Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Familiar Face

Default Ghost stories from past cruises

Halloween is my favorite holiday...so in the spirit of October and its festivities and my cruise out on Halloween on GLORY I wanted to put this to you...

Has anyone here ever experienced something onboard ship that could be considered supernatural?

Odd bumps or noises in your cabin that can't be attributed to the movement of the ship or noisy neighbors? Cold spots that travel with you? An odd glimpse of something off the port/starboard bow late at night...phantom lighthouse...ghost ship?

Before the luxury liners and cruise ships the sea was rife with tales of ghost stories from every ship that sailed.

Let's not let the sea's spooky past fade away....

Someone must have a story to tell...

NCL STAR: 10/25/10
GLORY: 10/31/09
MONARCH OF THE SEAS: 08/31/09
LIBERTY: 11/15/08
VALOR: 09/30/07
IMAGINATION: 09/00
STARSHIP OCEANIC: 92
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Admiral

I haven't had a ghost experience on a cruise ship. However, I do find the stories interesting. So this one is from a cruise on the Thompson ship destiny.
http://www.ghost-mysteries.com/viewstory.php?id=3245

Cruise ship ghost

Added: 10-04-09 by mark

Ship : thompson destiny Date : August 05 A couple of years ago we had the good fortune to go on a med cruise, we book one room for 4 of us, my wife, son, daughter and myself, we were put in two separate rooms, my son, 6 at this time and I in one and my daughter and wife in the other, well one night I think approx half way through the holiday, I awoke from one of the wardrobe doors swinging open, now these doors have large magnets on then so they don’t open even under bad weather conditions, we went on holiday in August and the sea was like a lake the full time we were their, these door really took some effort to open, well it did and it woke me up, so I sat up in bed and noticed a guy doing something in the wardrobe, feeling instinctively defensive for my son I shouted (cant remember what), something like “hey”, this guy who had shoulder length blond hair, wearing some kind of uniform so I thought he was crew to some extent, turned and looked at me then I think moved into the wardrobe quickish, so I jumped up as fast as I could and went for this guy, now if anyone has been in one of these cabins, they are not very big, approx 8-10 feet long, so moved from my bed to the door in approx 1 second, the wardrobe door was still open, again if you are familiar with these cabins you will know that the door of the wardrobe when open stops you from opening the main cabin door, the reason I say this is because I was convinced someone was their, but could not see how he closed the wardrobe door, open the cabin door, then closed the wardrobe door from the other side of the cabin door then locked the cabin door before I got out of bed. When I check the cabin and realised that it was physically impossible to get out, I soon became spooked and started although reluctantly to think it may be ghost, I spent the next three or so hours trying to convince myself that maybe he could have got out in this time, I may not that I had the light on all the time I was trying to convince myself. To add to this at around 6pm my son sat up in bed (exorcist style) and said to me “You don’t care about the people on this ship”, and went back to sleep instantly, now normally I would have took this with a pinch of salt but with the “Ghost” still in my mind it really spooked me. That aside I still don’t believe in ghosts, but if you had asked me that night then my opinion may be a little different.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I found another one on the Sapphire Princess .
http://paranormal.about.com/library/...y_may07_14.htm

Haunted Cruise Ship
by Chibi

On the 11th of January this year, my family and I boarded the Sapphire Princess from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand. The cruise was to last 12 days and we stopped at seven ports along the way, two in Australia and five in New Zealand. To combat boredom, settle nerves from being a first time cruiser and to make friends, I joined a "club" for teenage passengers between the ages of 13 and 18. The club was really a room that had been fitted out with various forms of entertainment for us and we were free to come and go as we pleased. It opened at 9 a.m. and closed at midnight every day, with several breaks in between. The room was mainly supervised by a staff member, who I shall call David, and during the duration of the cruise, David asked if we wanted to hear some stories about his adventures on numerous cruises over the years.

Everyone was happy to listen so he warned us that we might not want to listen to one story in particular if we were scared easily, so the group was divided into those that wanted to listen, and those that didn't. We initially thought it was a just a stupid ghost story, but I was proved wrong several nights later. According to David's story, the Sapphire Princess was constructed in Japan several years before, however, during construction, a fire broke out on the 13th floor and killed hundreds of workers working on this floor of the ship at the time. Due to Japanese tradition, the place where a person dies in tragedy must be preserved out of respect and made into a sort of mausoleum because the deceased does not realize they are dead. So, the 13th floor was made to replicate how one of the normal corridors would look, sealed off from the public areas of the ship and the ashes of the dead were placed in the rooms.

David told us that maids are sent down there every three days to service the rooms as apart of paying respect, unlike normal rooms that are serviced and made up every day. No electricity will work down there, even though it has been wired correctly and many people working there have reported ghost sightings of the charred bodies writhing in the beds.

Needless to say, the story scared as us all immensely, and I was afraid to go back to my cabin that night, even though it was two floors above the 13th floor and my brother and sister were in the room. When I told my dad the next morning, he was very skeptical and laughed it off, saying that David was just trying to scare us, so I forgot about it for a few days.

Two days later, at around 12:30 - 1 a.m., the ship was completely abandoned as usual for this time and my friends and I were on our way down to the 24 hour buffet restaurant for some dessert. I had forgotten my purse up at the club and was alone on my way down from retrieving it when I stopped in one of the stairwells. I noticed that this landing was very cold and the lighting was flickering, thinking nothing of it, I continued on my way until I looked back to see that the people in the paintings against the wall had bleeding eyes and faces twisted in agony that certainly weren't there before. By now, I was absolutely terrified and I hurried to get back to my friends in the restaurant.

After we had talked and eaten, we decided to go up to the pools to find some other friends that had gone for a spa and on our way, we traveled up the same staircase. Upon observation, I realized that the paintings had returned to normal, the lighting was behaving and the landing was in fact located in between the 12th and 14th floors. The ship did not have a 13th floor. To this day, I am still very chilled by this experience and as much as I enjoyed my vacation, I will never step back on that ship again.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Okay last thing then I'm done for now. There are a fire at the shipyard of the Sapphire Princess. At that time it was called the Diamond Princess, because of the fire a sister ship was named Diamond Princess and released. Here is the story.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1001

Princess Delays Sapphire Debut

Princess, which has a relatively unprecedented three ship debut schedule in 2004, has announced that Sapphire Princess, the last to arrive will be delayed. The ship, whose original inaugural date was May 16, will now launch June 13. Cancelled sailings, beyond the premiere cruise, include May 23 and 30 and June 6. Princess says passengers will be re-booked on Sapphire Princess’ sister ship – Diamond Princess – which is sailing the exact same itinerary.

Both of the 113,000-ton, 2,670-passenger ships, which launch within months of each other next spring/summer, will offer seven night Inside Passage (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria) voyages from their seasonal home port in Seattle.

Sapphire Princess, originally known as Diamond Princess, had been slated to be the first ship launched in this new biggest-for-Princess class of vessels. However, while under construction at its Japan shipyard in autumn 2002, a fire broke out. Princess then swapped the "old" Diamond Princess with the "old" Sapphire Princess.

The company maintains quite firmly (while making no reference whatsoever to the onboard fire) that the delivery delay has nothing to do with a problem at the yard but was simply a result of an overambitious attempt to make an early launch for Sapphire Princess.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks katlady...those are great! I don't think I would want something bumping around my cabin in the middle of the night, but it would be interesting to catch a glimpse of a ghost ship or phantom lighthouse....

Anyone else?

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Yrs ago, on the Majesty of the Sea,someone posted some odd pics taken onboard, and there was an accompaning story, but I must be getting old..that's all I can remember

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Yrs ago, on the Majesty of the Sea,someone posted some odd pics taken onboard, and there was an accompaning story, but I must be getting old..that's all I can remember
I like ghost stories so I did a search. This website has pictures and stories of the Majesty of the seas.
http://www.cosmicsociety.com/majesty.htm

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Kat, you are Cruisemates own investigative repoeter...you can find anything!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you for those!

We just came back from Monarch of the Seas and we were afraid it was a cursed ship from what we had read online before hand.... seamen killed in a pipe leak....the young Captain found dead in his cabin....a grounding....

We made it out and back okay, though.

Old October 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Kat, you are Cruisemates own investigative repoeter...you can find anything!
I like finding stuff.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Admiral

The Caribbean Princess, a different Princess ship, does not have a 13th floor-period-and as one who likes to take the stairs I can tell you there is no landing for the 13th floor-it goes from 14 to 12. Our balcony stateroom was on the 12th floor-so I usually walked up and down both to the lido. It was only a couple of decks-not a hard walk.

I do believe there was a fire on that ship that was mentioned, as Katlady proved it-but the rest of that story, I am sure, is pure fantasy of a young teen's active imagination.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
The Caribbean Princess, a different Princess ship, does not have a 13th floor-period-and as one who likes to take the stairs I can tell you there is no landing for the 13th floor-it goes from 14 to 12. Our balcony stateroom was on the 12th floor-so I usually walked up and down both to the lido. It was only a couple of decks-not a hard walk.

I do believe there was a fire on that ship that was mentioned, as Katlady proved it-but the rest of that story, I am sure, is pure fantasy of a young teen's active imagination.
You are probably right, but it makes an interesting read. I like the element of truth in the story.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Admiral

If people burned to death or died from inhaling smoke, they would not be bleeding-it was not like they were bludgeoned to death-so no element of truth. If she said the pictures had charred faces-well that would be an element of truth.

Besides, I wonder if this person has been on a cruise ship, as they said "maids" instead of "stewards". Plus, every cruise ship I have been on has no 13th deck, they go from 12 to 14 or else the decks have names instead of numbers.

I have only been in one hotel that had a thirteenth floor and that was in France. I guess the French are not superstitious like Americans! Our room was on the 13th floor, in this hotel, but it was okay, we slept fine and we made it back home on our flight-no bad luck to report! (except sky high prices, the dollar is worthless over there) I just found it funny that we had a room on the 13th floor!

No, this was just a silly kid posting on adult message board. She would have better success if she went to a message board with just kids.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old December 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Well I made the post and I'm an adult. The op was asking for ghost stories. That is one of the stories I found on an internet search. I also put a link to the website, because I didn't write the story and I'm careful not to take credit for other people's writing.

By "element of truth" I simply meant she weaved a true event the ship fire into the ghost story.

It's interesting what is considered a "true story" these days. Notice movies are no longer based on a true story, but instead are inspired by true events. That is because the movie directors leave out parts of the story or worse yet change the people so they do become more of a "villain." One of the worst examples of this is the movie Cinderella Man Max Baer wasn't anything like how the movie portrayed him. In fact Max Baer felt horrible for Frank Campbell's death so much so that he gave purses from succeeding bouts to Campbell's family.

People will believe the movie version of this man and not the truth. Simply because it's a movie. I care more about that the an entertaining ghost story written a young lady. I liked the story that is why I posted it, doesn't matter to me if it's true.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
". Plus, every cruise ship I have been on has no 13th deck, they go from 12 to 14 or else the decks have names instead.
There are some ships that have deck 13. I was just on the Norwegian Pearl. That ship has a deck 13. Norwegian Pearl Deck Plans | Cruise Ship Amenities | Norwegian Cruise Line
Carnival Miracle 12/23/08
Carnival Legend 4/1/07
Carnival Liberty 1/1/06,11/21/06
Caribbean Princess 5/28/05
Norwegian Wind 3/20/04
Carnival Legend 12/20/02, 3/18/03
Carnival Fascination 11/1/02
Carnival Victory 3/17/02
Carnival Triumph 3/17/01
RCI Majesty Of The Seas 1/5/01
Carnival Ecstasy 1/15/99, 2/04/00
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Admiral

But is it called deck 13? I know I was on deck 11, on the Pearl, in a minisuite November 2008. I do realize there is a deck above the lido, there was a lounge there that we frequented, (above the spa area) but I don't think it is called deck 13.

Which is what I said, if decks are numbered, they go from deck 12 to 14, so in reality they have a deck 13, it is simply not listed as deck 13.

However,I know for a FACT that Caribbean Princess went from deck 12 to 14. My room was on deck 12 and I thought it hilarious that the next deck as listed as 14. so, I seriously doubt any Princess ship has a deck 13.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Welcome Newcomer

That's a spooky story, but just a story none the less.
The fire broke out on the Diamond Princess, this would have caused a delay in her delivery so the names were swapped between the Diamond and the Saphire to ensure delivery on time from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to P & O. There were 1000 workers on the ship at the time of the fire but all were evacuated safely.
The fire broke out on the 5th floor known as the Plaza, there is no 13th floor on this ship or any others in fact many multi story buildings do not have a 13th floor a such this is usualy reserved as a plant and equipment floor( air con, power etc) or level due to the superstitious nature of many cultures, it is bad enough that it can have a negative effect even in the world of commerce which I became aware of when working in banking and finance.( to clarify there is physically a 13th floor in some but not for public use or access)
So a great story to scare the pants of the unknowing.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Sam View Post
That's a spooky story, but just a story none the less.
The fire broke out on the Diamond Princess, this would have caused a delay in her delivery so the names were swapped between the Diamond and the Saphire to ensure delivery on time from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to P & O. There were 1000 workers on the ship at the time of the fire but all were evacuated safely.
The fire broke out on the 5th floor known as the Plaza, there is no 13th floor on this ship or any others in fact many multi story buildings do not have a 13th floor a such this is usualy reserved as a plant and equipment floor( air con, power etc) or level due to the superstitious nature of many cultures, it is bad enough that it can have a negative effect even in the world of commerce which I became aware of when working in banking and finance.( to clarify there is physically a 13th floor in some but not for public use or access)
So a great story to scare the pants of the unknowing.
Nice someone has got some sense besides me.

I have now achieved-
139 days total