Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default How thin are the walls?

We've been on one other cruise ab out 6 years ago. We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in ft. Lauderdale the night before. We arrived at the hotel in the middle of the day and were welcomed by the sound of some very loud sex in the room below us. I'm fairly certain they had their balcony door open as if we walked onto ours in seemed as if we were in the same room. That night,,,same thing...but the room next to us.

We are young, not prudes, and didnt have kids with us so it really wasnt a big deal....

....but now I'm thinking...how thin are the walls on the ships? I dont remember hearing anything through the walls but I really have to wonder what they heard from our cabin. We never got any complaints so I guess all is well, but maybe I'll be a little more concious of it this time around
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think the walls are Ok, for just normal talking, etc...Now, when it gets louder, especially with kids and loud music, that is a different story. I only had one bad expierence when on a cruise with a bunch of woman cruising, partying...It was both loud when they were in the cabin and on the balcony....OY...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In normal tones you "usually" don't hear conversations, but you may hear murmerings, depending on other noise in the cabin, ie, kids& tv.

Years back we heard someone, next door, singing a song, & really getting into it.. now I forget what it was, but at dinner I mentioned we were serenaded, and named the song, only to find out by our tablemate was the culprit! We all got a good laugh about it.

For the most part, you won't find an issue. Have a ball!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Captain

Our last cruise on the Norwegian Pearl I got up to go to the bathroom and while there could hear the folks in the next room doing the rumpy pumpy, all I can say is she must of been enjoying it

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'll say.. it depends on the ship. I've been on several where I could hear the people in the next cabin simply talking.

It's particularly true if you happen to get a cabin with a door to what could be used as adjoining cabins. The door is much less sound proof than a wall.
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:51 AM
Admiral

I have heard more noise from the hall than in neighboring cabins, or step type noises above. Of course on the balcony noise flows easily.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I've never had any real problem with noise. Then again, my neck often gets sore from leaning down and listening to the glass against the wall.

The biggest problem I've had with neighbors are leaving lights on, on the balcony. The worst was a couple who strung strobe "Christmas Lights" on the balcony. Those drove me nuts even with the curtains drawn. It took just a small conversation for them to turn them off before they went to bed.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

We usually get a room with a balcony. The worst noise problem we ever had was the time we were below the lido pool deck, and listened to the chairs and tables being rearranged. What is worse than noise is being next to somebody who smokes cigars on his balcony.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
Admiral

We've never had a problem with noise.
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

As far as noise from neighbors, hall, balcony, deck above, anchor, etc. all that will be less annoying as you young-ins age. I always have a quiet cabin no matter where it is located on the ship. During the day if I was to have a problem, I can turn the volume down and at bedtime I remove my hearing aids.

What did you say ,
O F C'er
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
Captain

We've never heard any amorous adventures from adjoining cabins however once when my Mother-in-law was on a cruise with us and in the cabin next to ours, as we were getting reading for dinner my wife asked me if I thought she should wear her black blouse or her white blouse. The phone immediately rang and it was my mother in law "Wear the white blouse honey.".
We all got a big kick out of that.
I always bring ear plugs with me when I travel for plane trips and motel / cabin rooms. Just to be safe.