Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

"There are times on a very port intensive cruise that we are tired at the end of the day and would just love to relax in our room with a decent meal in the evening. Since it does not cost the cruiseline any extra to prepare the dining room meal for take-out/delivery than it does if I go and sit in the dining room, I don't understand their reluctance in doing this."

I love this, too. Some cruise lines do, and especially the luxury lines specialize in it. If you ever have a room with a butler he will serve each course one at a time.

They probably don't put alarm clocks in because ships change time zones so often and people would to have an easy way to change the time - sometimes a baffling thing on electronic clocks. They have the time on the TV.

A lot of cell phones have nice alarm clock features these days, you could use those.

What cabins DO need are more American eletrical outlets so you can plug in your cellphones wherever you want.

You are not allowed to have irons or water heaters because they are real fire hazards. A small microwave would be nice for popcorn. They should offer it from room service.
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Interesting thread .In my cabin I would like a portable CD player and 16 CD's
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

They should just have microwave popcorn from room service. Leave it in the bag and bring it to your room with a big bowl - then they could empty the bag into the bowl when they arrive.

The 2 things that make or break a cabin for me:

1. A nice large television.
2. A desk for me to use my laptop
3. A fridge is always a nice perk even though I dont use them that much

If I have to improvise a desk or run cables across couches & chairs I do not like it.
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

I would prefer a CD player
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Captain

Nothin,

All great ideas on your part.
Now let me explain why they are not going to happen.
Many of those amenities are placed there only because most people do not use them.
The cruise line gets brownie points for providing them, but doesn't have to replace them very often. This is a huge cost savings.

Hand sanitizers? Not only very expensive, but they actually cause more illness than they prevent. The CDC has done several studies that show ships that push hand sanitizers actually have more Norwalk outrbreaks than ships that do not push them.
Too many of today's passengers beleive that the sanitizers are a substitute for hand washing rather than the adjunct to handwashing they are designed for.
Note: The sanitizers DO kill germs; they DO NOT kill Viruses.

Tissue package is a great idea. But in today's economic climate, the cruise lines are extremely reluctant to add any new amenities that will increase their costs. Can you imagine how many million pieces Carnival would have to buy in just one year?

The electrical outlet in the bathroom will never change. Electrical systems on ships are a bit different than those on land. It is nearly impossible to "ground" a 110 volt electrical outlet on a ship. In your bathroom at home, an electrical outlet above the handwashing sink or bathtub is not too dangerous. If you accidentally drop an electric device into the water, the electrical system will cut off, preventing your death by electrocution.
On a ship, those outlets cannot be designed the same way. Those passengers who leave their brains at home would be killed when they dropped their hairdryers, curling irons, etc, into the handwashing sink.

Similar issues affect alarm clocks, coffee makers, water boilers, and miocrowaves in cabins.

NCL tried several times to put alarm clocks in all passenger cabins. They were all stolen in a very short time. When they tried to hardwire them into the bulkheads, passengers ripped them out of the walls. When they tried to glue them to the night stands, passengers destroyed the tops of the stands to pry the clocks off and steal them.

Microwaves, coffee makers, and water boilers are all good ideas as well.
Unfortunatly most models are considered fire hazards by the insurance companies that insure cruise ships. Installing them would result in much higher insurance premiums, which would result in higher fares for you.
There are a few models that are acceptable and quite safe - but they are quite expensive. You would also be amazed at how many NCL passengers have been able to fit those large coffee machines into their suitcases. Trying to charge the thieves for the machines usually results in a very expensive exercise in chasing them down and trying to prove the theft - which is nearly impossible.

The NCL ships were built with more powerful electrical systems in the cabins to accommodate the additional electrical machines. Other cruise lines have not done this. Existing ships would need to have all their cabins rebuilt to handle additional electrical loads. That's just not going to happen in today's economy.

Magnifying mirror is a great idea. Some cruise lines have them. But too many passengers steal them. The cost of constantly replacing the mirrors would result in a fare increase for you.
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Handsanitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies View Post
I do appreciate the little bowl of sample size shampoos, razor, etc., that is placed in the cabin by Carnival, although there are several items I never use. I would like to have included a small hand sanitizer to carry around with us, to help control germs from passenger to passenger. I always bring one of these, but most people don't. The hand sanitizer that I received recently at a seminar is a spray bottle and the cap has a clip similar to the clips on a fountain pen. It can be carried easily in a small purse or in your pocket.

It would also be nice to have a small box of kleenex on the bedside table,a magnifying mirror, and an electrical outlet in the bathroom for hairdryers or curling irons. The only ones I have seen in the bathrooms are for electric razors.

Last, but not least, I wish the room service meals were better and that you could get meals delivered (or take-out) from the dining rooms. I know that you can pick up a tray in the buffet and take it to your cabin, but you can't get the meals that are served in the dining room. We love having most of meals in the dining room and really detest the buffet food. There are times on a very port intensive cruise that we are tired at the end of the day and would just love to relax in our room with a decent meal in the evening. Since it does not cost the cruiseline any extra to prepare the dining room meal for take-out/delivery than it does if I go and sit in the dining room, I don't understand their reluctance in doing this.
Through Handsanitizer you can control infection.
Advantage of Handsanitizer are mentioned below.
1. Convenience
2. Less Time
3. Better for killing germs
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos View Post
I'd be happy if the rooms had a small alarm clock! That's something I never understood ... why cabins on ships are not equipped with an alarm clock ... maybe something that could take CD's too. You get that in most hotel rooms, do you not? While I can understand that a regular radio probably wouldn't work very well, there is no reason why an alarm clock, or one with a CD, or one with pre-recorded music channels wouldn't work.

I wonder why they don't have them?

As for the microwaves, I asked about that once. I mentioned as I was leaving the Pinnacle Grill one evening that I felt so bad leaving half my meal, but I just couldn't eat it. I had gotten the petite fillet, so it wasn't a matter of ordering too much. I just don't eat very much in one sitting and I lamented that it was a shame there was not a microwave in the cabin so that I could enjoy the rest of my meal for lunch the next day. I think the reason they don't put microwaves in the cabins is specifically because they don't want passengers eating in there. It can draw bugs and other pests that they would just rather not deal with.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Why don't cruise ships have alarm clocks in the cabins?
The upscale lines do have them. So do many suites on the mass market ships.
Several mass market lines tried to install alarm clocks in their cabins.
They were stolen immediately.
When I worked at NCL we even hard wired 220 volt clocks into the wall and added a sign warning passengers that the clocks would not work at home with 110 volts. They literally ripped the wires out of the walls and stole the clocks anyway.
Then we super-glued clocks to the night stands. Passengers pried them off to take them home - destroying the night stands.

If the ships did have clocks in the cabins, who would be responsible to change them when the time zone changed? You or your cabin steward?
If the cabin steward forgets to change it and you miss your tour, does the cruise line have to give you a refund?
If you forget to change it and miss your tour does the cruise line have to give you a refund?
Why no microwaves in cabins?
1. Fire hazard
2. They use too much current and would destroy the step-down transformers supplying power to your cabin.
Old April 8th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Admiral

I used to think they could put a digit clock in the room (built in to avoid theft) but that is not sounding like such a good idea for a couple reasons - Bruce indicates that people are better at stealing them than the cruise line is securing them (don't these people have clocks at home?) Second, I know that you can provide a timing signal to keep clocks synchronized. I realized on our last cruise that even the clocks in public areas of the ship were not synced. We would gain or lose time as we went from deck to deck. It was a little crazy. The same big digital clocks I was used to looking at for very exact world time (working at Cape Canaveral) couldn't agree with each other one deck apart.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Captain

The synchronzation systems that ships currently have to keep all public area clocks on correct times is very primitive and simple. Even with the relatively small number of ship's clocks needing synchronization, these systems rarely work very well.
There is currently no system in existence that could properly synchronize 1,000s of clocks at the same time.
Should the cruise lines invest big money to develop and install such systems? Why?

If you cannot afford a watch, we probably don't really want you sailing with us anyway.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Admiral

I would like a collectors edition of the Berkeley Barb .
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Captain

THe coffee machines / water boilers that NCL installed in their cabins had to be approved by US Coast Guard, IMO, Flag State, Den Norske Veritas, Lloyds Registry, the line's insurance company, and several other international organizations. This process took nearly 2 years.
If you get in touch now with NCL and make your request, you might be able to get it approved for a cruise 2 years from now.