Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Familiar Face

Default Alaska Cruise Booked in September 2010

Could anyone give me any advise as to what types of clothing to possibly pack for my upcoming cruise to Alaska in 2010? My husband and I are traveling to Alaska in September (the first full week and a half) and unsure as to what type of clothing to pack..we definitly do not want to "overpack" and we will be visiting Denali, Mt. McKinley, Anchorage, Seattle and cruising the Inside Passage Southbound.

Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Admiral

In Sept you could expect ant kind of weather . We where in Alaska in
Sept 08 . Had some sun , cloud and rain. The best is ti dress in layers
that can be easily removed.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Alaska Cruise Booked in September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbroseus
Could anyone give me any advise as to what types of clothing to possibly pack for my upcoming cruise to Alaska in 2010? My husband and I are traveling to Alaska in September (the first full week and a half) and unsure as to what type of clothing to pack..we definitly do not want to "overpack" and we will be visiting Denali, Mt. McKinley, Anchorage, Seattle and cruising the Inside Passage Southbound.

Dress in layers. If you're flying, save the airline fees, pack lightweight clothing and wear your heavier stuff on the plane.

Figure out your excursions. If you are planning on a glacier trip, it would obviously be colder there than your hotel or port.

Do what I did. Visit a famous weather website and type in your destination(s). Since you're going next year at least you can check to see what the weather is now (or when you plan to be there) at your destinations this year.

Plan on wind, rain, and chilly night temperatures.

This helped me with my packing....
http://www.alaskacruises.com/what_to_pack.asp

Sweet Sailing!

Old August 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Admiral

If you go to Wather Underground you can get the historical data for most
of the Alaska Ports.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...Select=WEATHER

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska Cruise Booked in September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbroseus

I live in Ketchikan, and all summer long we've had wonderful weather...until now. It seems that August and September are the months that never stop raining. My advice: bring a good rain jacket. Yes, the cruiselines will give you panchos that scream "I'm a tourist," but rain jackets are so much better! If it's really windy, an umbrella is pointless too.

~Allison
www.ketchikanblog.com
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Beginner

Unfortunately, a lot of the places you list can and will have very different weather. I was just in Alaska the first 2 weeks of September (all inland, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Denali & the Kenai Peninsula) and while surfisla says it was rainy in Ketchikan, it was SPECTACULAR and SUNNY inland. And sailing Glacier Bay (or College Fjord, or any of the glacier areas) is pretty guaranteed to be cold. So one good jacket, and a lot of things you can layer are really your best bet. And one good rain jacket. I recommend getting something Gortex, then you won't care if it's raining lightly...

Sayhello
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Admiral

With this itinerary, you are FAR better off going northbound, since Inside Passage drops off significantly with weather compared to interior Alaska which can be more milder. Also you may not realize, if going southbound, is you are going to have dusk by 7pm.

I hope you know everything about what you have booked on your Princess cruisetour?? And hopefully, it is at least a 5 day add on tour. The most important point, to consider, is get into the park, with the Tundra Wilderness tour, I would never accept the Natural History tour, especially in that timeframe.