Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sport Jacket on Formal Night - HAL?

We've never sailed on HAL before. We're booked on Maasdam, Canada/New England in May 2006. We've been on other ships and have noticed that "formal" nights are not as formal as they once were. But I get the impression that HAL is a more traditional cruise line. DH has a tux, but hates to wear it. He doesn't own a suit and doesn't want one. He's much more comfortable in nice sport jacket, slacks and tie. I have some things that will go with either the tux or sport jacket depending on the accessories I choose, so it doesn't matter for me. I'd like to hear from some of you who've sailed HAL recently. Did all the men wear tux and/or dark suits on formal nights or were there a few sport jackets here and there? Basically, how out of place am I going to feel if DH insists on leaving the tux at home?
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM
venice

Default Re: Sport Jacket on Formal Night - HAL?

I sailed on the Zuiderdam last October. I have a tux because if you live in New Orleans you have to own one because of all the Mardi Gras Balls and Fund Raisers (at least that's how I justified it to myself (VBG). I would say it's about evenly split..about 1/3 had tuxes, 1/3 had dark suits and 1/3 had sports jackets with nice slacks and ties. My sense is that the wife or girl friend really drives what the men wear because I cannot recall one woman on board at the captain's party that didn't look just absolutely stunning regardless of what their husband or boyfriends were wearing..so the long and short of it...men don't worry about what other men wear and women look at what other women are wearing, not how the men are dressed. Plus my GF loves to dress up so I had to look good to compliment her

you won't feel out of place at all if husband leaves tux at home or does not bring a dark suit..Just make sure he has a really cool tie and shoes and socks they go with whatever he's wearing (yes I do remember one man who wore white socks with brown shoes and a plaid sports jacket that reminded me of the 60's bleeding madras style-and his wife or girlfriend was no where in sight)

have a great cruise and make sure your husband takes you to the pinnacle on the first night (it's 1/2 price) and it starts your cruise out on a perfect note
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Sport Jacket on Formal Night - HAL?

as long as the sports jacket is not a casual cut or made out of a casual fabric (like linen) then a nice sports jacket, dress pants,(not Docker's type pants) dress shirt/tie, with dress shoes will be just fine. You are right that HAL is more of a traditional cruise line and you see more men in tuxes and dark suits, but you will be just fine.
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Sport Jacket on Formal Night - HAL?

Thanks, Venice. I sort of thought that might be the case with it split between tuxes, suits and sport jackets, because that's been our experience on other cruise lines, but wanted to be sure. The guy with the white socks, brown shoes and plaid sports jacket would be my DH if I weren't with him. The poor guy is totally color blind and has no sense of style whatsover. Before we got married, 29 years ago, he used to buy his clothes right off the manachins because that's the only way he knew he'd be color coordinated. He secretly wishes they'd make "Geranimals" for adults . I look at this way, it's our vacation, and since he's more comfortable in his sport jacket, we can leave the tux at home. As for his shirt, tie, etc...well, I've been in charge of that area for many years now, so he'll be fine. Thanks again.