Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Captain

Default What I would like in my cabin

I do appreciate the little bowl of sample size shampoos, razor, etc., that is placed in the cabin by Carnival, although there are several items I never use. I would like to have included a small hand sanitizer to carry around with us, to help control germs from passenger to passenger. I always bring one of these, but most people don't. The hand sanitizer that I received recently at a seminar is a spray bottle and the cap has a clip similar to the clips on a fountain pen. It can be carried easily in a small purse or in your pocket.

It would also be nice to have a small box of kleenex on the bedside table,a magnifying mirror, and an electrical outlet in the bathroom for hairdryers or curling irons. The only ones I have seen in the bathrooms are for electric razors.

Last, but not least, I wish the room service meals were better and that you could get meals delivered (or take-out) from the dining rooms. I know that you can pick up a tray in the buffet and take it to your cabin, but you can't get the meals that are served in the dining room. We love having most of meals in the dining room and really detest the buffet food. There are times on a very port intensive cruise that we are tired at the end of the day and would just love to relax in our room with a decent meal in the evening. Since it does not cost the cruiseline any extra to prepare the dining room meal for take-out/delivery than it does if I go and sit in the dining room, I don't understand their reluctance in doing this.
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Admiral

On our last HAL cruise, they did allow you to order room service from the dining room menu during dining room times. One formal night, my DH was worn out from an ambitious shore excursion. I went to the dining room, but he ended up eating surf and turf in his skivies, in bed, watching a movie. He still thinks of that as his idea of heaven on the high seas.
Marty
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Admiral

More english television channels for the night.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Admiral

I agree Nothing but blue skies, I always take the extra kleenex box in the bathroom for my bedside table. One thing that I think Carnival has but we wish other ships would have are a couple of hat hooks in the room on the wall to hang up our camera, hats, windbreakers, etc. Some ships have them in great places but there were none on Princess recently. We have had magnifying mirrors which is nice but I always bring my small 10X one with suction cups. It comes in very handy.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Jennifer Aniston!
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Catherine Bell! 8) (That'll be the day) I'd like Fox news channel, as well as CNN and the other major networks. I miss "Fox and Friends" in the mornings.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Catherine Bell! 8) (That'll be the day) I'd like Fox news channel, as well as CNN and the other major networks. I miss "Fox and Friends" in the mornings.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
We too, like to watch Fox and Friends in the mornings while we have our coffee and miss it while we are cruising. But now, you have me wondering and trying to remember which news network we have been watching on the ship. Maybe Good Morning America or something like that. Anyone know the answer to this one?
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Captain

a small microwave for popcorn. I love to eat popcorn while watching tv.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Windstar serves popcorn in your cabin (from room service) and they have DVD players in every stateroom and a huge library. Its simple but a great thing to do.

I do recall though that the popcron came in a wire bowl that the kernals could fall right through - pretty silly way to mess up a really good thing.

A lot of cruise lines will let order from the dining room menu if dinner is being served. I believe Holland America will, and I have had it done on Costa.

Of course the Luxury lines like Silversea all do - they will send a butler to bring it course by course, set up a table with a tablecloth and everything. Perfect for when you don't feel like dressing for dinner.

I guess if you don't like buffets you are pretty limited. Fortunately, I do like them. These days they aren't just buffets, they are hot pizza, hamburgers, Asian food. carnival even has Sushi and their bigger ships have an excellent seafood bar (top deck) with cioppinno, mussels, etc.

Some of the dinner-time buffets could be better, though. They used to put more effort into making them a true alternative to the dining room. now they seem more like an afterthought.
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Admiral

Paul, lots of good points. I love ordering popcorn from room service and watching a movie. I also enjoying ordering a steak and caesar salad at 3am on occassion. These are "small things" that tend to set cruise lines apart.

Many people just look at price at "activities" when choosing a vacation; there truly are a lot more factors to consider.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Admiral

More shower room

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
More shower room
That is a really good one! Although, I haven't personally done this, I know some cruisers who go down and use the showers in the spa/gym area because they are usually larger than the ones in the cabin. This allows all passengers in the cabin ample time to shower and dress for dinner or port days when they might otherwise be rushed.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Passenger

I would like to see a hamper for your dirty clothes. Maybe some extra pillows. Alarm clocks
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think the one thing we always miss is drawer space. They always give you all kinds of closet space but hardly any drawers.

I also think the old-style TVs are so out of date now there is NO reason not have a flat-panel in every room.

I would also love to see the US CNN or Fox news. The international version of CNN is so boring. I am sorry, but I don't need an update on Zimbabwe's elections every 1/2 hour.
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What I would like to see in the cabins is......

a white noise channel available in the stereo system (some of our cabins had built in music) so I can put it on at night and sleep without having to worry about people yelling and screaming in the halls at 2am or an all night party next door
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:47 AM
First Mate

More shower room would be nice. Popcorn is a plus.

More English speaking TV.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
More shower room
That is a really good one! Although, I haven't personally done this, I know some cruisers who go down and use the showers in the spa/gym area because they are usually larger than the ones in the cabin. This allows all passengers in the cabin ample time to shower and dress for dinner or port days when they might otherwise be rushed.
Actually I use the gym shower anyway it has multiple heads
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Passenger

an alarm clock with a back light would be nice. The inside cabins are soooo dark
Old October 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Tea/Cofee making facilities on ALL cruise lines as my hubby makes me a cuppa while we wake up and come to, and we don't have to wait for room service or go to the buffet straight away.
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt
Tea/Cofee making facilities on ALL cruise lines as my hubby makes me a cuppa while we wake up and come to, and we don't have to wait for room service or go to the buffet straight away.
We love to have a cup of coffee before getting dressed in the morning. Instead of calling room service after we wake up, we pre-order before going to bed at night. We just put the continental menu hangar on our door knob and put the time we want to get up. This also gives us a wake up call every morning.[/youtube]
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Admiral

I think every cruise line needs to add storage in the bathroom like Carnival has on the Spirit and Conquest class ships. You have 6 shelves in the bathroom which is a lot of room. I have talked to other people that say make sure you bring the shoe organizer for storage for the bathroom, but with Carnical's newer ships you don't really need it.

Also I wish all the ships have what the Spirit class ships have. A nightstand with 3 drawers and there are two in each room. But the only problem they only have these in the interior rooms. They are nice becuse it gives you a lot more drawer space.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Ken
"SkyMaster"
I am afraid that having Fox News would cause the ship to list heavily to the starboard.

Seriously on the last cruise on the Monarch they had Fox News.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:

Ken
"SkyMaster"
I am afraid that having Fox News would cause the ship to list heavily to the starboard.

Seriously on the last cruise on the Monarch they had Fox News.
A new question for the passenger profile:
"How do you like your news; port, starboard, or on an even keel?" (good luck finding that one).

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Because it wasn't mentioned, I will. NCL puts coffee machines, with coffee and teabags, in all of their cabins. I got it straight from Doug Ward (the Berlitz Guide author) that it is due to the Asian influence of Star Cruises. Apparently the Asians will not sleep anywhere that does not have a way for them to make their tea.

That is also the reason the NCL ships have bigger bathrooms with doors to separate the toilet / sink / shower. Once again, the Asian influence. Apparently they tend to look upon our bodily service stations as primitive and unsanitary. Actually, I have been to China, and I can tell you they are not nearly as picky as the Japanese & Malaysians are...
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What I would like in my cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Last, but not least, I wish the room service meals were better and that you could get meals delivered (or take-out) from the dining rooms. I know that you can pick up a tray in the buffet and take it to your cabin, but you can't get the meals that are served in the dining room.
The last time I was on RCL (2 years ago) we ordered the dining room menu from room service and ate in our room. We spread it all out on the bed and pigged out in our jammies. It was nice.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Admiral

You can order room service from the dinner menu on HAL during dinner hours. Hubby loves this.
Marty
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM
First Mate

better soap products on all lines. I like them all but Holland America has the very best. Elemis.
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSAN CURTIS
a small microwave for popcorn. I love to eat popcorn while watching tv.
I'd be happy if the rooms had a small alarm clock! That's something I never understood ... why cabins on ships are not equipped with an alarm clock ... maybe something that could take CD's too. You get that in most hotel rooms, do you not? While I can understand that a regular radio probably wouldn't work very well, there is no reason why an alarm clock, or one with a CD, or one with pre-recorded music channels wouldn't work.

I wonder why they don't have them?

As for the microwaves, I asked about that once. I mentioned as I was leaving the Pinnacle Grill one evening that I felt so bad leaving half my meal, but I just couldn't eat it. I had gotten the petite fillet, so it wasn't a matter of ordering too much. I just don't eat very much in one sitting and I lamented that it was a shame there was not a microwave in the cabin so that I could enjoy the rest of my meal for lunch the next day. I think the reason they don't put microwaves in the cabins is specifically because they don't want passengers eating in there. It can draw bugs and other pests that they would just rather not deal with.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Admiral

George Clooney

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Because it wasn't mentioned, I will. NCL puts coffee machines, with coffee and teabags, in all of their cabins. I got it straight from Doug Ward (the Berlitz Guide author) that it is due to the Asian influence of Star Cruises. Apparently the Asians will not sleep anywhere that does not have a way for them to make their tea.

That is also the reason the NCL ships have bigger bathrooms with doors to separate the toilet / sink / shower. Once again, the Asian influence. Apparently they tend to look upon our bodily service stations as primitive and unsanitary. Actually, I have been to China, and I can tell you they are not nearly as picky as the Japanese & Malaysians are...
Okay so if they put coffee pots in the cabins again, I don't understand why I can not bring my automatic pot to heat water for coffee! My pot is a fire hazard and theirs is not? ( Okay I'm done. I know there are only 2 types of fair, the State and the County
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006