Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Hopeful Cruiser

Default Topless Deck - Carnival Sensation

Hello, Just a quick question about the topless deck. Are there alot of gawkers up there? Young and old? I read some older posts and it seemed to be really bad. They bring camaras up. Also that there was no service up there. No waiters come offering drinks etc.

Does anyone know first hand?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2003, 03:18 PM
rigs32

Default Re: Topless Deck - Carnival Sensation

I've only been on the Paradise topless deck, and yes, there were a lot of gawkers. Some as brazen as leaning against the railing and staring at the people lying there. He ain't watching the stack, so it must be some women that caught their attention.

I sunbathed there to get away from the kids on board, but never felt comfortable enough to shed my top. I would have, but not with the gawkers and cameras that kept making the rounds.

Waiters did come up to sell drinks, just not as often as down below.
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Beginner

I'm traveling with kids. I'm assuming they would stop them from going to topless deck????
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Topless Deck - Carnival Sensation

There is not a security guard there but there are signs that state adults only and no cameras allowed. I would hope that any adult that happens to be up there would let the kids know they are not supposed to be up there. As far as gawkers, you will probably note a few but either your male companion, or a hard glare usually causes them to depart. If that doesn't work then I would have no trouble with you embarssing them by inquiring if they really need to see a females breast that badly. For the most part, those that travel and cruise often could care less and kids seem to accept topless ladies as normal very quickly when they encounter them on a beach.
Jim

Old December 8th, 2003, 04:27 PM
jimej

We have been on three cruises with Carnival in the last year. We chose Carnival solely for the fact that they have topless decks. You meet great, fun people on the top deck and my wife enjoys topless tanning. On two of the three boats gawkers were a serious problem. Iím sorry to say that many women become quite uncomfortable, get dressed and leave when the gawker parade begins. Usually there are two groups of perverts. The first group is usually a couple of rude single guys that will scope out the deck, pull up a lounge next to the prettiest girl on the deck and start staring. The second group is the old married guys that seem to take a tour every half hour or so. Iíve been tempted, when I see them elsewhere with their wives, to invite there wives to join them on the top deck. A few jerks do attempt to sneak pictures. This usually does not work. Gawkers are well watched from the time they arrive until they leave. Most husbands and a few outspoken women will immediately confront anyone with a camera.
Conquest- Stairs leading to the top deck overlook the sports court. Gawkers hang around and pretend to watch basketball. Most women donít want to be part of the entertainment and leave quickly.
Elation- Two stairways to the top deck make for an easy entrance and escape. The parade of rude old farts was non-stop. Come on guys, bring your wives or stay away!
Triumph- Absolutely great! One well marked entrance. Usually 10-50 couples and a few groups of women. Gawkers would come to the top of the stairs and really have no place to go without being obvious. Bar service was prompt and very courteous. Everyone had a blast.
A few hints for cruisers. Donít let the few jackasses win! Usually staring a gawker straight in the eye will scare him away. Bring a book, it makes a good cover-up, they usually get bored and leave quickly. Sit with other couples, you will make new friends and thereís strength in numbers.
My advice to Carnival. Require all males on the top deck to be accompanied by a female. This will upset a few of the perverts but allow women and couples to enjoy an important and fun part of the cruise experience.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Darrick

I'm not a gawker but what the big deal, they're just breasts!
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Admiral

lol...this is always a funny subject. Gawkers on the topless deck!!!!???? Surely you are joking!

Old December 8th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Admiral

I don't know what the big deal is either. I think first of all that you must understand that it is not a " TOPLESS DECK ". It is a " TOPS OPTIONAL " deck. Optional means having to do with choice---in this case, deciding to drop the top or leave it on, whichever the lady decides. I know there are gawkers but there are gawkers at the pool, bars, on the streets and everywhere else you go. Not every man who ventures there is a gawker, just as every lady who takes off her top is not an exhibitionist.

On the Pride and her sister ships the funnels are red glass around the bottom area. This area also houses the speciality restaurants ( Davids on the Pride ) and from these restaurants the TOPS OPTIONAL area is easily seen. So, according to some I guess someone checking out the beauty of these restaurants and taking photos could be labeled a gawker.

The TOPS OPTIONAL ( again--meaning choice of wearing a top or not wearing a top ) area is a public deck on the ship, open to anyone except underage children.
If one is so sensitive or naive to think they can go to a TOPS OPTIONAL deck , take their top off and not have their mammary glands looked at, then they might want to keep the top on.
NO--- I'm not defending gawkers--just stating the facts. Remember--OPTIONAL-
means choice --wearing a top there or taking it off.

A little common sense and maturity goes a long way. Aaahhh--what the heck--maybe I'll disguise myself a lounge chair and try to sneak some photos!
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Passenger

I agree with most of what Ron said. Especially the part about not all men are gawkers. But I do disagree with anyone that believes a woman who is willing to take her top off in a public place and bear her breasts to the world is not an exhibitionist.

Here is what my dictionary says under the word Exhibitionist:

1: someone with a compulsive desire to expose their body unclothed [syn: flasher]
2: someone who deliberately behaves in such a way as to attract attention

I believe that if the women complaining out there are so sensitive and they don't want anyone to look at them naked, they should simply not take their clothes off. From what I have seen on a cruise ship (and I have yet to venture to the Tops Optional deck) I think most passengers look better with their clothes on, myself included.

And as for their husbands, boyfriends or SO's, why don't you pop for a cabin with a private balcony so your female companion can put on a show for the dolphins instead of getting all manly about having some other guy look at her?

My best advice .......... if you want to lay naked in the sun, do it at your house in the privacy of your backyard or at a nudist camp or nude beach, not in a public place where kids and old married men and gawkers might be. Like Ron said, a little common sense goes a long way.

Ron

Celebrity Cruiselines' "Summit" - Alaska : 14 Days
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Well said Ron! Hey ladies....!!!! news flash......news flash.....expose your breasts in a public place and guys (and some women) will look.

Old December 9th, 2003, 10:30 PM
mjmiller

Guys- there's a BIG difference between looking and gawking. American men gawk (ok - not all!). Men from elsewhere in the world don't. It's too bad Americans are such repressed prudes. I can say that because I'm a repressed American who won't bare her chest in public.
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Admiral

proud to be American...proud to be a gawker! HuuuuuuuRahhhhhhh.......(don't tell Deb lol)

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Admiral

AS the old song went ------- I didn't sleep at all last night---- just thinking about---well you know---topless ladies. I have figured out the perfect scheme to get to the TOPS OPTIONAL deck without being set upon as a gawker.

I will take a nice roll of $20's--bribe one of the deck hands for a spare uniform and constantly work on the TOPS OPTIONAL deck. MOP, look, sweep, look, wipe, look, look, look, look, look,sweep look, mop, look, etc. Boy oh boy. Can't wait. I'm into planning now. Where can hide my camera--
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Captain

Default Topless Deck - Carnival Sensation

Ron, I tried that, evidently I was not the first..........
I finally just took my drink up there, lay down, and promptly fell asleep.
I got a nasty sunburn, chewed out by the gal that brought me, and........
didn't see a darn thing I can't see at home anytime.
No more top decks for me........sometimes it is better to sit around the
lido deck pool and just use your imagination.

Joemo
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I believe the interest in topless women in regards to America and for the most part the Americas has to do with culture. Most of us were not raised with seeing naked female forms and is an extreme interest for our visual minds. In Europe everyone grew up with it and it was common place, (I myself Couldn't imagine being 12 or 13 and put into that realm) From My American perspective, It would be the greatest day of my life at that age. But I imagine if I grew up with it, It would be no different than someones nose or their teeth...etc. The interest is in the fact that we never grew up seeing breasts and it is a "new" thing for us. Plus the fact that it is considered Taboo to look at (i.e. Sexual) in the western Americas. If we could get away from viewing Breasts as a sexual delight, then we could maybe not gawk. But, for us males, would that be a good thing?
Old December 12th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Admiral

For these 47 year old eyes a breast is not a new thing. Sheeeeesh!

I don't know what the commotion is all about, topless women are not a novelty. You see them in print, on T.V., at the movies.

I've never been on the topless deck and on the occasion when I was on the other side of the ship and looked over at the topless deck I don't recall ever seeing more than two people (male or female, I couldn't tell) on it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Admiral

A lot has been said on the topless subject, mostly in humor and good taste.
I would like to seriously add the following:
First of all, yes I'm sure that most of us know that in other parts of the world and especially Europe topless sunbathing is much more prevalent than in the U.S. and therefore the ladies in those countries don't pay any attention to it, whereas in this country, it's not the norm. Therefore, when a lady here drops the top, she ( usually ) feels self conscious and probably feels that she is getting a lot of stares that she may not be getting. In short, they probably feel very uncomfortable in public with their breasts exposed. Thats understandable. However to expose the breasts in a public place and expect people not to look is not being very realistic.
If I walk down through the mall with a normal dark blue sport coat on I probably won't get a second look. If I walk down through the same mall with a yellow and white striped coat, I would probably get a lot of stares, simply because it's out of the norm. People will look at something thats out of the ordinary.

One last thing. Now ladies, please don't jump too fast. If ladies don't want people to notice their breasts, then why, oh why, do thousands of women every year spend thousands of dollars for implants to make them bigger---then wear low cut blouses to expose part of them?? Interesting !!