Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Ship's Registration

I saw a travel magazine last week at my daughter's house. It brought up a very interesting subject. As a country, we are working to eliminate terrorism anywhere we can find it right? Well, here is something terrifying that no one is doing anything about. One of Pres. Bush's methods is to shut down Bin Laden's money source. Another source of terrorism is Charles Taylor, the president of Libya. Libya's greatest source of income is from the registration of ships. In the cruiseship category, the largest amount of ships being registered in Libya belong to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. When asked about it, the line responded that they were "Thinking about changing." I remember when Celebrity instituted a charge for the thalassothery pools on the Millanium class ships, a letter writing campaign persuaded them to change their minds. I believe a similar campaign might help them change their minds about keeping their ships registered in Libya. What Charles Taylor does is support rebels who then amputate the arms (usually both of them) of the conquered people. It's even done to young children. Since West Africa is largely agrarian, this means the conquered people have no way of working to support themselves. With less money, that means less armies supported. I will do this, not a nasty e-mail, just the suggestion that it might be a sensible gesture to support anti terrorism. I will be sending it to Jack Williams, who is president of RCI at jwilliam@rccl.com

Carole
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Ship's Registration

Carole,
I'm not familiar with the article you're talking about, but just want to offer a correction.. The article was likely talking about Liberia, not Libya.

Libya is led by yet another prize.. Mohmar Kadhaffi.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 11th, 2001, 09:39 PM
HannaS77

I do not believe Royal Caribbean and celbrity vessels are flagged in Libya, but perhaps Liberia. RCI has some vessels registered in Liberia and some in Norway. As their newer ships come on line they are being registered in Norway. Celebrity. which was formerly a Greek cruise line has ships registered in Liberia. Source: Berlitz Complete Guide To Cruising and Cruise Ships by Douglas Ward.

Liberia is a nation in Africa that was founded by former slaves freed after the Civil War in the United States. . Liberia is on the U.S. State Department list of nations to avoid, or if you do go to the country be very care. It is beset beset with civil turmoil and. probably not suspect in the same dangerous class as Libya.

HannaS77
Old November 11th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Ccarole Dunham

Sorry Mo, I DID mean Liberia. Maybe I just have Arab names on my mind these days. Charles Taylor is definitely the president of Liberia.

Carole
Old November 11th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

They still will not be able to have them registered in the US so a foreign country will be involved.
Old November 13th, 2001, 11:26 AM
jp garnier

Very good points one and all. In these days of international terror and turmoil, it does seem ludicrous for free people to spend money for the benefit of companies that exhibit their willingness to pass it on through registration fees to tyrants and nations that clearly flout what the USA stand for. Maybe a letter from one member to all lines that engage in this practice and then endorsed by appropriate posts such "I agree with.." would be the way to display massive Americanisms of all cruisemates. JP
Old November 13th, 2001, 07:25 PM
David Starkey

Like many corporations, RCI is avoiding paying taxes(do you have any idea of the tax situation in Norway)and this is common to other lines, Carnival and some Princess ships. While I have been an investor in all of the above listed lines at one time or another, I agree its time to loose the flag of Liberia . I have always been suspect of "flags of convience" for the cruise ship industry. I would perfer to see ships registered in countries that have more strict maritime regulations(but at the same time, allow the line to make a profit). Having the ships US flagged would never work as the cruise would be so costly, few could afford it, not to mention the staffing and crewing of such vessels.
I am with everyone else...lets find another country to register these cruise ship in.