View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
There used to ba a fair amount of tourism between Israel and Egypt and Jordan - part of the peace process after the 1976 truce (implemented by Jimmy Carter). But since the regime change in Egypt things have changed - however Abercrombie and Kent report more demand for Egypt lately - even adding extra cruises in 2015.

I really suggest you do it like this - plan to spend several days in Israel (Jerusalem/Dead Sea, etc), and then fly to Egypt and take a Nile cruise. If you can avoid Cairo, or limit it to one day to see the pyramids and Sphinx that would be fine, but the best of Egypt is upriver on the Nile - take a 7-day river cruise.
This itinerary is really good advice. I lived in Israel for a short while in 1980 just after travel to Egypt was opened up. Those that took a trip on the Nile enjoyed their trip a lot more back then and still true from what i hear from traveling friends today. I would also recommend adding at least four days in Jordan. We spent ten days in Israel a couple years back and then we crossed at Allenby Bridge leaving behind one driver and glad to see another driver when we got to other side of bridge. Same experience in reverse when we crossed from Aqaba to Eilat for our flight back to Tel Aviv. Jordan is beautiful. Jerash, Mt Nevo, Madaba, and of course Petra and Wadi Rum.

Marc

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Explorer - Miami - Venice - Mar 2017

Silverseas Explorer - Arctic - Aug 2017

Seven Seas Voyager - Rome to Beijing - Oct 2017

Seven Seas Mariner - Lima to Buenos Aires - Jan 2018

Silverseas Explorer - Siberia - Jul 2018

Seven Seas Mariner - Australia Circumnavigation - Dec 2018