Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 1st time cruiser- can I sneak alcohol onboard???

First time cruise - Sailing 8/31 Paradise!

I've read over and over that you can sneak in alcohol onboard in your luggage (or some even say in your carry-on). Has anyone done this recently?? This is my honeymoon and I'm broke enough as it is - I'd love to be able to take a bottle of vodka and rum with us to save on drinking charges!

Also, I read on my ticket information that the people who take your luggage from you on the pier are not employees of carnival? Is this safe?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Gal

Default Re: 1st time cruiser- can I sneak alcohol onboard???

Hi, newcruiser. Now, I have never cruised (not until Jan) but this is what I get from all the research and reading I've done....

If you are celebrating a special occasion, which you are, then you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine but with a corckage fee--generally 10bucks- this is in your carryon.

Now in your packed luggage, everyone has talked about getting the alcohol on board with no problem. There have been those that it opned in the bags and ruined some things. Personally, I think the liquour mini's are the best way to go, plastic, small and easy to pack.

I don't know about rum but a suggestion on the vodka... either put it in a water bottle or a mouthwash bottle.

Have a great trip and congrats on your wedding!
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:39 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: 1st time cruiser- can I sneak alcohol onboard???

If you take wine of champagne you can carry it on. If it is for your room don't forget you cork screw. If it is for dinner there will be a $10 fee to open it.

About alcohol, I assume you know it is a no no. However, for risk of going out on a limb it has been done. Pack it in bubble wrap in your check in luggage. Pack it well. If it breaks you will have a mess. Also if you get caught they will take it from you until you return so be prepared to buy your drinks.

We only took wine and consumed it in our room or took it to dinner. We never took it to the pool or any other area. However it has been said on this board that some people bring collapsable ice chest and bring it to the pool. If you are brave try it. All they can do is take it from you, I don't think they will send you to your room or home.
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Rose & Mario

If you bring alcohol buy the plastic bottles and wrap in plastic bags. When we went on our cruise they say you are not allwed to bring alchol but when we went on the island tours we bought wine and rum dirt cheap. Around $6. US for rum and we brought it on the ship and had no problems. The wines on the ship are min. $21. US. Way too much.
Old August 26th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Shipbound

This is what I did to get alcohol on the ships. You bring with you on the plane a 1.75 L
of vodka in a plastic bottle that is unopened. When to get to you destination you wrap
the bottle with a towel in a suitcase that contains clothes that are not your best duds. When yout to the ship you tell the porter you to be careful with your suitcases and give him or her a good tip. Now I have never done this since 911 so getting the alcohol on the plane may be tough so go down the day before if you can afford it and buy the alcohol when you get there or call the airline and see what there policy on bring alcohol
on a plane.

Gary
Old August 26th, 2003, 11:48 AM
char Hempler

I don't ever take any drinks on the ship with me. But, I would tell you that the porters are not going to care if u have glass in them or not. they throw those bags into a big bin. and they are loaded on ship by a crane type thing. So dont think u telling them to be careful is going to matter. I am not going to preach to u about not taking drinks with u. To each your own....... But still tip the porters well. They are doing a good job for u either way. Happy cruising...... Char
Old August 26th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Passenger

hey there just returned from our 1st cruise, i did pack a bottle of Gran marier in a large water bottle, then in 2 zip locks then rolled it in a tower. Needless to say one piece of my lugadge got to my room late that had been badley damaged, (and yes that was the one with the bottle in it) butt it was fine. the suitcase on the other hand was not , they did there best to repair it but i didn't much care for it.. Have a great time> What cruise are you taking?
Old August 26th, 2003, 07:42 PM
First Mate

If you've seen a captain order a guest to walk the plank in shark infested waters, you wouldn't ask.

Old August 26th, 2003, 09:44 PM
RichT

wow! guess I'll just have to keep rubber ducky by my side to protect me at all times.
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:42 AM
S Babcock

Yes you can take alcohol, but I recommend the mini's or plastic bottles. For wine, the boxed wine travels well.
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:43 AM
S Babcock

The luggage is safe, just tip the guy when you get off the bus. We have done this three times............
Old August 27th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Starfighter

Hey, I know they don't make you walk the plank, but just out of curiosity, what happens if you get caught, other than the embarrassment in front of other guests? It is a violation of the rules, but how serious is it considered?
Old August 27th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Passenger

I brought on 3 gallons of rum, without a hitch!!!!!! E-mail me and I'll tell you how, this is a bad thing to discuss this publically, for sure people working for carnival are reading these!!!!! and try to solve the problem!
John
Old August 27th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Denise K

John,

AOL will not allow me to email you. Please email me.

Thanks,
Denise
Old August 28th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to TinaC

John, can you email me too!! Thanks, Tina
Old August 28th, 2003, 05:07 PM
meangreen

Default Re: Re: 1st time cruiser- can I sneak alcohol onboard???

Men's dress shoe will protect a half liter water bottle pretty well. Half a liter of vodka/half a liter of rum. You're all set!
Old August 29th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Mike McD

Dress shoe idea is sweet.
Old August 30th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Passenger

I put a small, unopened, flask-size plastic bottle of vodka (from the liquor store)in my carry-on and one in my checked luggage (in a small purse). Both got through without a hitch.