View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspepper View Post
I have been reading about the Flat Iron Steak on Carnival MDR Menu. We have had it on our last two Carnival Ecstasy cruises. Hum. Have to say it was not the quality of Rib Eye or New York cut. Here is the history of Flat Iron Steak

The Flat Iron Steak (also know as a Top Blade Steak), now appearing in grocery stores and on restaurant menus was developed by teams at the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida. The problem that presented these researchers of the cow was what to do with a waste cut of beef from the shoulder of the cow. Though a flavorful and relatively tender cut of meat, the top blade roast has a serious flaw in the middle of it; an impossibly tough piece of connective tissue running through the middle.

Flatiron steaks have been available for at least 4 or 5 years now in King Soopers (Krogers) here in Denver. I regularly grill All three, Rib Eye, NY cut and Flatiron, and I'll have to say that for the most part (and for the money) we prefer the Flatiron steaks. They are well marbled, very flavorful and have as good or better texture than either of the others. If I was having special guests over, I'd probably buy NY Steaks because the Flatirons would be strange to them.

On a ship specialty steakhouse, or in a fine steakhouse ashore, where they serve Prime steaks I'd probably stick with the NY Cut as well, but for the back yard BBQ -- you just can't beat the USDA Choice Flatiron!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10