Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

Old February 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Admiral

I've been cruising independently of my parents for a little over 10 years now. 13 years ago, when I booked my first cruise ,it was through a travel agent, who took the time to explain the dress code to me. This is *we* learned and have kept it up.

Today, most people book on-line or book through a TA just to get the OBD. The interactions with the TA are minimal. The same "service" isn't there that was 10 years ago. I just booked Eurodam througha a TA (to get the OBC) ... he never once mentioned dress code. I booked Disney DREAM through a TA, and she never mentioned dress code (okay, its more lax on DIsney, but still).

So, I can see how someone could end up on a cruise, not *prepared*.

Message boards are cluttered wtih posts from people who say, "forget what the dress code says, my husband were shorts to the MDR ... you'll be okay". The problem is that the cruiseline does not often ENFORCE the dress code. They let one guy in wearing jeans on a formal night and then he comes home and brags on the internet that he was able to get away it. The next guy goes on a cruise, gets stopped from entering the MDR and is LIVID and causes a scene.

I'm sorry, but its up to the cruise line to enforce. Rather than telling us what is recommended wear, they need to tell us what is prohibbitted, and then they need to enforce it. We can figure out the rest.

On a recent cruise (Grandeur OTS?) I saw a young man get turned away from breaksfast in teh MDR because he was sleeveless and had a hat on. Kudos to that Maitre D for enforcing the dress code.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Admiral

John, I seriously think you need therapy to get over your obsession with dress codes.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Marc

All Europeans are not the same! That is the same as saying that all Americans are the same and I know that a lot of CMs have love/hate relationships with a certain city.

JTD and I, I deduce, are of similar age but poles apart in our views of formal dress. Go figure...

My personal dress code covers most bases except maybe Cunard formal.

I just hate some CMs trying to dictate a dress code. I have never had a problem with the Cruise Lines but again I don't wear jeans or shorts.

Annie
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Trip,

Please what is a Formal Wedding?

There is a huge difference between Scots and English weddings. Being a Scot, I have to say we hold a vastly superior wedding and not a DJ in sight - yeah!

Annie
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Queen of Oakville, I agree with your post today about people not being told wha tis expected by TA's.

We went on our first cruise in Jan 2005 and even though I had done 2 cruises in the late 60's early 70's I was not sure what was expected but and this is a big one I went to the cruise line webstie and read every thing they had posted about the whole cruise experience especially what the dress code was. I was not sure of what was expected on a couple of things so I did a search to find what the different codes ment. And I do think that a lot of people don't do that. If you book with a TA then they should explain about dress codes and other things about a cruise especially to some one who has not cruised before or if it is a line that the person has not cruised on before.

The worse case of letting people in the MDR in whatever they want to wear that I have seen was on our first cruise with MSC. The ones tha tdressed the worse were the Italian men then the German men. The women dressed good and I don't understand how they would let their husband's dress they way they did. One our second MSC crusie it was not as bad so maybe they had told the Italians and Germans what not to were.

I know that if we were to go on a Cunard crusie we would have to get fancier formal clothes than what we now have. But we would do it.

With my earlier story about the guy on NCL even though NCL does not have a strict dress code if he had bothered to read the daily he would have known that shorts aren't allowed in the dining rooms at night.
2005-2 Princess, 2006-Princess MSC, 2007-NCL,2008-Carnival & RCI, 2009- MSC & Carnival, 2010- 2 Carnival,2011-Carnival, 2012-Carnival & MSC, 2013-MSC & Carnival, 2014- 2 MSC, 2015-2 Carnival & MSC, 2016-NCL & Carnival,2017- MSC, 2018-2 NCL & MSC & RCI, 2019 RCI & Carnival
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Admiral

JTD and I, I deduce, are of similar age but poles apart in our views of formal dress. Go figure...
This thread was to discuss why it seems people just don't understand what is required.
As for being ''poles apart'' in dress code I don't know why you say that, other that I will go with the flow & you have fixed ideas!
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Trip,

There is a huge difference between Scots and English weddings. Being a Scot, I have to say we hold a vastly superior wedding and not a DJ in sight - yeah!

Annie
I agree Annie! Scots wedding are great!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
John, I seriously think you need therapy to get over your obsession with dress codes.
Rather unpleasant I feel...
But I am not obsessed with dress codes, I find it interesting that is true, that people cannot seem to grasp what the requirements are. I wonder why they bother going on a holiday with conditions they don't like or is it that they just don't understand, which is why I started the thread.
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Black tie, to me, in my area, means, a tux and a gown, formal here, means,dark suit,and cocktail attire..

I honestly don't think anyone is telling anyone one what to wear..I am saying that, following the guidelines set forth by the cruise line,for the mdr should be respected, just as I would follow an invitation to any gala or wedding, or fine restaurant.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Black tie, to me, in my area, means, a tux and a gown, formal here, means,dark suit,and cocktail attire..

I honestly don't think anyone is telling anyone one what to wear..I am saying that, following the guidelines set forth by the cruise line,for the mdr should be respected, just as I would follow an invitation to any gala or wedding, or fine restaurant.
Exactly, I cannot think of anything clearer. I wonder why people get confused?
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Trip,

Annie
Surely nobody wears DJ to a wedding, morning dress perhaps but a DJ is for dinner, the clue is in the name.
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

I spend a lot of time on German ship AIDA,

There are "no rools" at all on AIDA
because everybody knows them , on US ship I
read even that I must wash my hands min. 30 sek after living
rest rooms.

sorry, But so many silly rools as on US ships I've never seen in my live,
they tell you every time what is prohibited.
there is even some art of police in uniform on big US ships.

"AIDA" have no rools at all I mean they don't try tell you
some simply obvious stuff 10 time a day , they
think people know themself that it have no cense e.g. to seat on the balcony railings.

Of course there is enought security personal on German
ships too, but you would never notice them on AIDA.

And there is a great dresscode in ADIDA sauna

you must be naked in the sauna and there is no separate women
or men sauna : "girls and boys" are together.

dress code - no clothes at all (of course this "strong rool" is not writtten anywere), but if you would try to enter the sauna e.g. is swimming shorts not the administration but passangers would ask you to put off all your stuff, because it is a nice tradition and not the rool.

baby shower games, youtube
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Trip;1352284]Black tie, to me, in my area, means, a tux and a gown, formal here, means,dark suit,and cocktail attire.. np

I honestly don't think anyone is telling anyone one what to wear

Trip I respectfully disagree. When I find the post - I will post it.

JTD - I don't mean you either. There are other posters who share your views who are conspicuous by their absence.

I cruise simply to access a certain geographical area.

They could skip dinner altogether as far as I am concerned.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Surely nobody wears DJ to a wedding, morning dress perhaps but a DJ is for dinner, the clue is in the name.
Morning dress - you are having a laugh!

Most weddings in Scotland commence 1500 hrs with the evening meal 1700/1800 hrs.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Exactly, I cannot think of anything clearer. I wonder why people get confused?
The bottom line is surely some folks like to dress up and some don't. That is why some folks choose to cruise Cunard and P&O.

You will never change that.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Admiral

Sergie

There is a lot of truth in what you say.

There are some fashion police on these boards.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

exactly and the key word is respect
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Morning dress - you are having a laugh!

Most weddings in Scotland commence 1500 hrs with the evening meal 1700/1800 hrs.

Annie
Yep "morning dress" is usual down here for the more formal wedding, by formal I mean not a quick ceremony at the reg. Office. I would say wedding are at a similar time here too, maybe a bit earlier. Drinks-ceremony-drinks-meal-speeches etc- dancing & more drinks-buffet -a fight or two-more drinks....
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The bottom line is surely some folks like to dress up and some don't. That is why some folks choose to cruise Cunard and P&O.

You will never change that.

Annie
Don't want to change anything, I don't care personally.
What I don't understand is why people don't understand!!
A long thread on P&O on this at the moment, but basically about the only people who query the dress codes are those who are looking for a reason not to comply. Really what it comes down to is some just don't get the "dress" thing at all, they can't tell the difference between looking smart & dressing to the code, they don't seem to realise that the whole point of a dress themed evening is to remain in the prescribed attire for the entire evening, & not doing so or changing later or taking your jacket/tie off is not part of the theme. If people don't like the rules don't book the cruise. It's all published information, I do appreciate that the cruise lines mixed messages about rule don't help.
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Admiral

JTD

You want fellow cruisers to stay in formal dress the whole evening? I think this affects the gentlemen more than the ladies. I do pass the 'formal' test BTW - I just allow for individuality.

Personally, I do not like dining with a gentleman in a DJ - never mind attend a show with a gentleman in a DJ! So stressful!

I know you love P&O and sailing from SOTON, therefore our paths will never cross

I choose a vessel by itinerary and not by dress code and CMs who advise me to choose a different line will continue to be ignored even though I am not a 'casual' dresser.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yep "morning dress" is usual down here for the more formal wedding, by formal I mean not a quick ceremony at the reg. Office. I would say wedding are at a similar time here too, maybe a bit earlier. Drinks-ceremony-drinks-meal-speeches etc- dancing & more drinks-buffet -a fight or two-more drinks....

I have never attended a reg office wedding and can honestly say I have never seen 'morning dress' worn even at a Cathedral or Abbey wedding in Scotland.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Admiral

ok, so getting back to the original posting, the cruise line lets you know in writing what the dress code for the evening is, posted in the ships paper right there in front of you in black and white, whats expected of you, thats it end of discussion i think was the point john was trying to make
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
ok, so getting back to the original posting, the cruise line lets you know in writing what the dress code for the evening is, posted in the ships paper right there in front of you in black and white, whats expected of you, thats it end of discussion i think was the point john was trying to make
No cruise line has never advised me in writing what a dress code is prior to or at the point of booking.

'Formal' has many different interpetations also.

If anything, I think cruise lines need to use terms like Black Tie etc. But yet again they never enforce dress codes and on this JTD and I agree so why bother?

I allow for expression of the individual.

Anyway I am never in contravention of dress code.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Admiral

All cruise brochures or online home sites, let you know, in writing, the dress guidelines.

Old February 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Thanks Trip - that is why I did not know; I search cruises by itinerary. I freely admit I have never read a cruise brochure! However as has been said by someone else, TAs rarely mention the topic.

My cruising experience is very limited. However on my HAL Alaskan cruise, the formal code was not adhered to. In fact, I felt overdressed.

Annie
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Annie, Alaskan cruises tend to be more relaxed for sure......

Old February 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

JTD....

Please go easy on Brown Eyed Girl. She is not a regular poster and is not used to the banter that happens.

Brown Eyed Girl - don't take what we say as a personal affront - I think JTD is actually curious about what holidays other than cruises require formal dress. Here in America I cannot think of many - to be honest.

I completely agree that the people asking really want to know how serious the cruise lines are about the codes - not what the codes say.

And I think it is a valid question for a newcomer to cruising. After all, it isn't just a matter of what you prefer to wear, it is a matter of what you have to get dry-cleaned, pressed, pick-up, borrow, buy, etc.

Especially for people with kids who are growing a few inches every year it is very common - "Do my boys need to have jackets for formal night?"

I don't mind answering the question and I don't always assume it is just about laziness or ignorance. Moms have things they need to know.

Now - I just saw a Google update from CC about a BIG STORY they just did - the great "can I leave the balcony door open?" debate.

Umm, no, you can't. That wastes energy which makes their fuel costs go up which will lead to fuel surcharges in the near future. Is it really THAT big a debate?
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
JTD
You want fellow cruisers to stay in formal dress the whole evening? I think this affects the gentlemen more than the ladies. I do pass the 'formal' test BTW - I just allow for individuality.
Annie
No I don't want anyone to stay in formal dress at all, the cruise line does.
If they ask & I accept this by booking then I do it. But..this thread wasn't really about dress codes as such, just why people don't seem to understand them.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Admiral

If you ask a cruiser who has inches of past cruises under their belt, I bet the majority of the would say, it was a pleasure to peruse the catalogues, to get a sense of each line,and decide where you want to go,and read all about the hows,whens and whys on a cruise

Currently, I might bet, some of the people who book online, tend to look at only the pages that will get them to the, click to buy stage.

Things have changed, and I do think it would behoove any agent to let the new cruiser be aware of dress guidelines, etc..I bet hardly anyone reads the cruise contract anymore,part of which says, a ship will take you on a cruise,maybe not the ports you want to see, but a cruise In much more legal terms of course

Last edited by Trip; February 15th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
Has never happened to me in 15 cruises. I've never been sent anything to do with dress code. I have to dig to find it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets