Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

Old October 5th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Familiar Face

Default Methadon program at sea

Do you know of any cruiselines or ships that dispense methadon for
those on the program.

Thanks!
Old October 5th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Methadon program at sea

Are you for REAL?
Old October 5th, 2003, 01:18 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Methadon program at sea

I think you would need to check with the cruise line and make special arrangements.
Old October 5th, 2003, 01:19 PM
anita kennedy

I would imagine you would have to check with the cruiseline rep themselves and make special arrangements.
Old October 5th, 2003, 01:19 PM
anita kennedy

sorry for the double post
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:13 PM
p.g.

Default Re: Re: Re: Methadon program at sea

Carol, your post was not neccesary. If someone asks aquestion either answer it or don't. Sounded like you made a judgement, everyone is entitled to cruise and some people have had issues that they have to deal with. Aren't you lucky your're not one of them.
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Admiral

I don't think anyone is condemning anyone, or at least making a judgement about them as a person. I hope not anyway. The question is somewhat surprising as being in this program is hard enough without leaving support for a week or more. You would have to check with the cruiseline itself but off-hand I would say no as this is a dangerous drug in itself and the ship is not really set up for this type program of treatment. I wish anyone that has this burden the very best at defeating this terrible beast. I have in the past known and worked with those that have had this problem.
Jim

Old October 5th, 2003, 09:11 PM
anita kennedy

I have read a litle about thing and I could be wrong but at some point you get your meds yourself to take on a daily basis. If that is the case you can take them with you as if you were at home taking your meds. If not and you still have to go to a clinic etc. then you probably are out of luck for the cruise.
Old October 6th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks too those of you that answered my serious question.
My friend had a very hard life and never had the oppertunity to ever travel. Last month I took him to Las Vegas (where he could pick his meds up there) and he had the time of his life.
He knows if I travel somewhere more than once
it must be worth it(40+ trips to Vegas,24 cruises) and wanted to try cruising but you have to be on the program for more than 2 years to be able to take a weeks worth of meds home.

Once again thank you to those who gave such a caring response.
Dave
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM
David Starkey

I am not sure a cruise is the ideal place for drug rehabilitation to take place. I know it makes me and my kids anxious to think the person I am dining with may be on this drug. I wish them nothing but success in rehab, but perhaps the confines of a cruiseship are not the best place for this situation.
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Admiral

i would talk to your friends program counselor to get some feedback on this issue and then i would call the cruise lines special services number, to see if arrangements can be made for the ships doctor or nurse to dispense his meds.
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:20 PM
First Mate

David, you're concerned that the person sitting next to you is in treatment? How do you know he/she isn't a convicted sex offender or other criminal? I would rather sit next to a person who is trying to improve their life, than some of the other alternatives.
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:36 PM
n2hairstylz

Readytogo,Im with you!
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:58 PM
n2hairstylz

Carol,People that have a drug problem, and people with a disease,are in the same catagory,they are to get treatment,no body should judge.
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Familiar Face

People on methadone exibit very little if any
signs of being "high".Just like people on heroin.When someone first takes either drug they act like someone who had a bit to many
drinks(like those that suck down the freebies
at the captins free party) then they mellow out and can function as "normal" as anyone else.
Many people that take methadone daily have regular steady jobs lead the same kind of life as those that dont.
I didn't know much about this whole thing
until my friend told me he was an addict and would likt stop using and I said I would help him any way I could.
Also many people trying to get clean can attend AA(friends of Bill W. meetings in your
cruise ship activites paper) because N.A. goes by the 12 steps.
So sitting at a dinner table you wouldn't know a methadone user from anyone else.
Happy Crusin Dave
P.S. I'm on the Pride 10/12/03 anyone else?
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:31 AM
David Starkey

Pardon me folks, but drug addiction is often brought on by a lack of self control not a disease. Granted in some situations this is not true, but in my law enforcement back round I must confess, the vast majority of people I saw were just over indulgent users that wanted to get high......not people that had serious medical problems that required powerfull medication that became dependent on the drugs. Perhaps we are looking at two different "types" of people. I do not attempt to judge either of these groups but only comment that I perfer not to see them at my dinner table on my vacation. If you want to invite them to your house for dinner....more power to you.
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:22 AM
anita kennedy

Davod: You need to educate yourself on the "dissease concept of addiction" Addiction is a disease. It is hard for non-users to understand I agree, but it has a disease concept in the psychiatric world, not in the physical sense. There is something wrong with the person who choses this as a way to handle their problems. Its really sad that some people who are addicts can't or won't get help and are not amenable to therapy. I do agree that this fellow should wait until he has been in the program 2 years and can get his own meds to try a cruise. There are very many temptations at ports, and onboard, (alcohol) to make his have a "slip." It is a good thing he has a friend who doesn't mind being with him, this may help him stay on his program.

I was hoping this thread would not turn out to be a condeming the addict thread but guess it will.
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Anita you are correct, addiction is a disease and even the insurance companies are slowly seeing this. You are also correct that this thread is turning into condeming the addict. There are too many threads like this lately. I don't know what is going on but it is frustrating and disturbing. I hope that I don't meet those folks on my cruise as I have better things to do. I would rather sit with the addict who is trying to gain control then those folks who don't have that problem but think they can condemn others.

Dave your friend is very lucky to have someone who cares.
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:57 AM
First Mate

We had a table mate who was not a recovering drug addict - he was a current alcoholic - he was always drug, stuttering, and even to the point of slobbering!. The next table had a loud mouthed foul woman. The neatly dressed and well mannered guy three tables over turned out to be a criminal and sexual harasser. I'd take the recovering Methadone person any day!!! (note: Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point - the calibre of person is what is important, not their medical history). People who don't want to chance sitting next to a recovering drug addict, should ask to be seated at a table for one!
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:06 AM
salem5050

Nice dog...congrats to you!
I too helped a methadone person, I drove them everyday for their meds, except for weekends when they could get take homes. I would think that a arrangement could be made with the ships doctor perhaps to despense the meds, I would call the cruise lines.
Some of the stupid negetive comments people made, just to me show a ignorance of the disease, but they are intitled to their opinion.
Since I have cruised recently believe me, I saw plenty of people that I would classify as alchol abusers, but hey thats their problem. This person who takes methadone is trying to get straight and they are in my prayers. Nicedog please give my regards to that person, and do not give up on the cruise for them.

Mary Margaret
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM
n2hairstylz

The disease picks you,You dont pick it, thanks for seeing my point.
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Admiral

O.K..............I haven't been elevated to angel status yet so here's my one cent.

Disease or not, no person began their drug abuse as an addict. After addiction occured then you may (or may not) consider it a disease. But calling it a disease infers, in my opinion, the addict has no culpability. I don't agree.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Careful folks, Lets remember the rules about getting personal attacks going. You have the right to agree or disagree but you do not have the right to make personal attacks in the message boards.
So happens I also spent much of my life in law enforcement and while I understand that the addict made a very poor, (okay, very stupid), choice addiction is very rare after 'once' and unbelievably foolish to try now that they are understood so well. Once a person becomes addictive, yes they need to be treated because they usually cannot control themselves but you do not have to pity them or think of them as the poor unfortunate. They may be now but they did make that choice years back. Someone being an addict is not in itself going to change the way I feel about them or treat them.
Jim

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:35 AM
anita kennedy

Addiction of any kind, whether it is choseing not to eat, cutting yourself, or using drugs, is a MANIFESTATION of a bigger problem. It is the way a person choses to handle their stress or pain, something they can't deal with. It takes years of psychotherapy for someone to come to terms with their problems. It is also a sad life for those who love that person, because it is hard to understand how cutting on your arm would relieve stress. Because you care for them does not make you an angel, just someone who maybe has been there and knows the hard road ahead for that person, whatever their addiction is. I don't think I have attacked anyone for their beliefs on this subject but I do feel it is important that we understand the best we can what this addiction thing is all about. The original post just asked a question, it was answered the best we could and that should just be the end of it. Some people got their feelings hurt, maybe because they have been there either themselves or with someone. I can understand their pain. I really think that is all they were trying to say was understand.

Have a good day
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Methadon program at sea

The posting about keeping it away from personal attacks was not directed at you Anita. Your post is still tehre. <G> I have deleted one post already and others seem to be getting close and we wish to prevent any personal attacks. Also, I am very much aware of addicts and their problems as it was a specialty I was appointed to while in the US Navy appointed by the White House Staff and I had extensive training in it. That training and understanding was increased evn more through training in law enforcement and yes I have had friends and even family afflicted by this problem. Just remember that the person suffering from these problems are also the person that created the problem and cannot be held completely bl;ameless. They need to face that hard fact before they can recover. Those that have I salute and have accomplished a very difficult task.
Jim

Old October 8th, 2003, 12:13 PM
p.g.

There is not "two different types of people" in this world, everyone has some problems, could be addiction, could be attitudes, we are all just people and there are no second class humans, just those who like to think there are.
No one, as a child says , " hey I want to grow up and wreck my life and the lives of all my loved ones".
An old saying is: There but for the grace of God go I.
Anyone working on a problem is to be encouraged and supported, negative and judgemental comments aren't neccesary.
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:18 PM
anita kennedy

Jim: Thanks for the reply, what you said made me do some thinking and you are right we are responsible for our choices in life and only the person with the problem can fix themselves. I really hope the folks out there with problems in their families or friends know it is not their fault for the choices people make. Thanks again.
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:55 PM
First Mate

I know it is politically correct to label psychological problems as diseases in order to relieve the individual of responsibility, but I think that's wrong. Drug addiction is the result of a choice - one that the affected party made at some point in life, and one that others choose not to make. It's also not universally agreed that trading dependence on one addictive substance for another like methadon is the best therapy for such cases.

Having said that, I have no problem sharing a table with someone in the process of recovering from an addiction. That would be a private matter and not my business as long as it didn't involve antisocial public behavior. Your friend is fortunate to have someone supportive like you, nicedog. I wish him success in overcoming his behavioral disorder.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:56 PM
salem5050

Ok lets get back to the first question. Do cruise lines accomodate people who are on methodone? Does anyone really know the answer to this?

Also there are meetings of Friends of Bill W on every ship is that a contridiction in the ships serving booze??

Mary Margaret
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM
TxRick

Hey nicedog.......you can share my table anytime. I commend your friend on getting straight and wish him the best of luck! Hope he gets to travel w/ you!