Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Familiar Face

Default Maximum number of couples traveling together should be two if your not traveling in a

As I spoke with my uncle about a recent European cruise he did not go on. He said that he had been invited but his son and his wife were also inviting a couple to travel with them who were closer in age to them. I said I agreed with his decision not to go on the trip because generally when you have three couples traveling together even thought they seem to be compatible they have a rough time. In a situation with only two couples traveling together decisions about what to do are easy to make - the women get together and decide and the men follow along. When you have two couples traveling together, two women can gossip with each other but a third woman throws a wrench into the gossip trust. Men can talk about sports and comment about the local atmosphere scenery without worrying about the third guy discussing their observations with his wife. With groups you can travel with three couples on more because the rules of conduct are established by the group.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Your observations crack me up!
I wonder what the ladies have to say.
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Your observations crack me up!
I wonder what the ladies have to say.
We might be schocked if we knew!
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Default Traveling together

Interesting comments.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "traveling together." Indeed often on cruises we have seen groups -- two couples, as well as three or more -- sitting around trying to decide what to do while everybody else is getting off and doing their thing.

We have traveled in mixed groups of many kinds, such as the two of us and another couple, or two couples, or us and two or more ladies, or us and another couple and two ladies, and so on. (Check the link in our sig below for some interesting combos).

We always make it very plain at the beginning that we are not all bound together by a golden thread! There is little "deciding what to do" because we do not necessarily do it as a group. If we head off to trivia and somebody else goes to line dancing, that is fine. We may get together, or some of us get together for dinner or we may not. Some of us might go to the show and some to the lounge and some to bed.

Shore excursions are usually planned well in advance. Usually DW and I decide what we want to do and invite others to join us if they wish, or do their own thing if that suits them.

This works for us, and means we can travel in all sorts of groups with little problem. If our friends are the independent type, they go off on their own. If they are a bit more clingy they just come along with us.

YMMV.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 8th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Captain

We have another couple we normally cruise with but one time we went with several couples, all family members.
Before we all booked the cruise, my cousin and his wife, the ones we normally cruise with and us informed everyone else about how we roll and it is simply this.

When we cruise, it is your vacation and you should do as you like. We may choose to do things together or we may not. We may spend the day together or we may not. We keep things loose and don't make the others feel like we HAVE to do everything together. We do eat together and there we talk about our days adventures.
This worked very good with us and our other family members, however, they didn't heed our advise as to themselves and there was alot of bickering and fighting amongst themselves over what they were going to do each day. My one uncle and his wife told us later that he would cruise with my cousin and me again but not the others because of the way we do things.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like your style Truck Cruiser.

This thread made me think of my wife and her girlfriends on a cruise together.
I'm booking one for us Monday with another couple.

I cruise like Truck Cruiser and so does my daughter. My wife is getting on board finally. On our first cruise she was so mad at me. I wanted to put my feet up and she didn't.
On our second cruise she loosened way up. Now I think I can get her to do a bigger group. I'm still reluctant to invite more than one of her girlfriends though. I spent 24 hours with some of her girlfrieds at a cancer reasearch fundraiser and holy cow the gossip...
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Captain

My wife and I are pretty much like that too. We don't feel the need to do everything together so we often go our seperate ways and meet up again later in the day.

I couldn't imagine going on a cruise with my wife and a bunch of her friends. I think I would just let her go by herself and then maybe plan a mancation for me and my buddies.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Admiral

We have cruised with 3 couples ,5 couples ,2 couples and on our own .

When you cruise with more than one couple there could be problems especially if you desire to spend time together .

We were with a couple who only liked 50's music ,another only jazz .It could lead into a problem.
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

My best gal friend is my cruise buddy and i couldn't think of anyone better. We made friends on the ship with other people, and with some activity times she wanted to do one thing, and i another. So we would split off and set times and places to check in with each other. We were together quite a bit, but if i felt like taking a nap on the deck and she felt like shopping......i took a nap on the deck and she went shopping. It was my time away from my stressful life and i enjoyed it big time....and so did she! We plan on doing another next may just she and i.

Now the following May we are gathering a rather decent sized group of people to (hopefully) go on the "Breakaway" and i have already warned the people planning on going....you are expected to leave me alone when i want to be alone and relax....lol. such a great friend!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski