Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Australia/New Zealand
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default French Polynesia Cruise out of Sydney

We have booked what looks like our dream cruise. Next April we're cruising from Sydney to Honolulu. I'm curious if anyone has taken this cruise, or a similar one, and can give me an idea of what to expect when we arrive in Sydney. We've never sailed from anywhere but the US. How long to get through customs? Shuttle or taxi to a hotel - are they easy to come by? And please, some suggestions for hotels in Sydney. Or any other hints for the couple of days we'll be there prior to sailing. Any help is very much appreciated.

thanks...Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We are Sydney based and have done a round trip cruise from Sydney through the closer Pacific Islands of Melanesia to French Polynesia and back to Sydney.

Getting through Customs is not a major delay UNLESS you decide to ignore the warnings about not bringing in any food or plant products - including those lovely apples you may be given on board the plane. The sniffer beagles will suss you out, you will be pulled up and may be fined. Taxis are readily available at a rank that is usually managed by a supervisor. About $50 - $60 AUD for a taxi to the CBD. There are shuttles - easy to find - the signage in the airport is quite good even for the jetlagged. Hard to advise on a hotel without knowing your price preference and whether you are prepared to pay for location. I would go for the Holiday Inn in the Rocks area for mid range, the Rocks Youth Hostel for cheap and really good - twin rooms with all facilities not all dorms - and my favourite the Park Hyatt if you are really splurging or have the right credit points. There are lots more - but for location aim for the Rocks or CBD area.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

hi Suzanne,
I realise this is a late reply to your post but I thought I'd still send it. We live in ydney and if your cruise is on Radiance of the Seas, we will also be on board. We are going right through to vancouver. Customs is no problem as long as you are honest. Yes taxis are about $50 to th CBD. Easier than waiting round for a shuttle esp being tired after a long flight. Hotels do, of course, vary in price. we love The Grace. It is close to transport, shops and a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay and The Rocks. Closer to the Quay is Amora Jamieson, a mid-price hotel. Neither of these have views of the harbour but some rooms at the Amora have harbour glimpses. The Four Seasons has lovely harbour views and had a good deal just recently. This is close to the train station and a very easy flat walk to the ship. The Sebel Pier is right under the arch of the Harbour Bridge, next to the water and a flat 5 minute walk to the ship. It is usually a bit pricey but yesterday we booked a room there for our son's wedding for $243.
Anne
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Anne... We're sailing on the Solstice. Thanks for the suggestions. After a 9 hour flight we're probably going to find a taxi. And we ended up booking the Holiday Inn, Potts Point (which I understand is in an interesting area). Nothing great but we'll be out and about during the day so just need somewhere to rest up. It's only about 10 weeks away now...I can't believe it's almost here. =) We're really looking forward to seeing a little bit of Sydney before sailing.

=Suzanne=
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

hi Suzanne,
Holiday Inn is a good hotel right in The Rocks area, our most historical part. Loys of places to eat and close to Circulat Quay where there is a train statiion, lots of buses and feries. A ferry ride to Manly is a great idea. When you get there walk straight ahead down the mall and you com to the ocean. Tha aquarium on the harbour side near the ferry is good as is the aquarium at Darling Harbour. Our Zoo ( Taronga Zoo) is wonderful and beautifully sited on the harbour. Take the ferry and the the cable car or bus to the top and walk down. Much easier than walking uphill. There is a hop-on-jop-off bus around the sity and eastern beaches. I would come and meet you but our daughter is having our first grandchild at end of March, our son is being married on April 5th and we will have overseas relatives with us and 2 weeks later we leave on April 19th for a 7 week holiday. If I can be of any more help let me know.
Anne
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Familiar Face

Anne - thanks for the good ideas. And congratulations on your first grandchild. How exciting for you. I appreciate the offer to meet with us but the timing just wasn't right. If you're ever in the Yosemite area look us up.

Suzanne
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM66 View Post
We are Sydney based and have done a round trip cruise from Sydney through the closer Pacific Islands of Melanesia to French Polynesia and back to Sydney.

Getting through Customs is not a major delay UNLESS you decide to ignore the warnings about not bringing in any food or plant products - including those lovely apples you may be given on board the plane. The sniffer beagles will suss you out, you will be pulled up and may be fined. Taxis are readily available at a rank that is usually managed by a supervisor. About $50 - $60 AUD for a taxi to the CBD. There are shuttles - easy to find - the signage in the airport is quite good even for the jetlagged. Hard to advise on a hotel without knowing your price preference and whether you are prepared to pay for location. I would go for the Holiday Inn in the Rocks area for mid range, the Rocks Youth Hostel for cheap and really good - twin rooms with all facilities not all dorms - and my favourite the Park Hyatt if you are really splurging or have the right credit points. There are lots more - but for location aim for the Rocks or CBD area.
I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. I'm not sure why I missed the post. Thanks for the ideas. We won't be carrying anything that should cause us problems at customs. I don't know much about clearing customs at airports and I didn't know if there would be lines to get through (we've heard horror stories). I'm pretty sure we'll be grabbing a taxi for the trip to the hotel. We'll want the quickest trip possible by the end of the day. Thanks for the answers...=Suzanne=