Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Last Minute Cruise attempt

Good morning on this very frigid day in Michigan. For what seems like the 14th month in a row, it is single digits with another foot of snow projected tomorrow! So, I am knee jerking to the weather and forecast and asking myself, is it possible to get my wife, infant and me on a cruise. So, I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has experience with the questions below. Thanks in advance for your counsel and Happy Sailing!

*Note, we have only recently took our first cruise two years ago. It was really great. Now, we have a one year old (that's not why the cruise was great for those of you thinking that) So, I have concerns about traveling with an infant.

1) I have access to family right near Port Canaveral. We could easily get to the docks if needed. How do I know if there is space available? How do I plan to do this last minute effort? I can be completely ready with regards to luggage and necessities. But, it is really a scenario wherein you walk up, ask if there are open cabins, get an incredible rate and then get on board? My issue here is that I do not have a huge vacation fund to use.

2) Are there many issues in traveling with an infant? Do I need to ask special questions?

thanks again! Rob
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
1) I have access to family right near Port Canaveral. We could easily get to the docks if needed. How do I know if there is space available? How do I plan to do this last minute effort? I can be completely ready with regards to luggage and necessities. But, it is really a scenario wherein you walk up, ask if there are open cabins, get an incredible rate and then get on board? My issue here is that I do not have a huge vacation fund to use.
I would definitely BOOK the the cruise before I left town. You might find some last minute cruise bargains for next week for example, but do ALL of the price checking before you leave.

1) Cruise lines generally need at least 48 hours notice because they submit their manifests to US agencies.

2) You want to know how much that last-minute airfare is going to set you back

also) check weather conditions and watch out for airport closures, a delay could ruin your whole vaca....

Quote:
2) Are there many issues in traveling with an infant? Do I need to ask special questions?
None other than the usual - most major cruise lines now offer babysitting for babies 6-months or older. You need to bring your own formula, but you can probably buy diapers on board (not cheap, though). Some cruise lines even deliver them now - go to the web sites of each cruise line and search for "infants"

Old March 8th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Please don't show up at cruise terminal and try to book a last minute cruise. Unlike the airlines where you can book a flight for the same day; cruise lines need to submit the manifests to port agencies; sort of like airlines submitting their passenger manifest to TSA. I believe Paul mentioned this same info above.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 8th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Use to be we could book a cruise last minute - can't do that anymore. TSA has new regulations and, if I remember right, there is a 48 hour cutoff for booking now.

As for what's available, call your agent and let them do the work for you. They can check all the cruise lines and give you cabins and prices.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!