Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Default May I bring my bike?

Hello.

I've been doing some digging around and have had no luck. So I figured I would ask ALL you fine people!

I am an avid mountain biker. I usually travel with my own bike on airlines. I just love biking around new places with my own bike. I cover much more ground, see much much more!

Does anyone know if the Cruise lines, or which cruise line, will allow me to take my own bike on board? Of course I will pack my bike in specialized bike case and check it in as though it was luggage.

I would then put it together in my stateroom and roll it out on my shore excursions!

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

as long as you have it packed in a luggage case I see no problem with this. When I worked on Holland America ships I owned a bicycle and I carried it right off the gangway all the time. I was not the only one.

This was before they had x-ray security, etc, but they deal with wheel chairs and motorized scooters all the time, so I really do not foresee a problem.

I think it is a great idea.

By the way - if you love biking many smaller, expeditionary cruise lines have biking tours in several cities, and some ships even carry bikes on the ships (especially river boats). In Europe a bicycle can be one of the best ways to see a port stop, especially if it is not a major city.

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Admiral

My husband did this once. No special bike case, as we did not have to fly, we drove to the port. This was pre-9/11, so I don't know if things have changed. It was on Carnival. He only did it once, however, because of the amount of space it took up in the cabin. From then on, he rented bikes in ports.
Marty
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: May I bring my bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket929
Does anyone know if the Cruise lines, or which cruise line, will allow me to take my own bike on board?
I don't believe it is permitted on Carnival. Their web site says:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

"Safety Concerns: Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board nor are permitted on board:
Bicycles
Surfboards
Scooters (unless medically necessary)
Boats/Canoes
Scuba Tanks (empty or full)"

There is a whole list of stuff there, I just quoted the bike section. The interesting one was : Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home. I don't know if I want to eat a fish I mailed home a few weeks ago.....
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Solo:

Thanks for looking up that information. It would be sad to get to the pier with the bike and not have it allowed onboard. It would almost ruin the cruise trying to find somewhere to store it onshore while you went on the cruise.

In regard to shipping fish: It isn't as bad as you think. It is packed in dry ice and shipped express. I've shipped fish from Mexico and Hawaii and it arrived in Minnesota perfectly fine.

It's the same way inland restaurants receive their fresh fish.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Thanks for looking up that information.
You're welcome, but truth is I had JUST looked it up last night for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
It's the same way inland restaurants receive their fresh fish.
Exactly, lol. I'm accustomed to catch, clean, cook and eat my own, not too easy inland, so I guess it's second best.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have you thought about taking rollerblades? Have seen them used in port and they certainly would take up less cabin space.