Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Passenger

Default A little confused on what to wear while on board the ship

HI.

I am taking my first cruise with Holland America to Alaska during the first week of June.

I am getting really confused on what to pack as far as clothes for this trip.

I have been reading that they want you to be relaxed and comfortable on your trip. That's great, but what is the big deal in how you dress?

Why is there a no jeans policy in public areas? I mainly wear jeans each week b/c I stay at home with my 2 children. I had planned on bringing jeans to wear on board and while touring Alaska. As I read more and more, I find out that jeans should not be packed.

I know everyone wants to look nice on board the ship and I do also, but does that mean I need to go and by a new wardrobe to fit in on the ship? I do have some dress clothes, pants, etc that I wear to church and some other places, but that's about it. My lifestyle doesn't use that many dress clothes when I am around toddlers all day.

Please help any way you can. I really want to enjoy my time on board, but this whole clothes thing is really getting me stressed! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: A little confused on what to wear while on board the shi

Hi LH,
I too will be going to Alaska on a cruise for the first time, and I do plan on bring jeans for the days off the ship on excersions, I think they will be fine. Save the other dressier clothes for dinner onboard. You may want to read through this section on Alaska, I've found some great tips in there:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...aska/index.cfm

Enjoy your cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 10th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Admiral

I've never heard of a no jeans policy except in the dining room at dinner time.

I don't pack jeans because they take up more space than khakis and they don't feature elastic in the waist

Also, if it's really chilly snuggish jeans have almost no insulation factor.

Don't worry, there are no fashion police except those who are self-appointed and you don't want to know them anyway.

Don't stress and have a great cruise !!!

Old April 10th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Carole Dunham

Clothes regulations only exist in the dining room at night, although people on HAL usually tend to stay in their dinner clothes for the evening. There are only two formal nights on a 7 night crjise and formal is pretty subjective, a pantsuit, church going clothes, a nice cocktail dress, all can be formal so you don't have to dress to the nines. I personally don't wear jeans, but I've seen them many times on Alaska cruises. Have a great cruise. We're going back for our 8th Alaska cruise this summer.

Carole
Old April 10th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for your replies! I feel so much better about how to dress on the cruise!

I will probably go shopping for some outfits for the cruise though to give me a chance to shop! ! But what you said will make things a lot easier when figuring out how to pack.

Thanks again.
Lisa

PS> The comment about the khakis and the elastic waist band...I never thought of that! Those may come in handy!
Old April 11th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Yeoman

Last cruise I was on ask for jackets in one of the dining rooms "if you brought one".