View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I posted on the blog but I doubt it will show up so:

I also never considered it an "upgrade" if I was moved from something like a Carnival 8B cabin to an 8C cabin. I also had to laugh a few times when I read that someone "Always received an upgrade" when all they were doing was booking a balcony guarantee and then being assigned a balcony cabin higher than the lowest category.

I actually believe the up sell is a great thing for the cruise line. Why give away what many people will be more than happy to pay for. I also remember some of the great up sell deals that NCL did a few years ago. We had an up sell from BA balcony to an aft Penthouse Suite for less than $200 for both of us. I loved it. It does seem that now the cruise lines, including NCL, have taken some of the luster off the up sell. I have spoke with and read about people who have received an up sell call offering a one category upgrade for the same balcony cabin that was just a few doors down the hall. The most notable were friends who offered a BC to BB upgrade for $350. The cabin was two doors forward.

I will miss the "Upgrade Fairy". I had dreams of her and she visited me on a couple of occasions. She was very nice to me on a Celebrity Mercury cruise where she upgraded me from the old Cat 2 balcony cabin to one of the Cat 1 (Now Sky Suites) cabins with the HUGE balcony. May the Upgrade Fairy Rest In Peace. Maybe her magical powers will revive her just like in the "Fairy Tales".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me