View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
I disagree that it has little to do with the cruise component.

As someone earlier pointed out, there are limitations on a cruise ship that are not faced on land.

Cruise Directors are the face of the company at all times. The list of "duties" you shared is only a very small part of what they do.....

they are the "Mom or Dad" for 1,000s of crew members.
they are where the "buck stops" for thousands of passengers if something goes wrong.
they are the ONE person that is the ultimate :go to guy/gal: on that ship ....

I do not know how many amusement parks that had one individual to sit and talk with thousands of passengers when 9/11 happened....

or deal with the outrage of unhappy passengers if a hurricane wreaks havoc on a ship casuing it not to return for days (and then to a completely different port)....

I don't think just anyone would want to tell 3,000 people that while they left from Galveston...they will be docking in New Orleans...and btw, you car is probaby a floating ornament as we speak.

So yes, there are many unique things to cruising....

We certainly wish the new guy the best....but part of me can not help but be concerned....after seeing the changes Cahill has made in the past.
I have to disagree where the Cruise Director is the "Buck Stops Here" guy for the passengers. The Hotel Director is the "Buck Stops Here" guy when dealing with hotel issues no matter what some CD's blog says.

The Cruise Directors will still have their assigned duties and that will not change.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me