Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Three CruiseMates Election Day Predictions

Three CruiseMates Election Day Predictions
by Paul Motter

This is a very close race but we have our own Election Day certainties about the future of cruising.

Announcing: predictions on the future of cruising

This is a very close election and it is vital for everyone to get out and vote. Now, to be honest we have no idea who is going to win this election, but we can make some predictions about what is coming in the near future no matter what; and so we are presenting our Election Day predictions.

Our first prediction is that cruising is still growing. There were four announcements of brand new ships to be built in just the last month alone. Our second prediction is that these ships will be bigger and higher capacity to maximize the efficiency of fixed costs per passenger. Our final prediction is that the cruise industry will grow at a somewhat slower but steady rate for the next four years at least. Royal Caribbean estimates its forward rate of growth is approximately three-percent.

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Captain

I look for travel restrictions to Cuba to be removed for U.S. Citizens visiting via a cruise ship in the next 4 years.

Old laws forbidding foreign ships from starting and ending a cruise from the U.S. without stopping at a foreign port to be lifted.

More safety regulations for ships operating out of U.S. ports to take effect also.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

OH CT,
I would also vote for those laws to be changed, they are so old now and don't really serve any purpose..

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Admiral

I also would like to be able to visit Cuba.

Now I ask this question. Are they building too many ships?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Captain

I predict that the Jones act will be repealed. This is the law that prevents foreign-flagged and staffed ships from cruising only US ports.

I also predict that more lines will include at least soft drinks and water, without additional charge. And some will (and have) added all drinks on the "included list".

Finally, I predict that along with the increase in "mega ships" there will be an increase in the number of small "boutique" ships.
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth View Post
I predict that the Jones act will be repealed. This is the law that prevents foreign-flagged and staffed ships from cruising only US ports.

I also predict that more lines will include at least soft drinks and water, without additional charge. And some will (and have) added all drinks on the "included list".

Finally, I predict that along with the increase in "mega ships" there will be an increase in the number of small "boutique" ships.
Those are fine predictions. I hope that they come thru.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I predict that I will cruise more in the next four years than I did in the previous four years.

Manuel: I have wondered the same thing each time batches of newbuilds come out and each time they fill them and keep filling them. There is a reason the companies build the ships and if they didn't think they would have the passengers to fill them they would stop building.

I predict that ships will become more of a "resort/Vegas" destination with TRUE Las Vegas entertainment and more "surcharge" dining options.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Certainly, opening Cuba would be a real boost - it used to be the top destination for ships leaving Miami (obviously). But things have changed there.

Truck - I am very interested in hearing what safety changes you would like to see instated. This is a topic I also find interesting - whether or not they have done enough, and if not, what else they could do.

Too many ships?

Not if you figure that the growth rate is just about 3%/year. That is equal or less than the traditional growth rate for the industry for the last few years.

Old November 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Captain

Paul I look for more security before the cruise such as a cannot cruise list, like the airlines have a no fly list. Body scanners are probably in the works too.

Onboard ship I think we will see armed security guards instituted, especially in areas where pirates are known to frequent the waters. The institution of "Catch nets" installed around the sides of the ship to catch those who would commit suicide.

These are just a couple of ideas but rest assured that our over regulating government will come up with something.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I personally believe that the Passenger Services Act has about as much chance of being repealed as I do in running a marathon.

There are too many people who would lose money because of it and would open our waters and air to a foreign, commercial, invasion. It also falls about 190th on Congress' "To Do" list. There is not sufficient interest, motivation or money to address it at this time.

I would like to see the Passenger Services Act rewritten to protect our best interests but it won't be repealed. While the act limits cruising it protects our airlines and cargo vessels.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Admiral

I too hope Cuba will once again be added to the list of ports visited. While things can be rough there because of lack of infrastructure I think that such a move would prove not only beneficial to the cruiser but especially to the Cuban population vis-a-vis the relationship between the two countries. After all, while we gain in the "vacation" department, they gain in the all important "economic benefit" department as millions, possibly billions of investment dollars flow in. To my mind, it's a win-win.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I personally believe that the Passenger Services Act has about as much chance of being repealed as I do in running a marathon.

There are too many people who would lose money because of it and would open our waters and air to a foreign, commercial, invasion. It also falls about 190th on Congress' "To Do" list. There is not sufficient interest, motivation or money to address it at this time.

I would like to see the Passenger Services Act rewritten to protect our best interests but it won't be repealed. While the act limits cruising it protects our airlines and cargo vessels.

Take care,
Mike
Maybe the Passenger Services act could be revised to just cover cruise ships that have a presence here year round. The cruise Industry is a multi billion dollar industry and money talks in Washington, you never know what could happen.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13