View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Captain

Default Re: New Reasons to stop tipping on Cruises!

Thomas:

My misstatement. It is difficult to put a complex idea into sound bytes. I was referring to the fact that some people feel that the customary US "tipping system" is a way for the busuness owner TO CONCEAL THE FACT that a higher price than that on the menue is customary and expected, as a method of compensating employees. Personally, I don't care, because I'm familiar with the tipping system and mentally factor it in the price anyway. My personal preference is to put the whole price "up front" and pay service staff a decent wage. But I know it would be next to impossible for one small restaurant owner such as yourself to "buck the trend" and change to a "tips included" pricing structure. Heck, we have a difficult time explainging to first time Seabourn, Radisson, and Silversea cruisers that "No, you really don't tip!!!" While I do tip, the "tipping system" is something I wish hadn't gotten started in the US. I'd really like to see the wole system phased out in favor of a "flat price". Better for the workers because of the "stiffs". Better for the customers, as it would eliminate the confusion over who is tipped and how much. The fact that all cruise lines that have tipping state suggested amounts, while a good thing, proves that this confusion exists.

Thanks,
Richard