Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to utoypia
Default WOW!! My Compensation...

When I was 15 years old in 1994, I saw a tabloid newspaper with Carnivals Jubliee on the cover saying "Cruise Ship disapeared in the Bermuda Triangle". The name and carnival symbol was photoshopped out but, the famous fantail remained. From cruising on the Jubliee 3 times prior, I recognized the picture from Carnivals promo photos. I wrote a letter and sent it along with the newspaper to then CEO Bob Dickenson. A few weeks later, I received a letter back from "Bob" thanking me for my efforts and they were going to get their legal team on it ASAP. As for "compensation", I was also sent a Carnival t-shirt that was too small, a Carnival balloon, and a Carnival pencil...

Cheap B@stards!
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
First Mate

no compensation, but, sailing always on HAL, i have most often very little to complain about -- oh, the small stuff that might 'shake some peaches out of the tree' and make the experience a little better -- you know, like 'why fake palms around the pool,' but nothing to expect compensation for. i make my lists, but usually by the end of the cruise i tear them up, because in toto it is not significant.
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Passenger

My hubby and I sailed on the "jubilee" the a/c did not work in our room.
The first night they said it will just take a while to kick in after the ship sails. Then they came to fix it but didn't have the replacement part so in August in must of been 85 degrees in our room. They brought us a fan. It was still miserable sleeping and coming in after a sunburnt day..I recall several other mishappenings that cruise like foul odor from the pipes or something.. ANY WAY we rec'd a 10% or 20% discount letter off our next cruise..
3/03 Fantasy
6/03 SOS RCCL
3/04 Fantasy
8/06 Sensation
08/07 SOS RCCL
02/09 Monarch of the Sea RCC
5/09 Carnival Glory

5/15/10 Carnival Dream
11/10 Monarch of the Seas RCC
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:29 PM
First Mate

Quote : David and I complained on one H.A.L. Veendam cruise out of Tampa. Our air conditioning didn't work at all, the toilet didn't flush, our phone was non-functional most of the time, the shower regularly stopped flowing just about the time we were all lathered up with soap and/or shampoo. The shower sewer would not drain, on the rare occasion that the shower actually worked.The worst part was the room that was always 85 degrees or higher. day and night. They offered us a little eight inch fan to solve the problem, no kidding!

After five days of complaints, we were finally given a $150 in a shipboard credit. A different cabin would have gone a long ways to make us happy. But this was not in the cards I guess. This made our cruise very uncomfortable.

Oh I forgot, our smoke alarm went off at least 20 nimes with no provocation and not at times wheny either of us were attempting to shower with water that did not flow most of the time. Finally their answer to this was to remove the battery, not repair it. UGH! unquote

I hope this is not a put on for we could never see ourselves living aboard any ship under such conditions. We would have demanded another cabin and failing achieving that, take the blankets and the pillows and descend to the Persur's deck area, locate a sofa and in full view of the ship camp there for the night. A cabin would have been found for you, pronto.

What you indicate is beyond understanding let alone tolerance.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Admiral

We had a similar experience on the old Noordam. DIdn't realize they were getting ready to sell her, so were not maintaining. But, even after cabin change, things got worse and it was the entire ship. FOrmal night...no A/C in the dining room! Multitude of other problems. and not a single token from HAL in response. Used to love HAL, and did go on it again, but a different ship.
But, please realize that when mechanical problems happen on a ship, it's not like they can run out to Home Depot for parts. They carry a lot of spare parts, but some things just can't be fixed at sea.
Marty
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Default Uprade due to poor customer service from cruise agency.

We were booked on QM 2 last December and the cruise agency never forwarded our pre-cruise documents and also never returned phone calls or emails. Our agent had left the agency so no picked up her accounts I guess. I contacted CEO at Cunard and we got upgraded from a balcony to Princess Suite. We had a fabulous cruise-special dining, lounge, etc.

Not sure upgrade was directly related to complaint to Cunard but other cruisers at our table in the Princess Suite had been upgraded but had cruised on Cunard many tmes before.
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Admiral

We got money back from a shore excursion that was not marketed correctly. We were on Costa Cruise lines in the Dominican Republic and took the Amphibious vehicle down the Chavon River. It was marketed as a relaxing ride, but in fact was a party boat, at 8am! Music blaring, dancers, and the staff pushing rum and beer at everyone! Horrible one stall bathroom on board so bad I have a photo of it so I can laugh now that I had to use the thing, it was a balancing act to say the least, looked like a kiddy potty close the floor with no seat! A bunch of us complained and we ended up getting at least $25 back, I don't recall if it was cash or onboard credit.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to beachcomberT
Thumbs down Silence from Royal Caribbean

My complaint to Royal Caribbean concerned a dining room manager on the Monarch of the Seas who moved two strangers to our table without consulting us. The table of 4 originally was to be for my friend, myself and 2 relatives. The relatives became sick at the last minute and couldn't take the cruise. The first night, we had the table to ourselves. The second and third nights we ate at the top-deck buffet. When we returned to the dining room the fourth night, 2 other people already were seated at our table. When we inquired what was going on, we were given no explanation except to take our seats. The strangers wouldn't even change chairs so we could be seated next to each other. We left rather than make a scene. We did mention it to our steward who rushed up to the dining room and tried to patch things up. Our thinking was that we should have been notified ahead about the change in seating or else be offered a table for two (which were available.) We detailed the problem on the guest survey card, and then a week later wrote a more detailed letter to RCCL's Guest Relations office in Fort Lauderdale. No response to either comment. We did tip all the staff and gave extra to our steward. But we have crossed off RCCL for future cruises.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:54 PM
Admiral

I have complained and been offered compension but have never taken them up on it. Our one and only cruise on HAL was brutal. Wrote them a scathing letter when we returned and they answered with all kinds of apologies and promises for upgrades, free dinners and VIP treatment on our next HAL cruise. There won't be a next HAL cruise.

More recently I contacted Princess and complained about the way they were handling their waitlists for cruises. They offered to bump me up the waitlist which I thought was ironic given the topic of my complaint ..we ended up not taking that cruise.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Captain

On our first cruise in 2003, Celebrity's Horizon, we bought a camera in St. Thomas. It was a new model, great price with a huge memory stick (4g; big at the time). Anyway, we had taken the camera to use up on deck and had left the instructions, extra stick, camera bag etc in it's original shopping bag under the chair of the desk. You got it, the steward threw it out. He admitted he had done it but as we couldn't use the camera because of no charger, we resorted to disposables. When we arrived back in port, they had purchased us one at a store in Key West (our last port before we docked the next day) and gave it to us. Job well done.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14

Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Admiral

A woman that I know was on a cruise in 2007 and complained that she was sexually harassed by a member of the ships entertainment staff and she said the guy was fired .
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:27 AM
First Mate

Celebrity Century - Dec 2000 cruise. Suite with balcony & butler...very costly. No complaints about cabin or food. Those were pretty good other than that the TV was old and never worked at all so we could not keep up with what was happening on the ship or the weather. The staff and service were an abomination. Waiter in MDR was verbally abusive on a nightly basis...Just for fun I think. Our room was rifled through (by staff with a key) and robbed. I wrote a letter to corporate headquarters (afterward) and never rec'd so much as a reply. I have not cruised Celebrity since.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:41 AM
Captain

Smile

Sure seems like theres a lot of complaing go on in the cruise world is anyone happy
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Nelson Rockerfeller's wife was Happy
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Nelson Rockerfeller's wife was Happy
Gotcha!
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
First Mate

My only complaint letter has been in reference to a river cruise. I had paid for airport-to-ship (and the reverse at the other end) transfers but because of a mixup in air booking wound up spending an overnight in a hotel at the end of the cruise, so my transfer was unusable. I really wrote asking for a refund of the $65 I had been charged, but commented that the cab to the airport the next day only cost $15 ! Also, the ship had collected my passport and immigration card on arrival, but returned only the passport; when I asked about the immigration card, they said I wouldn't need it to leave; that the country (Ukraine) was only concerned about people entering, not leaving. Well, I wound up at the airport getting hassled about my lack of said card. They did let me leave, though. I also mentioned some difficulties with seating assignments at dinner (Honestly, the maitre'de actually said, "Germans like assigned seating, so they are put on this side; but Americans don't, so they have to find a place on that side; and the British do as they're told.") The company refunded my $65 and gave me a $500 credit against a future cruise with them.