Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Hobie

Default Alaska cruise in September

Do you think that Alaska cruise beginning on Sep. 21 is too late in the year. I don't mind a little cold weather but will it be too cold or too wet?
Thanks for your help.
Hobie
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Alaska cruise in September

I hope it isn't since we are going the September 21 sailing of the Ocean Princess.
Old June 12th, 2002, 04:34 PM
burtie

Default Re: Re: Alaska cruise in September

It is impossible to predict the weather in Alaska anytime. We cruised the inside passage about 6 years ago during the second week in Sept, and the weather was great! Clear skies and temp's in the 60's every day. Talked to some people in Juneau and they said it was the best weather they had had for a year.
My suggestion is to expect rain and cooler weather and if you get sun and warmer weather it's a bonus!! We are going on the Spirit on 9/11 and that is what we will be doing. Rain gear and layers of cloths which are easy to remove WHEN it warms up.
Have a great trip!! I am sure you will no matter what the weather is.
Old June 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Delores

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska cruise in September

We are going on the Vision of the Seas Sept. 8. Hoping for nice weather also. We went in June before & it was chilly but didn't rain. Who knows??
Old June 13th, 2002, 12:52 AM
BLH

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska cruise in September

We went 9-16-02 & the weather was fine. It was very cold near the glaciers but fairly comfortable the rest of the time. Weather there seems unpredictable. The scenery is beautiful & is worth the trip whether its hot,cold,raining or not. Have a good time.
Old June 13th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alaska cruise in September

We are going on the Aug 26 Dawn Princess but are spending an additional 2 weeks exploring Alaska on our own. We have not been but have been planning this trip for over 2 years so have done extensive research including buying just about every travel book around, talking to everyone we know who's been and following this web sight all last season. Our conclusion is that September is a great time, if not the best time, to go! The weather can get just as cruddy in June as September.

Apparently the only down side is that it's a little cooler and the days are shorter, although still plenty long. Oh yes, you don't get quite as close to the glaciers because they are calving heavily from the summer thaw (but then that could be good too!).

The up side, on the other hand, is that:
1. There are less cruises so the crowds are smaller.
2. School is back in so there are almost no kids.
3. It's getting late in the season so the bargains can be significant (up to 75%!).
4. The mosquitos are gone.
5. Fall color is out.
6. The aurora borealis is back.

It was good enough to sell us. You're going to have a great trip, I can feel it!
Old June 13th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Sue H

Default Re: Alaska cruise in September

We are going on September 13th. I think you gamble on the weather no matter when you go, but make the best of it, at least your not home working !!
Old June 14th, 2002, 08:11 PM
ashuma

Default Re: Re: Alaska cruise in September

We're on the Amsterdam September 7. Looks like a lot of us are going in September, so it can't be too bad.................
Old July 1st, 2002, 02:42 PM
shereen

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska cruise in September

Hi everyone

This will be my first cruise ever so I thought a 4 day cruise to Alaska would be a good start . I am going with 10 other girls so we should have fun. Half of us are single so hope we can find some single guys or a dance partner, no matter what it sounds like a great break away from every day life and stress. We are going on the Ocean Princess Sept 21 - 25 2002 from Vancouver - to ketchikan and back to Vancouver then back to Powell River . I hear the scenery there is beautiful . If anyone else is going on this cruise let me know please , I would like to know a bit more about it .
Thanks see you on the cruiseashuma wrote:
Old July 3rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Default September

We are going on the Aug 26 Dawn Princess but are spending an additional 2 weeks exploring Alaska on our own. We have not been but have been planning this trip for over 2 years so have done extensive research including buying just about every travel book around, talking to everyone we know who's been and following this web sight all last season. Our conclusion is that September is a great time, if not the best time, to go! The weather can get just as cruddy in June as September.

Apparently the only down side is that it's a little cooler and the days are shorter, although still plenty long. Oh yes, you don't get quite as close to the glaciers because they are calving heavily from the summer thaw (but then that could be good too!).

The up side, on the other hand, is that:

1. There are less cruises so the crowds are smaller.

2. School is back in so there are almost no kids.

3. It's getting late in the season so the bargains can be significant (up to 75%!).

4. The mosquitos are gone.

5. Fall color is out.

6. The aurora borealis is back.

It was good enough to sell us. You're going to have a great trip, I can feel it!

You have some misinformation- if going interior after your cruise be advised that some things are closed, including Denali Park buses. I have seen it close by Labor Day with snow and it most always is closed past mile 17 after Sept 14. Your crowd issue is correct interior but not on the cruise- it will be full. Don't expect a lot of fall colors either as their season is extremely short and they don't get the colors of New England- mostly a lot of yellow. The Nothern Lights are a gamble and you need to be up past Fairbanks for any likely sightings that early. More likely sightings later. You are going at a great time for the inside passage- still decent weather and good daylight.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Default September

Do you think that Alaska cruise beginning on Sep. 21 is too late in the year. I don't mind a little cold weather but will it be too cold or too wet?

Thanks for your help.

Hobie

I have to give my experience only- I have cruised the third week of Sept as my second yearly trip for 2 years (last years Spirit (9-12 scheduled trip didn't go). As a many time Alaska visitor it is far better all the way around earlier- my favorite time is mid to late August. Things to prepare for late season- don't expect a decrease in crowds- most ships sail through the third week now with the extended season and ships will be full as they discount to attract buyers and "give the trips at severe discounts to" travel industry employees. Temps average 40-50 with average 3 days of rain- these are averages only and certainally good weather can prevail!!! But the key is to be prepared for it and enjoy. Daylight however doesn't change(; dusk on the inside passage will be around 7pm 3rd week of Sept, so you need to plan your port touring very carefully. In my experience as well- wildlife spotting is better earlier as well. Marine wildlife however is still excellent but be dressed for the viewing with knit hat and gloves and layers. Most of all expect big discounts- keep checking rates on your own via several online agencies.