Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Default DISAPPOINTED

I'm disappointed not even one reply to my question. I know lots of people have read my post. Maybe it's just that no one knows about the MSC cruises?
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sorry... I've yet to cruise MSC.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Sorry no experience with MSC.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Admiral

I have been on MSC Lirica but it was a cruise in the Caribbean. And will be doing another Lirica cruise next year.

On our cruise while there were a number of Americans and Canadians the majority of passengers were European.

On the formal night almost everyone did dress accordingly. On the other nights it was dress all over the place. I never saw anyone being told they could not come in the dining room ( one man even came in one night in shorts and what looked to me a white under shirt - not even a tank top in appearance) But how others dressed did not detere (sp) from the cruise.

The crew were all very nice.

I know this is not the ship or cruise you will be one but maybe this will be a bit of help for you.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Admiral

The only MSC I'm familar with is the Military Sealift Command, sorry.
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: DISAPPOINTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino
I'm disappointed not even one reply to my question. I know lots of people have read my post. Maybe it's just that no one knows about the MSC cruises?
First of all, weclome to cruisemates!
Why would that disappoint you? it's just a cruise chat website, not an umbilical cord to life!
I hate to imagine how you would handle a real disappointment onboard an MSC cruiseship!

just my humble opinion

Captain
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Admiral

I tried to book an MSC Cruise, I posted my experience on the MSC board. The ships look really nice. But the company is majorly disorganized. If that doesn't bother you, MSC might work for you. The prices are good. If it were a short carribean cruise I might take a chance on them at another time, but I was not comfortable planning a Transatlantic with them, it is too big of an investment of time and money to risk with MSC.
If you do decide to cruise with them and you have any problems, let me know and I will share the contact info of the people I dealt with to try to resolve issues. The issues didn't really get resolved, but I have lots of contact info lol.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Hi Beenie,
I have not been on much this week. I had Jury Duty which turned out to be a 1-day thing on Monday.

Captain
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Admiral

beenie, I was gonna suggest the OP read your thread but I can't find it.

Hey Cap'n
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
beenie, I was gonna suggest the OP read your thread but I can't find it.

Hey Cap'n

Hi Dan,
How are you, buddy? Long time no chat

Captain
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Beginner

actually, i'm very open minded and i think if there any disappointments on MSC i would accept it well. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the places of call, rome, spain, malta, monte carlo, and tunisia. we are spending two days in rome before we board the ship. I just thought if anyone had any info they could share with me it would be great. Sorry you couldn't help Captain.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Admiral

wino, sorry if I maybe conveyed the wrong message or impression, me and my sick sense of humor. Honestly, I wasn't trying to be a smartass!

Those are all wonderful Meditteranean ports-of-call and we've been to all of those places, one of them actually holds a very special place in our heart as we visit there often and I do mean often.
As regards MSC, I still have to cruise that line yet. I have heard good/bad things about the cruiseline. I usually keep an open mind about the bad reviews because what experience has shown me is that most of them are reviews where this cruiseline or that cruiseline does not meet our expectations of what should be acceptable to us Americans. Food is always a prime example of that. Suffice it to say, if MSC is anything like Costa, I would cruise with them in a heartbeat.

Again, I apologize if maybe my message did not come across the way I had intended it.

Captain
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Wino, like you I really wanted to explore these areas. I found there was a lot more that I wanted to do in Italy than could be fit into a port day or two. So after I became frustrated with MSC, I booked a different Transatlantic cruise on NCL. I did make a few sacrifices though, I went from the 18 day itin, to a 12 day. Of course the price dropped some, because of that. The NCL cruise departs from Barcelona Spain instead of Genoa, so we're most likely going to fly into Rome, spend a couple of days there exploring, then taking the train to Pisa, spending a week in a Villa we've rented along with a rental car, spend the week touring Northern Italy and South France. Then we'll take the train from Pisa to Barcelona and spend a day precruise exploring that city. That way I am really getting what I want out of this trip. Instead of spending my vacation dealing with customer service issues.

Old February 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Beginner

sounds very nice. I chose MSC as I really want to visit Malta. My parents lived in Malta whilst my dad was in the Navy, so i really want to see what they have talked about many times.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino
sounds very nice. I chose MSC as I really want to visit Malta. My parents lived in Malta whilst my dad was in the Navy, so i really want to see what they have talked about many times.
Wino,
it is not just MSC that visits Malta. Royal Caribbean, Costa, NCL, Carnival, you have plenty of options..........all the major lines plus a few European cruiselines visit the beautiful Meditteranan Isle. The island upgraded the cruiseship terminal facilities about 3 years ago and it is fast becoming a very popular port of call, sometimes they have as many as 7 cruiseships visiting at a time.
Was your dad in the US 6th Fleet? I ask that cuz I seem to remember the US 6th Fleet being based in Malta until the early 70s.

Captain
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Beginner

thanks for the info captain. Actually my dad was in the british navy, and it was in the 1950's. Makes me feel old.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

We are sorry we missed your question, glad you finally got an answer, though.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Then we'll take the train from Pisa to Barcelona and spend a day precruise exploring that city.
By accident I had an entire day in Barcelona before a cruise. When the arrangements were settled, I thought it was a mistake. Well it was. Barcelona is a hidden gem. I wish I had given it much more than a day. If you haven't seen Barcelona, I'd recommend giving it two or three days. It's a big city with lots to see.

PS - I was there in June.
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Thanks Steven, I'll sure see how much more we can pack into this trip lol! I appreciate the heads up. I keep adding days on to this and it just keeps growing and taking on a life of it's own. But I would love to see as much as possible while we are there.