Old April 18th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Default If I can only do ONE flight tour......which one?

Hi all. Taking a Princess Wittier to Vancouver cruise with a 3 day pre-cruise land tour (Fairbanks, Danali, McKinley.)
Here is the dilemma. We have budgeted for one flight tour, if any. First timer to Alaska. Interested in wildlife and scenery. Will skip whale watching as have done this several times elsewhere.

Since we are doing the inside passage cruise, and visiting Mendenhall glacier on a port visit...will we be "glaciered out?" Is there a need to do one of those helicopter or plane glacier landings? Is a glacier landing more interesting than a sight seeing kind of flight? What about the float plane tour over Misty Fjords? Has anyone done that?

Finally, is there any reason to prefer a flight tour out of the Denali area over one out of the Inside Passage ports?

Thanks so much for any opinions.
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Admiral

I have done all of your listed flightseeing. It is a big difference getting ON a glacier vs viewing from your ship. My opinion only, a glacier helicopter landing is a top tour choice.

I also greatly enjoy a McKinely summit flight and Misty Fjords floatplanes. It is tough to decide, so you might want to look where you have the most time???

I replied elsewhere, but- with your scenery and wildlife priority, be certain to get INTO Denali park. This isn't possible if you have the Natural History tour. There may be possible alternative options available.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
Passenger

Default which flight?

I was in Alaska last June and July - cruise thru the inside passage and then a week in Denali. We splurged on a flight in Denali - and it was the most awesome experience of my life. We had a small bush plane and the viewing was great and we landed on Ruth Glacier (about 2 miles wide at the widest point and it spectacular to view from above). I have so many pictures from that plane flight. We never got tired of seeing glaciers, and seeing them from above they were even more spectacular to see how far back they go.

You do not need a helicopter to have a great flight. The flight over Denali (out of Healy) afforded us great views of the green part of the park, and over the Polychrome Mountains, and into the mountains near Mt. McKinley where you will see snow. And depending on the time of your you may see more or less snow.

Hope this helps. If you'd like to see some of my images from our flight - please let me know.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our experience was a 4 glacier helicopter with a landing on the Norris Glacier. The scenery was just spectular and the landing was awsome. Its was so amazing walking on the glacier and seeing granite rocks that came up thru the openings in the glacier. There is absolutely no sound, totally quiet on the glacier. :o Pick any tour that lands on a glacier. Thats an experience you won't want to miss.