Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Australia/New Zealand
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Captain

Default Is Abalone readily available in Australia?

Today my dilema is I have a taste for abalone. I understand that Australia is now the big abalone center where you can get it at a reasonable price. I wonder if they have abalone on the cruise ships instead of lobster
Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have never seen it on any cruiseship, in fact this is the first time I've heard of it??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately abalone known as Paua in NZ is a very acquired taste.
It should be available in local markets and restaurantís but very much doubt it would be on the menu on the ships.

Personally I hate the stuff. Icccck.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old March 19th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Captain

Default What is price in local market. I heard $50 a pound is standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
Unfortunately abalone known as Paua in NZ is a very acquired taste.
It should be available in local markets and restaurantís but very much doubt it would be on the menu on the ships.

Personally I hate the stuff. Icccck.
I was wondering what was the price of the abalone? Preparation of abalone does make a difference.
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Captain

In most countries where Abalone is available, it is in short supply. Most laws restrict it to sport fishing/diving.

In any case, Abalone is a sea snail. That makes it a shellfish item.
US Public Health service will not allow any major cruise line with ships in US Waters to serve any fresh shellfish on any of their ships, anywhere in the world.
So if abalone were available in quantities large enough to be served on a cruise ship, they would have to be frozen. Frozen Abalone is not very good quality.

Don't know where you live, but fresh Abalone can be found in nearly any Chinatown in nearly any country.
San Francisco is a good place to find it.
Abalone is also farmed at Pigeon Point California, just south of San Francisco. They sell it fresh in shops and restaurants in San Francisco.
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I have never seen it on any cruiseship, in fact this is the first time I've heard of it??
Donna, abalone is considered to be a delicacy. That many people love.
If you ever have the opportunity I suggest you try it, but make sure the person who prepares it knows what they are doing. In other words go to a first class restaurant. I saw the write up on Chilean abalone which i thought was interesting and thought you might want to read.
"From the cool, fresh waters off the coast of southern Chile come these delicious 'Locos', also known as Chilean Abalone. They share the rich flavor and signature texture of their northern cousin, the Pacific Abalone.

The pure southern Pacific ocean ensures a fresh clean flavor to these shellfish. They have a full flavor and a firm bite that make them perfect chopped in an onion and tomato salad, or sauteed and added to pasta or a cream sauce."

Or simply heat them slowly in warm water, then serve them with melted butter for an unusual delicacy sure to please all who try it.
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
In most countries where Abalone is available, it is in short supply. Most laws restrict it to sport fishing/diving.

In any case, Abalone is a sea snail. That makes it a shellfish item.
US Public Health service will not allow any major cruise line with ships in US Waters to serve any fresh shellfish on any of their ships, anywhere in the world.
So if abalone were available in quantities large enough to be served on a cruise ship, they would have to be frozen. Frozen Abalone is not very good quality.

Don't know where you live, but fresh Abalone can be found in nearly any Chinatown in nearly any country.
San Francisco is a good place to find it.
Abalone is also farmed at Pigeon Point California, just south of San Francisco. They sell it fresh in shops and restaurants in San Francisco.

Thank you for the San Francisco information. I will probably end up getting my abalone in New York Chinatown, but I will keep your information about San Francisco in mind in case I get there.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Thank you for the San Francisco information. I will probably end up getting my abalone in New York Chinatown, but I will keep your information about San Francisco in mind in case I get there.
And in case you do get downunder, you will find Abalone in high end Cinese restaurants in Sydney's China Town - usually alive in aquariums. Probably also in Melbourne but not on cruise ships. Live seafood delicacies in Chinese restaurants are very expensive - in the "if you need to ask the market price. you can't afford it" range. You can buy fresh and frozen abalone in the Sydney Fish markets - not always available but worth seeking out if you know how to prepare and cook it and have access to fire, some Asian condiments and a skillet.