CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Three CruiseMates Election Day Predictions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/392920-three-cruisemates-election-day-predictions.html)

Paul Motter November 5th, 2012 03:59 PM

Three CruiseMates Election Day Predictions

Three CruiseMates Election Day Predictions
by Paul Motter

This is a very close race but we have our own Election Day certainties about the future of cruising.

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM/home/9-11.jpg
Announcing: predictions on the future of cruising

This is a very close election and it is vital for everyone to get out and vote. Now, to be honest we have no idea who is going to win this election, but we can make some predictions about what is coming in the near future no matter what; and so we are presenting our Election Day predictions.

Our first prediction is that cruising is still growing. There were four announcements of brand new ships to be built in just the last month alone. Our second prediction is that these ships will be bigger and higher capacity to maximize the efficiency of fixed costs per passenger. Our final prediction is that the cruise industry will grow at a somewhat slower but steady rate for the next four years at least. Royal Caribbean estimates its forward rate of growth is approximately three-percent.

Truck Cruiser November 6th, 2012 03:02 AM

I look for travel restrictions to Cuba to be removed for U.S. Citizens visiting via a cruise ship in the next 4 years.

Old laws forbidding foreign ships from starting and ending a cruise from the U.S. without stopping at a foreign port to be lifted.

More safety regulations for ships operating out of U.S. ports to take effect also.

Donna November 6th, 2012 07:27 AM

OH CT,
I would also vote for those laws to be changed, they are so old now and don't really serve any purpose..

Manuel November 6th, 2012 09:58 AM

I also would like to be able to visit Cuba.

Now I ask this question. Are they building too many ships?

TM

babe ruth November 6th, 2012 04:02 PM

I predict that the Jones act will be repealed. This is the law that prevents foreign-flagged and staffed ships from cruising only US ports.

I also predict that more lines will include at least soft drinks and water, without additional charge. And some will (and have) added all drinks on the "included list".

Finally, I predict that along with the increase in "mega ships" there will be an increase in the number of small "boutique" ships.

Manuel November 6th, 2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babe ruth (Post 1453907)
I predict that the Jones act will be repealed. This is the law that prevents foreign-flagged and staffed ships from cruising only US ports.

I also predict that more lines will include at least soft drinks and water, without additional charge. And some will (and have) added all drinks on the "included list".

Finally, I predict that along with the increase in "mega ships" there will be an increase in the number of small "boutique" ships.

Those are fine predictions. I hope that they come thru.

TM

Mike M November 6th, 2012 04:14 PM

I predict that I will cruise more in the next four years than I did in the previous four years.

Manuel: I have wondered the same thing each time batches of newbuilds come out and each time they fill them and keep filling them. There is a reason the companies build the ships and if they didn't think they would have the passengers to fill them they would stop building.

I predict that ships will become more of a "resort/Vegas" destination with TRUE Las Vegas entertainment and more "surcharge" dining options.

Take care,
Mike

Paul Motter November 6th, 2012 04:22 PM

Certainly, opening Cuba would be a real boost - it used to be the top destination for ships leaving Miami (obviously). But things have changed there.

Truck - I am very interested in hearing what safety changes you would like to see instated. This is a topic I also find interesting - whether or not they have done enough, and if not, what else they could do.

Too many ships?

Not if you figure that the growth rate is just about 3%/year. That is equal or less than the traditional growth rate for the industry for the last few years.

Truck Cruiser November 7th, 2012 04:36 AM

Paul I look for more security before the cruise such as a cannot cruise list, like the airlines have a no fly list. Body scanners are probably in the works too.

Onboard ship I think we will see armed security guards instituted, especially in areas where pirates are known to frequent the waters. The institution of "Catch nets" installed around the sides of the ship to catch those who would commit suicide.

These are just a couple of ideas but rest assured that our over regulating government will come up with something.

Mike M November 7th, 2012 09:51 AM

I personally believe that the Passenger Services Act has about as much chance of being repealed as I do in running a marathon.

There are too many people who would lose money because of it and would open our waters and air to a foreign, commercial, invasion. It also falls about 190th on Congress' "To Do" list. There is not sufficient interest, motivation or money to address it at this time.

I would like to see the Passenger Services Act rewritten to protect our best interests but it won't be repealed. While the act limits cruising it protects our airlines and cargo vessels.

Take care,
Mike

ToddDH November 7th, 2012 11:41 PM

I too hope Cuba will once again be added to the list of ports visited. While things can be rough there because of lack of infrastructure I think that such a move would prove not only beneficial to the cruiser but especially to the Cuban population vis-a-vis the relationship between the two countries. After all, while we gain in the "vacation" department, they gain in the all important "economic benefit" department as millions, possibly billions of investment dollars flow in. To my mind, it's a win-win.

Truck Cruiser November 8th, 2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1453978)
I personally believe that the Passenger Services Act has about as much chance of being repealed as I do in running a marathon.

There are too many people who would lose money because of it and would open our waters and air to a foreign, commercial, invasion. It also falls about 190th on Congress' "To Do" list. There is not sufficient interest, motivation or money to address it at this time.

I would like to see the Passenger Services Act rewritten to protect our best interests but it won't be repealed. While the act limits cruising it protects our airlines and cargo vessels.

Take care,
Mike

Maybe the Passenger Services act could be revised to just cover cruise ships that have a presence here year round. The cruise Industry is a multi billion dollar industry and money talks in Washington, you never know what could happen.