The Diamond Princess had a major fire in the shipyard in Japan! We're supposed to be on her second sailing in June. TA is holding cabins on the Star for us. Will Princess do something to compensate for this? Not like I'm expecting anything, because it's a shame that this happened. Just wondering....
Thanks a lot guys. My vacation plans for the beautiful new Diamond Princess just went up in smoke yesterday, and all you can do is ***** that I even wondered what Princess' contingency plans were for not only our party, but everyone else who's vacation plans have been thrown up in the air! It was my TA who said wait and see what Princess was going to do. Since we have already paid for 3 cabins on the Diamond, I guess we'll be going on the Star instead, becasue it sure doesn't look like they can get the ship completed and delivered. I'm going to have just as wonderful of time on the Star, but I know that there will be a lot of slightly dissapointed people that were planning to take innaugural sailings on the Diamond. Please lighten up.
But Rick, life isn't perfect, never has been, never will be. Lots ofo things can happen to new ships. Look at it this way, it's quite possible that the crew wouldn't have known the ship well enough to have given you a seamless experience, whereas The Star will be all broken in and running very well. Whichever ship you end up on, I hope you have a wonderful time.
Hey, we can have a great time in a row boat......as long as there's a bathroom! Seriously, we are just glad that we have the opportunity to go to Alaska. We're just as excited to go on the Star and I know we will have a wonderful time. Same ports, just a little different itinerary. Just saw the cliip on TV that showed the fire and the aftermath. Looks horrible! The spokesman for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries said they weren't sure if the ship could be saved or if they had to start completely over. What a drag. I'm just glad no one was hurt. It could have been worse. I was just taken aback by some of the replies.
But Rick, do you know for sure yet if your sailing on the Diamond is cancelled? I'm just asking because I don't know. It is only my opinion but I would think that Princess realizes how much compensation they will have to pay to cancel several already booked cruises on this ship as well as the bad public relations. If I were them I would hire more workers, work overtime, and get the project completed on schedule to avoid the business detractors. I sincerely hope for you they are able to meet their commitments and sail on the scheduled date.
I think we were a little confused at your original post when you had wondered about compensation when this tragedy had just happened and no one yet knew what the ramifications of the fire had been. Sorry for that!
I had a cruise cancelled due to cruise line rerouting. Due to the lateness of the cancellation, I was able to convince the cruiseline to give me what was in fact a two category upgrade since the lower categories were already sold out on the ship I swithched to. This cancellation was 10 months before sailing. If you were damaged, ask for compensation. If not, don't. Rebook on Star. If you are forced into paying for a higher category, ask for free upgrade. I recommend that you not delay as there were a lot of people in the same situation as yourself.
My only comment on compensation is that it seems to be a hot topic on cruise boards--what people got for free. I think it is unfortunate. I read of one guy on Carnival that spent his whole week videotaping perceived problems so that he could get some compensation! If his cruise was ruined, it was due to his own actions.
"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."
F Scott Fitzgerald
Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Rick, I too am booked on the Diamond, but not until Aug3rd. I spoke with a supervisor in reservations this morning and Princess is saying the yard will have the ship ready to sail in June. I understand that Princess and the builder had a ton of insurance on her and ton's of workers will work long hours to fix and finish the ship. I was going to rebook but have decided to wait and see how things progress. In truth I suspect the yard does't currently know "all" the damage thats been done or have a complete idea yet as to how long the "fix" will take. It would seem to me that just ordering much less manufacturing and instalation of new stuff or replacement would present a serious challenge to June sailings. I do know this order was important to the yard in Japan and to future new build cruiseship construction. I expect they will pull all the plugs and do an incredible amount of work in the up coming days and months.....
The impact will really depend on what points in the construction the decks were that burned, and the decks that got smoke and water damage.
Not only do they need to redo the lost work, but they need to clean up the mess. Have engineers determine if the heat from the flames will require any structural rebuilds as steel is damaged by extreme heat. It will most like be at least a month, and probably 2 months before a full impact is known. Insurance and saftey inspectors are also going to want to do a fair amount of study before things can progress again.
Throwing more workers at it is probably not going to get the ship off on schedule.
Good news is that they must have good saftey procedures to get all the workers to safety. Good job.
Well, this is interesting. I just got off the phone with Princess and the representative told me that the Diamond is still set to sail her inaugural sailing on June 19th! Mitsubishi must be tripling their efforts or working round the clock to pull this one off. I guess we'll just sit tight and see? We still have 3 cabins on hold for the Star, and our TA is taking the wait and see stand too for about 5 more days. So here's another question for you guys. Even if they rebuild and get her finished and delivered on time, would you still sail on her? Or would you question her sea worthiness after the fire? I'm sure they'll put her through many tests and inspections, but wouldn't it be in the back of you head? (OK that's 3 questions)
Well, in a word, no! I'd probably not question her seaworthiness since she'll be sailing across the ocean to get here. I question more the airplane I get on since I know it to be a 1970's version that's been upgraded and reworked many times to fit more passengers on board. But the steel and rivets are still 30 years or so in service. <grin>
I too am booked on the Diamond and for now I am going to leave the booking alone. I don't sail until Aug 3rd, but have booked the Amsterdam for Aug 2nd as a backup. I have not sailed the Star Princess and have not been impressed by the recent reviews of people that have sailed her. The pricing on HAL is high and I have a standard outside cabin on her, while I have a suite booked on the Diamond for $ 200.00 more.
I guess my real concern is not over the saftey issue of the Diamond, but if the Grand class of ship on Princess is just too big for me. I like ships in the 70-80,000 ton range.
I am a person who does not think that "bigger ships" are better.
I sort of feel the same way about the Star. I think the Diamond's intinerary was a little better. I totally forgot about the Amsterdam, but after looking at it, I found out that she does not make a stop in Skagway, which is where we wanted to do the dogsled excursion again. It's also $300 more for the same(?) type of mini suite we had on the Diamond. TA is still saying to hold tight, but I think for peace of mind's sake, I'll tell him to make the switch to the Star on Monday or Tuesday, as Princess should have their contingency plans in place by then. We saw the Star in Vancouver last July and she truly is a beautiful ship, and I'm positive that we'll enjoy her just as much. The only bad cruise is the one I'm not on!
With the probability of litigation, my guess is that safety concerns will be the highest priority as a jury is likely to be willing to accept a relationship between a subsequent failure and improper or hasty repair of the fire damage.
I WAS going to say book the Star to ease your concerns before I got to your last post but I see that's what you're thinking. As long as the itinerary is about the same, and you can get the stateroom you want for same price. Aren't these 2 ships similiar?, and the Star will only be a year old. You should have a good time anyways.