Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Familiar Face

Default Dunn's River Falls

Flirting with the idea of doing the Dunn's River Falls tour in Ocho Rios in October. Wondering if anyone has done this and how difficult it actually is. I am a 45 year old female with no major health issues. During the past 1.5 years, I have lost 55 pounds. Currently weight about 165. My exercise regime consists of walking only...3.6 miles per day, five days a week. Any advice appreciated.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bermuda,
I don't think you would have any problem climbing them as long as you are wearing a water show or even old sneakers work well. The rocks can be slippery, so shoes are a must. The climb is done in a line with a guide and they go slow. There is also a stair way that go up the falls, so if for any reason, you want to stop, you can.

Just be to tip your guide at the end, they pretty much expect it. Also be aware of the vendors at the top of the falls, selling their wares, they don't like when you say, "no thank-you".

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Remember too,that you you are also helping the person behind you as you go up...the water shoes have the little bumpies on the sole,that grip better then a sneaker. Sounds like you would not have any issues....have fun!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 30th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Beginner

I went to these falls a couple of years ago and climbing them was one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had. We were all holding hands crocodile style so you cant steady yourself when you slip....I ended up getting out half way up because it was far too dangerous. If they let you climb at your own pace and not holding on the other people it would be much easier and safer
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Admiral

When we did it we just went on our own, we joined at the place half way up, you do need shoes will good soles.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Admiral

we have done it a few times, with no problems at all. We wear water sandals, the Teva type ones, they really grip, and they are great for beach, deck and any other type of water activity. you can go with a group or just follow the group, there are always people in your line who will help you if you need it
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Just thinking......when I sprang up the falls & found it no trouble at all it was 20 years ago!! doesn't time fly, I am 61 now & I bet it wouldn't be So easy now!!
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Default Dunn river falls

wasa more fun going over on the small boat for the tour RUM PUNCH for breakfast, could of used it for boat fuel. When we got to the top of the falls the smell of ganga wow!
boB