View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Captain

I have often thought about how computers and the internet has so radically changed and is still changing our lives.

My job has always required me to do presentations that include photos. I used to have to take my roll of film in and get it made into slides that I arranged in one of those round trays and I would then show them to the group.

Now that is all done at my desk with my computer and Power Point - wonderful! I can also crop and manipulate the images - fantastic!

Computers and the internet has actually empowered the common person. I no longer need a photo finishing shop. Nor do I need a printer (most of the time), I don't have to go to a sound studio to mix the music for my presentations and I can add video without a video shop (most of the time).

Now with 3D printers becoming more accurate and cheaper, I believe we are about to see a revolution in manufacturing. Why build something in a factory, package it, ship it to a store, put it on display, etc - when you can just sell a digital file that someone can buy and download and then recreate the object at home.

There has already been an instance where a person made a rifle, that actually fired, from a digital file. Although THAT is a little scary, I do believe in the next 10 years or less you will be able to download a file that will allow you to print, say a special Lego piece or something similar.