View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Familiar Face

Default Holland America v Celebrity

The cruise director, on our last night, asked that we consider differences and I think these became stunningly clear. From a crew that is geographically centered (and yes, I think it makes a difference) yet diverse, to the manner in which they do everything, the space to guest ratio's ... it made for different cruise.

Example: The theater nearly always filled up, but good seats seemed to be available right up to 10 minutes before showtime. The Lido was busy, but never jammed. You could nearly always find a seat in Pinnacle or Tamarind. The pools had a surplus of places to park your butt. You could feel the nearly 2:1 ratio of guests to staff but even more, it was that my face wasn't getting lost among 3000 others.

If someone is about relaxing, about taking time away from life then the Eurodam really puts that out there. For most of my sailing, I've been stubborn about Celebrity but I can see how spending more to dine in the Olympic (than the PG) or paying a premium for a room doesn't translate into a better experience at all.