Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Does Your Cabin Matter?

Yes, I know we all dream about getting upgraded to the Owner's Suite, with six butlers serving our every whim....

But does the cabin really matter to you. Are you a balcony snob, where you'll only cruise with a balcony now? Or do you prefer the complete darkness an inside cabin offers? Do you not care where or what, as long as you are cruising?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Admiral

I love the darkness of an inside cabin. I wish I could obtain the "blackout" at home.

I'm also too cheap to pay for a view that I would never enjoy. We spend very little time in our cabin, so I see no point in paying for one.

If the upgrade fair visited me, I might accept her pixie dust just to try it out and see what all of the hullabaloo is.

I'd take 3 or more cruises with an inside cabin to your verandah or suite, thank you very much.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Admiral

I would take one amazing itinerary for me to cruise without a balcony. We spend a ton of time out there and would really miss it. It's our little sanctuary for breakfast, lunch some dinners and just quiet time on sea days. I'm far less fussy on my cabin than I am my balcony.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Captain

When we were younger, an inside was just fine with us. In fact, our very first cruise in 1987 was an inside with an upper and lower berth We used the cabin to sleep, shower and change. Now, 24 years later, we spend far more time in the cabin so at least want an ocean view. Our last cruise we had a balcony for the first time and it was great but we sail in 8 days in an ocean view again. The ship and itinerary were important to us but a balcony was not in the budget. An ocean view cabin is way WAY better than no cruise at all in my books.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I love a balcony, but, I am not a balcony snob,would sail an ov but not inside..I did it once,and I need the light..

I find that the layout is more important than the size..I find it amazing how the little boo boos in the design plan, can impact how one enjoys the space.

Btw, if I had a butler, I would give him the week off

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 20th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Admiral

We book insides with the last 2 and the upcoming being PT class on Carnival. Actually an outside but only with portholes at the price of a class of insides. We like those layouts but not having windows is no problem for us. One time we had a balcony and other that when at dock we did not use the balcony, and it did not mean we spent anymore time in the cabin so balconies are not worth it to us.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Admiral

As long as I have a comfortable bed I can be anywhere .
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am not pickey about the location, but yes, have to have a balcony. We always do use them and enjoy the quiet time sitting outside, early in the am or later in the evening before turning in. Your first cup of coffee out on the balcony is what cruising is about for me anyway....

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Admiral

I think I must be the only person who can do without a balcony .
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Admiral

The thought of an inside, gives me the willies! Unfortunately Balconies are addictive. Once you've had one -- it is very hard to go back. We think they are wonderful.
When I daydream about what I'd "rather be doing," inevitably this is it:

Cruising in the tropics, on the shady side of the ship, on my veranda, reading a really good book, with no deadlines. Sigh! Now That's livin!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:28 PM
First Mate

My first cruise was an inside cabin because my travelmate was cheap. I survived, but I always had a difficult time waking up without some natural light coming in. Maybe if they had an alarm clock light or something that might help. My 2nd cruise was OV, and that was wonderful. I was up and at'em pretty easily every day. On a longer voyage with more at sea days, I could see where I might enjoy a balcony cabin, but just being there is most of the fun.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Admiral

I have fallen in love with the aft/corner wrap around balcony. I will sail with a regular balcony or an OV, but I really prefer the aft/corner balcony if I can get it. The cabin and the balcony are usually larger and are the same price as a regular balcony in the same catagory. For example, our recent Europe cruise on the Voyager OTS we had a D1 balcony on deck 10 that was aft/corner. Our cabin was larger, and the balcony was over double the size of a normal D1, but we paid the exact same price if we had taken a D1 balcony anywhere else on the ship.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Admiral

I'm not a balcony snob-- I just like a balcony. I wouldn't, on the other hand , pay the extra money for a suite. I've stayed in all categories and as long as I can afford a balcony, I'll pay for it. I really don't mind an outside either but really, really hate an inside.I like to at least to be able to see outside. Location is also important to me-- I don't want to be mid-ship, although people sing the praises of a smoother ride, etc.--if the water get rough enough to be a problem, I don't care where you are you will feel it.The traffic mid-ship can be disturbing late at night as you have people coming and going both directions. I want to have a passenger deck over and beneath me-- do not want to ever again have to be under the galley !! Been there --done that once- that was enough!
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Although I am almost have a balcony, what is important to me is a large bathroom, a large closet, and a good desk. There have been port intensive cruises where I have never used my balcony but I always use bathroom, closet, and desk.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:28 AM
Admiral

Default Not a snob...

The cabin type & location is vital to us, aft balcony is the one we try to get if the ship has them, the views are superb & if the ship is going the right way you can get a sunrise & sunset into your cabin, we have some lovely memories of sailing into/out of places like Venice. Funny thing I find is that those who say they only use the cabin to sleep /wash/change & never spend ANY time there are always in the cheap cabins that nobody would want to spend any time in anyway!
Another thing I have noticed is that those who never spend time in the cabin, is that they do spend a lot of time in the bars & the coffee bar, most without actually buying anything but just sitting there reading or doing puzzles, therefore actually hogging a seat that could be used by someone who actually wanted to buy a drink.
We have always been the same, seats on planes for instance, why not have a type & position that is more comfortable, hotel rooms too, you can get one at the back over the kitchens or one with a view of the sea & gardens with more room.
Another reason we like a ''nice'' cabin is that we find very little on ships that interests us during the days at sea...like classes to learn stuff "at a nominal fee." We have never found space by any pool on any ship & neither would we want to looking at the crowds crammed together, so our balcony with a view of the sea is valuable to us, after all we can actually see the sea from the balcony, at some of the pools you could be anywhere.
PS my avatar pic is from our aft balcony on Arcadia sailing out of Venice

Last edited by johnthed0g; January 21st, 2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: PS
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Does cigarette smoke cross balconies if you know what I mean - that would really irritate me - I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke.

Like Marc, I like a decent bathroom.
I have sailed in both an inside and oceanview and for me at least, there was very little difference but I know I would enjoy a balcony if I was guaranteed it was smoke free. Therefore I think it will have to be a wrap-around balcony.

BTW John, I do sit in the bars and lounges with a book......and a drink or two....

Annie
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:18 AM
Admiral

I think decent bathroom & cruise ship don't really go together...now that to me is something that is purely a practical thing, as long as you can do what you have to it's fine. On Azura our bathroom was quite small because they didn't have a bath, who needs a bath? we did have a nice & very useful dressing/hanging area though. Best bathrooms we have found are on Celebrity, as I remember Connie having a large room with a double basin, & Eclipse had a wonderful bathroom with a huge shower that had actual doors.
Coffee bars are for people buying the product & I think it's even more important to move on when you have finished, sorry, but I find it most irritating to go to the coffee bar having trekked down from the upper decks only to find nowhere to sit because table hogs are doing soduku or more like ("sod-you-too''), playing cards or similar.
Cigarette smoke does carry across from balconies, but you are outside, doesn't bother me but my wife can't stand it, I found the aroma of cooking more offensive on Azura. The smoke was worse along corridors of inside cabins where smoking wasn't allowed but obviously took place.
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Admiral

On HAL, the coffee shop was quiet; maybe because it was located next to a large library with plenty of crossword tables

Now if I paid for a standard balcony cabin and my next door neighbour's smoke crossed over - I would be cross. I am with your wife there.

I think I would like next to sail on a smoke-free vessel if one exists. Az Journey came very close.

Annie
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Admiral

On Azura the Costa coffee outlet "Java" was actually OK only once or twice we couldn't get a seat, good coffee too, if you like Costa.
People can't smoke virtually anywhere on Celebrity.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Thanks John. Costa is good for me. That reminds me when I visit the US in March to bring my own coffee Thanks for info on Celebrity - might check that out - just have to find a smaller vessel
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I would take one amazing itinerary for me to cruise without a balcony. We spend a ton of time out there and would really miss it. It's our little sanctuary for breakfast, lunch some dinners and just quiet time on sea days. I'm far less fussy on my cabin than I am my balcony.
totally agree, love our balconies, love being able to go outside whenever we feel like, especially at night in jammies to look at the stars
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:54 AM
Admiral

On our last cruise people came on deck at night in bathrobes
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
On our last cruise people came on deck at night in bathrobes
Good Lord, whatever next?...I hope it wasn't a formal night!!
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:19 AM
Admiral

We almost always book "inside" and REALLY enjoy those cabins. Occasionally, we'll get upgraded to a balcony, and frankly, I don't see a lot of difference. On a seven day cruise, I might go outside onto the balcony two or three times, but certainly, not enough to justify the extra cost. Interior of the cabins (inside & standard balcony) are almost exactly the same, except the balcony doesn't offer the privacy, or intimate darkness available for those afternoon naps.

"SKY"
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
John, on my HAL cruise to Alaska, we sailed into College Fjord very early in the morning - I would not like to tell you how many people were on the deck wearing their pyjamas! Why not?

Annie
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Admiral

You see Annie, the clue is in the statement "at night" so I made a little joke about it being "formal" do you see? You shouldn't be so sentitive about these things!
Sorry, don't understand anyone preferring an inside cabin, except perhaps those with toddlers who want to keep then under control. The cost of an outside is minimal on modern ships & a balcony just a little more, older ship do charge a lot more though.
We have always said we would rather not go than have anything less than an outside....but I suppose if a really good deal came up we would have to think about it..it would have to be a really good price for somewhere we wanted to go.
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Default Formal night

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post

On one of the formal nights there was a woman in the dining room at a table directly in front of me but she was facing a guy and I could not see her clearly .It appeared that she was wearing a bathrobe to both me and my friend sitting next to me .When she got up it turned out to be a white sweater .
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:01 AM
Admiral

John - I did get the joke - honest! I am Scots and we are a very sensitive nation.

For me, ultimately, itinerary is the primary consideration in the selection of a vessel followed by smoke policy followed by passenger capacity. Only then would cabin be a factor.

The itinerary would have to be exceptional for me to select a vessel that permitted smoking and was big on formal nights!

Annie
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
Admiral

For us the smoking thing is something we just have to put up with, it's better now it is banned inside, it was impossible to enter the Pub type bars before.
I think itinery is the first thing for us, as we haven't been everywhere yet. We haven't been on a ship that we wouldn't go on again, we have preferred some over others. Price is important to us so it's always a compromise between what we want & what we want to pay. We went on the Azura for a month, it was great value especially for Xmas & new year, but there is a limit on what a holiday can be worth, it's only a holiday after all. I find it very difficult to believe that some people go on several world cruises (or so they say) decent cabin + spending must be 40k for two. I think a lot of people go on imaginary cruises, especially on sites like P&O, Cruisedot etc.
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I think I must be the only person who can do without a balcony .
Nope, you are not alone. We have sailed most recently in an inside (14 day TA) and ocean view (11 days southern Caribbean). Most days on the ov, the curtain was closed. So, I can do inside easily and just pop up to any open deck to hang over the rail. I will take an ov or balcony or any upgrade if they want to give it to me, but just as happy in an inside with extra $$ in our pocket for other things!