Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Default May I bring my bike?

Hello All...

I've been doing some digging around and have had no luck. So I figured I would ask ALL you fine people!

I am an avid mountain biker. I usually travel with my own bike on airlines. I just love biking around new places with my own bike. I cover much more ground, see much much more!

Does anyone know if the Cruise lines, or which cruise line, will allow me to take my own bike on board? Of course I will pack my bike in specialized bike case and check it in as though it was luggage.

I would then put it together in my stateroom and roll it out on my shore excursions!

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Admiral

You might have to contact the cruise lines individually, and multiple times (sometimes different CSRs may give different answers).

My gut says no. You would have to check the bike like on an airline. The bike would have to be placed in the hold by the porters then brought to your cabin. At each port you would have to pass through a metal detector with the bike.

Here are Carnival's
baggage restrictions

You might be better off investigating local bike rentals at your desired ports of embarkation. Also realize that some islands do not have the best of roads and some "exciting" drivers. And, hey, maybe you would enjoy a different type of adventure for a while.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: May I bring my bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket929
Does anyone know if the Cruise lines, or which cruise line, will allow me to take my own bike on board?
Or, again, here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

"Safety Concerns: Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board nor are permitted on board:
Bicycles
Surfboards
Scooters (unless medically necessary)
Boats/Canoes
Scuba Tanks (empty or full)"
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Beginner

Default May I bring my bike?

Yes, but only if you buy the kind of bikes that many RVers own and use. They are called collapsible bikes or folding bikes. They fold up completely flat and then you carry them in a bike carrying bag or backpack. Their are several makes and models to choose from. The bikes tend to be a bit on the expensive side, but I have seen some recently at about $125 to $150 each. I have brought them on nearly all trips and walk on and off the ship with the bike in a backpack; once on shore, fold it out and go for a nice ride. Of course, you can never use a bike onboard the ship.

Folding Bike (not collapsed)

Folding Bike (collapsed)

Folding Bike Bag

Last edited by Sergeant Major; November 20th, 2009 at 03:21 AM.