Old February 16th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Default Can anyone suggest a 7-day cruise with most landtime

also with more glacier viewing...we are thinking of doing one-way and we can only extend 2 days after the cruise
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Can anyone suggest a 7-day cruise with most landtime

Try Celebrity...they have wonderful itineraries.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM
jq

Teresa,
I would also recomm looking at Celebrity. We chose the Summit last Sep due to the longest port times and 4 ports instead of 3. It also goes to Icy Strait Pt which I consider a plus as a less commercialized stop. They sail either northbound or southbound from/to Vanc-Seward. But the tradeoff is less glacier time. We went to Hubbard Glacier and it was only for a few hours. If you go into or out of Seward, you could take 6hr Kenai Fjords NP tour and see glaciers much closer that way in addition to lots of marine wildlife, maybe whales.
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

I disagree, Celebrity doesn't sail Colllege Fjords. AND I recommend the Northwestern Fjord tour in Seward- 8++ hours on the water, the 6 is the min. I recommend. Princess has a good routing for sailing but goes to less desirable Whittier. My vote is for HAL. As for your extra time- definately consider more- at least 5 days, you can only do VERY little in 2 and will be severely limited. A Vancouver round trip cruise would be my recommendation if you don't go with a ship that goes to College Fjords. Then there is very little difference between the two especially if you can't invest enough time.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Can anyone suggest a 7-day cruise with most landtime

karen,

i'm thinking of your suggestion of taking just the vancouver round trip...

if i will do just the vancouver round trip, then i'll be missing College Fjords, right?...
i was also thinking of taking a day tour to talkeetna from anhorage with my 2 extra days...

it may take a while before i can come back to alaska after this, that's why i wanted to see more, with the little time i have....but if it's not worth it doing the one-way, might as well do the round trip...i just thought that i'd see more glaciers and talkeetna if i do the one way....
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Can anyone suggest a 7-day cruise with most land

I would highly reccommend Talleetna. We went there a couple of years ago and loved it...very relaxing little town. We took the Doug Geeting Flightseeing tour. That was the best tour I've ever done. We took our daughter who was 11 at the time. It was breath taking. We stayed in the Roadhouse in Talkeetna.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

It is certainly a tough decision to make with limited time. I do believe some HAL round trip sailings go to both Tracy Arm AND Glacier Bay. This would be my recommendation if you have a glacier priority. I would also budget fully for a glacier helicoptor landing- would really "top" your desires off. Talkeetna is a wonderful town, I always stop there. In the Roadhouse, I only consider the upstairs rooms, downstairs a little too public for me.