Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Passenger

Default Specific Clothing question for Alaska

We're going on the NCL Pearl in 3 weeks.

After reading through the forums on what to pack, I have repeatedly since "bring layers, layers, layers..." So I got that part.

Here's what I'm not sure about. What should my "heaviest" layer be that I bring? Should I bring a full winter jacket? Or should I bring more of a spring jacket with a sweater underneath? I wasn't sure what my heaviest jacket was that I should bring.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You should be fine with the lighter jacket and pack a sweat shirt or two. If you are doing any glacier tours, then possibly something a bit heavier, gloves, hat, etc. Otherwise the layering works best in Alaska. Be sure to pack some kind of rain gear, you'll usually see a bit of that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Our outer layer was a fleece lined windbreaker and we were fine. you shouldnt need a heavy coat, just something windproof and rainproof. I would recommend gloves and something to cover your ears, the wind gets really cool. Have fun!
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Specific Clothing question for Alaska

nujdawg,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We're going on the NCL Pearl in 3 weeks.

After reading through the forums on what to pack, I have repeatedly since "bring layers, layers, layers..." So I got that part.

Here's what I'm not sure about. What should my "heaviest" layer be that I bring? Should I bring a full winter jacket? Or should I bring more of a spring jacket with a sweater underneath? I wasn't sure what my heaviest jacket was that I should bring.

Thanks
If your ship is going into glacier areas, you will certainly appreciate a winter jacket, a warm hat, and gloves or mittens if you decide to go out on deck to view the glaciers and the wildlife in those areas. The constant calving of the glaciers is sufficient to ensure that the bays and fjords that have them are full of ice water, which always has a temperature of 32 F (0 C). The air above them tends to be only slightly warmer -- upper 30's F (lower single digits C). Of course, you'll want the same winterwear if you are doing a helicopter excursion that lands on a glacier.

Outside of glacier areas, a sweater or sweatshirt and a waterproof jacket are generally sufficient. Ketchikan is one of the wettest cities in North America, with over 250 days of rain per year IIRC, so your odds of not encountering rain there are pretty slim.

And around Skagway, Anchorage, and Fairbanks, you are likely to encounter clear skies and sunshine with daytime temperatures in the upper 70's to lower 80's F (upper 20's C), so you'll be in shirtsleeves.

Norm.
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Passenger

I'm leaving in two days and I'm using this web-site to figure out what to wear. I looked up each port we'll be in for the temperature for the day we'll be there.
http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?we...ns=wc:USAK0116
You can do it 10 days out to get an idea and then the closer you get to your ship date, just recheck. I'm hoping I'll pack properly. Our first trip to Alaska! Hope you have fun!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Passenger

I think part of the question can be answered by where you live. We are from Chicago and were fine with a sweatshirt covered by a light jacket. If you normally live in Florida or Arizona, I would then recommend something heavier. It also depends on what type of excursions you are going on. If in doubt, I would go lighter, but bring a hat and gloves.

It also depends if this is just an inside passage or all the way to Anchorage with a land tour. If the latter, then you may want to include something warmer. Just remember to also bring warm weather clothing. We had temps in the 80s in Ketchikan on our first July cruise in Alaska.