to snatch and go. Plus, I keep my port bag in the nylon one. That is a plastic case with sunscreen, bug repellant towelettes, tiny roll of TP, hand wipes, and a cheap disposable poncho in it. I pack it at home (actually, it stays packed), then put in the nylon backpack which goes in my suitcase. I hate spending time and energy on the cruise trying to decide what goes with me into ports.
Marty
Hi marty,

As I said above, I like to travel light. I only use a carry-on and a backpack when I travel, whether it's for a weekend or a week. I'm in the Chicago area so there's usually flying involved.

I don't want to check luggage. Ever. Don't ask. Unless I'm forced to at the gate. So, clothing and things I can quickly & easily replace at a walmart go in the carry-on. Meds, travel tickets and other docs, netbook, paperback, trip journal and pens, pda, chargers, digicam, cell phone, all go in a litlte flat over the shoulder purse that then goes into my totebag, or directly in my totebag - which is then placed in my backpack.

The totebag (which is canvas and zippers at the top) goes into ports with me (or around the ship during the day) - containing sunblock, lip balm/block, towel, visor, etc. In ports I also wear a security waist pouch containing passport, cash, ids, S&S card, etc.

You really CAN travel with very little. It's amazing what you can do with one white or black pair of pants and shorts, 3-4 tops, one nice dress, and one pair of nice sandals (that work with pants/dress/shorts) besides the sneakers/walking shoes you travel in. Makes things very simple. Less to get stressed out about.