Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:02 PM
First Mate

Default off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

Planning on a day trip to Ocho Rios...what is off the beaten path for those that want the Island experience?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

not a good idea to do on your own. Book an island tour with Peat Taylor. He is great and will show you the local sights.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Want the island experience? Go off the beaten path in Jamaica and you will likely find yourself getting mugged or worse. 99% of the people of Jamaica are lovely, warm and friendly . The 1% others are waiting just on the fringes of the "beaten path" to seell you grass or steal your money.
Unfotrunately without a tour guide, Jamaica is not a good place to travel off of the proverbial path.
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Maleficent

what about margaritta ville in ocho rios? I heard its 3 min from the port and a fun place if you dont want to do any tours
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

Margaritta Ville is fine, certainly not off the beaten path.
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM
rosetattoo

Margaritaville is a good choice if you want to get off the ship for a few hours, it is an easy walk from the dock (you can see it from the ship), there are lots of nice shops to browse in also. Margaritaville has a large pool in the middle of the restaurant with a water slide from the second floor and a swim up bar. They have good food and drinks and you have access to their beach area also. It's a fun place to hang out and an easy walk back to the ship if you've had too many of their signature Maragaritas.
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:49 PM
K aka maleficent

thanks tatto
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:01 PM
James Szwankowski

For those of you considering a cruise, think twice before booking Carnival or using Cruises Only. I have traveled on Carnival serveral times and used Cruises Only many times only to be trown out with the trash when Carnival offered the Elation to house victims of the huricane.

We had a trip booked for the Sept 25 sail which has now been cancelled. Carnival did nothing more than offer a $100 cruise credit on a future cruise. The problem is Carnival nor Cruises Only has an interest in helping those of us who have had thier vacations cancelled. Carnival has other ships with space available, but rather than allow displaced customers move thier reservation to another ship with a similar itenerary, they require you rebook from scratch, and in our case at triple the fare. When I contacted my travel agent, Cruises Only, the rep also has no interest in helping us find a new trip. His response was find a trip you want and call us back. When I asked for his supervisor he hung up on me. I called back, spoke to a supervisor named Star. She assured me she would follow up on the service of the male rep that had hung up on me, however, no follow up.

We spent nine hours on web sites and phone trying to find another trip, fortunatly I found *edited for commercial content*. She was simpathetic to the situation and found a great rate on a Princess trip otherwise I would be spending this vacation at home. Thank you Quinn!

If you want service, think about any cruise line but Carnival and think twice before booking with Cruises Only.
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:00 AM
K aka maleficent

James, I would be upset too...but what does that have anything to do with ocho rios? I think I know what your up to. I sail with carnival next week and I am so scared it will be canceld. I would go with Celebrity for my next cruise...I love the boat layout/menu!
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

James, Why did you post this here?? How about Gripes or Carnival (or both)?
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Beginner

definately do not go off by yourself in Jamaca.

We signed up for a tour with Phil Lafayette and spent an tubing down a river which was fabulous. Would recommend it. Not many people around. About 10 in our group with 2 guides.

There are independent tour guides that will give you a tour of Jamaca in a very small group.
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Admiral

a really nice excursion you might be interested in would be the bamboo rafting tour of the Martha Brea River, its a great tour,very interesting, relaxing, scenic. You sit on a nice padded seat on these long bamboo rafts with a river guide who poles the raft down the river. Book a ships tour to do this
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Beginner

Margaritaville sounds really great - do they have showers or changing areas so we can clean up before we leave the beach??
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Passenger

From what I have heard from both my brother & his wife - not a good idea to go off on your own in Jamaica. Ask cruisinvirgin - her & DH went there on all-inclusive for honeymoon & did most things thru the resort - they did a "cuban cigar expedition" & almost found themselves in some hot water in areas they didn't want to be in.
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Passenger

I agree that going with a tour guide is the best plan in Ocho Rios. We went with Carolyn Barrett and had an awesome time. She is so knowledgeable about the island and pointed out many interesting things we would have never found if not for her. We visited YS Falls and it was gorgeous, not crowded at all. She even took us shopping on the way back to the ship, as some of us wanted to purchase the famous Blue Mountain coffee.
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Passenger

I totally agree about not going off by yourself in Ocho Rios (which I do on any other island). I assume if you are asking this question, that you have not been there. So, if you have an opportunity to do something that is not available anywhere else in the world, like climb Dunn's River Falls, why would you want to miss it? We did a private tour with someone by the name of Belinda, and British woman whose name we got from the cruise critic message board. They took us to Ferngully, which was lovely, and to a pottery factory, which was extremely interesting, then on the Dunn's River. That was 2 years ago. About 10 year ago we were there as well, and I did not climb, but walked along the side will my husband climbed with our sons. I am 52, not in perfect shape, but had a great time doing this. The pottery faxctory was an interesting experience, not just to watch them at this hand made craft, but to see the apprentice program they have with high school students. I believe there is also some kind of plantation there to go to if you want, we did that on our first trip as well.
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Passenger

Well if you are looking for off the beaten path, the Jamaica Adventure Retreat would fit that bill : http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/J...ureRetreat.htm away from Ocho Rios, up in the mountains side, ATV's, A zipline, nature, local food made by locals. Its the real Jam!