Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs down Celebrity or HAL to Hawaii?

Has anyone else had this problem before?

When I went to the Celebrity and HAL websites, I discovered one has a better ship and the other has a better itinerary. Circle Hawaii cruises have 10 sea days - really nine but many people stay on the ship in Ensanada - regardless of the ship and route. So I hate to board a ship that is lacking in activities, entertainment, and foods I like just to have a good itinerary, but HAL has better Hawaii itineraries than Celebrity.

What am I supposed to do about this?

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Cruiser View Post
Has anyone else had this problem before?

When I went to the Celebrity and HAL websites, I discovered one has a better ship and the other has a better itinerary. Circle Hawaii cruises have 10 sea days - really nine but many people stay on the ship in Ensanada - regardless of the ship and route. So I hate to board a ship that is lacking in activities, entertainment, and foods I like just to have a good itinerary, but HAL has better Hawaii itineraries than Celebrity.

What am I supposed to do about this?
I'm a bit confused by your post. Which cruise line has a better ship? Also Princess does a 14 out of San Pedro have you looked at that one? Does Either Celebrity or HAL cruises include cruising mount kilauea, not all cruises include that. Kilauea is an active volcano I heard it's beautiful when the cruise ships cruise by it at night. Anyway I hope that helped you. I took a Celebrity cruise to Alaska and I found it lacking in day time activities. Also the food on this cruise was horrible. A lot of people love the food on Celebrity cruises so it is possible that my cruise was just unlucky. But the prime rib was tough!! How the heck do you mess up Prime Rib?? Filet Mignon sure it's a very lean cut. By Prime Rib is nice an juicy and difficult to screw up.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Captain

Have you considered flying to Hawaii and then doing the Pride of America? It does a week but 7 Hawaii ports in 7 days. Most Hawaii sailing only stay 4 days and then head back. Haven't done it but it's what I would likely do when I decide to go.

*Note I've heard the staff on this ship is primarily American so service is not quite as high as other ships but since they do it 365 days a year I'd expect things to go smoother than a ship that goes there once a year.
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Katlady, everything I read and heard is about Celebrity being a better cruise line. I liked HAL's itinerary better because it has only one tender port and the Hilo hours are 8-5. A midnight sail around the volcano is included on Celebrity's itinerary but HAL sometimes stays overnight in Honolulu, which I would love.

Aerospace, I have to sail out of San Diego because Los Angeles County is unwalkable. If you don't have a driver's liscense, you are not going anywhere in LA. I love San Diego and want to go back there, partly because it seems to be built for cruisers. I don't need a driver's liscense I will never get to do a lot in San Diego before and after the cruise. Of course I also want to take a cruise with more sea days than port days if I am on a ship that is immune to boredom.

Old March 26th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Street, which ship were you on? I saw both the Oosterdam and the Zaandam are on its Circle Hawaii routes.

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:33 PM
First Mate

I did the HAL 14-day out of San Diego on the Zandaam and loved every bit of it, but that was four years ago and I know some things have changed. HAL usually provides quite a list of activities on sea days. We did the night passage of the volcano and it was fantastic, though I am always amazed at how many idiots think they can take a flash photo of the lava! There was also a shore excursion that went to the top of the volcano and included a walk through an old lava tunnel, which was equally interesting.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
I did the HAL 14-day out of San Diego on the Zandaam and loved every bit of it, but that was four years ago and I know some things have changed. HAL usually provides quite a list of activities on sea days. We did the night passage of the volcano and it was fantastic, though I am always amazed at how many idiots think they can take a flash photo of the lava! There was also a shore excursion that went to the top of the volcano and included a walk through an old lava tunnel, which was equally interesting.
What makes you think they can't take photos of the lava? I saw pictures of it online, so it obfviously is possible to take good ones at midnight. The key is setting your camera. There is a way to make it work in the dark and take beautiful night shots.

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
You can take photos of the lava at night, but Sistersolo said "FLASH" photo!!! A bit of a difference!!!
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If I had nothing but time I wouldn't mind a 14-day RT voyage to Hawaii to see the islands, but I personally think Pride of America is a very good ship and itinerary.

They understand you are not there for the cruise experience so much as you are there to see hawaii, and so they are in port every day, and last time I checked the are overnight in every port (except Oahu, but you can arrive early to see it).

They give you the full Hawaii experience.

I have heard airfare to Hawaii is up lately, and that is too bad. The normally relatively cheap air is one thing that makes Hawaii such a fun place to go.

If I had to choose between HAL and Celebrity, I think I would prefer one of the newer HAL ships with a movie theater, the MicroSoft classes, the culinary classes, the Exploration Cafe, etc. They are small but active ships.

I also like Celebrity - but find the smaller ships to be a little too quiet for me.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul, what are you calling relatively cheap? A round trip flight to Honolulu is expensive. I could book a balcony cabin on Carninval for the price of a Honolulu plane ticket.

If the cost of flying to Honolulu and back was not higher than a flight to San Diego, that would be a good idea. But where cruises are cheaper than flights, sailing to the islands makes a lot more sense than flying there.