Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Green Card expired passport Bahamas cruise on Royal Carribean

Hello..I am US citizen and my wife is a permanent legal resident and has a valid green card with expiration. We are planning to take 3 days bahamas cruise from Miami and will return back to Miami. Her passport from her home country is expired.

Will she be able to go on the cruise with valid green card and US driver license. Should she take other documents too? should she take the expired passport in case immigration give us a hassle? This is our first cruise.

PS: I spoke to Carnival, Royal Carribean, and Norweigien cruises and all said greencard and valid us driver license will be enough. I am reading alot of forums and getting mixed answers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Since you are returning to the same port, the driver's license and the green card should be OK.

I suggest that your wife get naturalized as soon as possible.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Admiral

First, this is why you want to book with an agent - they have access to contacts you don't have. I would never trust anything the people say when you call into the cruise line. The number you call goes into a call center and those people are only there to sell you cruises. If you're not booking with an agent, then if I were you, I would talk to someone in the guest relations department and not in the reservation department. Or better yet, since these things change all the time, I would contact Homeland Security (DHS) and ask them since they are the ones who make the rules.

According to the current rules, any identification used for a cruise cannot expire within 6 months after you return back into the U.S. But whether she needs her passport or just her green card along with a driver's license, I would have to research this as I'm not sure on the current policies. But either way, I would definitely get her passport renewed immediately. As I always tell foreigners when traveling like this, take everything that you need to come into the U.S., including your passport, green card, and any other identification as you never know what you'll need, so it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you guys for your help! Royal Carribean has another agency CDIT for visa/passport services they are def a scam as they are telling me she will need a visa to travel.

Can you please recommend any travel agent who has dealt with similar situation as I am.

Also, on Bahamas government web site it says Green Card holders are required to carry their national passport. We don't mind staying in the cruise and not getting off at Nassau. Will they let us board from Miami on just looking at her green card and driver license.
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

When is your cruise, do you have time to get the correct documents?? What is Royal Caribbean saying about the needed papers?? I would certainly try to get the national passport as soon as you can and travel safe....

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi, I am in the same situation as your wife, I am leaving to the Bahamas cruise from Orlando fl next week and my passport has expired and it's too late to get a new one. Was your wife able to travel with just her green card and I'd?
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:38 AM
Welcome Newcomer

A passport is required as the only internationally recognized form of ID. Why is anyone planning international travel without ID? Seems strange that the question would even come up. A green card means nothing to other countries, is simply an id used for residing in the country that issued it, or re-entering the country that issued it.
Get a passport then plan travel. If you were injured or became ill, and needed to seek medical attention in a foreign country, not having legal id will cause real problems.
Passports are easy and fast to get and are required.
In the case of a foreign national's passport expiring, they simply can't travel so why let it expire? I am an American living in another country, and visited 86 countries and no where, except pre 2009 agreements between Canada. US and Mexico, could anyone cross international borders without a passport. As I mentioned, it is the only id you have in other countries.
In fact, a word to the wise, level every other form of ID home, there is little or nothing in your wallet or purse, other than a passport that can be useful in a foreign country, but is a real hassle to replace if lost or stolen. If there is only downside risk, and no upside benefit why risk charging drivers licenses, SS cards, membership cards, treasured photos etc. When walking around, there is no need for the pickpocket target, the rear pocket wallet, either. Your passport, a credit card and some local currency, contact information for your ship's port agent....and that is all that you need except some personal grooming items if desired.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:13 PM
First Mate

A current Green card should be all she needs to cruise to the Bahamas.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ent%20Resident

Required Travel Documents for Cruise Passengers - Royal Caribbean International that is all RCCL needs to take you to the Bahamas. She does not need a passport for that.
Old October 12th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstar12 View Post
Hi, I am in the same situation as your wife, I am leaving to the Bahamas cruise from Orlando fl next week and my passport has expired and it's too late to get a new one. Was your wife able to travel with just her green card and I'd?
Hi, were you able to get on the cruise and back to the US with your green card and driver license? I am taking my parents on a Carnival Cruise in June 2014 to Mexico, Jamaica and Cayman Islands. They are permanent US residents with green cards but don't have their home country passports. The passports expired 10 years ago and they didn't renew it; and they won't renew it. They left the home country for a reason. We're you able to get on the ship and back?
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Admiral

I do suggest that if you have a green card you should get naturalized as soon as possible.

I did.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Please consult the State dept .gov web site. My gut feeling says she should be OK - but since she is NOT a US citizen what you have to double-check are the rules for the Bahamas. THEY may require special documentation.

In some countries it is NOT allowed to even board the ship without the proper documentation for the destination port even if you plan to stay onboard - I know that is true of Brazil.

Check the rules for the country where her passport was issued (you didn't tell us) - technically she is still a citizen of that country and you need to know what the Bahamas think of that/.

Old October 17th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl81 View Post
Hi, were you able to get on the cruise and back to the US with your green card and driver license? I am taking my parents on a Carnival Cruise in June 2014 to Mexico, Jamaica and Cayman Islands. They are permanent US residents with green cards but don't have their home country passports. The passports expired 10 years ago and they didn't renew it; and they won't renew it. They left the home country for a reason. We're you able to get on the ship and back?
Look up the rules for "closed loop cruises" you should be okay but you need to do your own research.