Old March 18th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Default Oh crap..freaking out

I am looking at the layout of the ship in a pamphlet and some of the rooms have this little symbol in them meaning 2 uppers. WHAT does that mean? We booked a guaranteed inside in Dec for our cruise this November, and I dont want bunk beds! Ive been reading about upgrades...how often does this happen? We booked 11 months in advance does that make a difference? And we are going in November, so not really peak season I dont think. Jeepers, can someone explain for me. Thanks

Fascination 11/04
Celebrating our 10th Anniversary
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Oh crap..freaking out

Amanda,
You are probably ralking about a "quad". 2 lower beds and 2 upper beds that pull out of the ceiling if needed. I think you can put the two lower beds together to make a queen, but I'm not sure about that. I'm sure someone on this board will know, though.
Allison

Disney Magic 03/03
Carnival Conquest 03/04
Enchantment of the Seas 08/04
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:18 PM
MichelleM

The only cabins that are only bunk beds are the 1A. The rest have 2 beds on the floor and the 2 uppers you are seeing is a quad room.
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Passenger

Amanda,
The two uppers fold up on the walls when not in use. If only two per cabin they either keep lowers apart or put them together to make full size bed. relax you spend very little time in the cabin anyways who wants to stay in there while on vacation the tv system is not that good anyway

Carnival Imagination
Carnival Sensation 2005
Carnival Legend 2004
Carnival Imagination 2003
Carnival Imagination 2002
Nordic Empress 2001
Carnival Pa
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Whew! I thought I was going to have a heart attack! Im sure my husband would find the bunk bed thing exciting ;o), but I wouldnt. I think I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Fascination 11/04
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Oh crap..freaking out

Most of the time the "uppers" are folded into the wall.
We found that they make great Souvenier catchers if left down.
JOEMO
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

If in any question still, just call Carnvial or you travel agent.

RCI Mariner 2005 St. Thomas St Marteen
NCL Star 2006 Seattle to Alaska
NCL Pride of Aloha 2007 Hawaii Island Hopping
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Yeoman

I've used one of those uppers to clear the floor space by putting luggage, beach towels, shoes, Capers, dirty clothes, junk, etc. on it. You can arrange to have your lower twin beds moved together to make a queen, and have it face one way, while using one of the upper bunks for "storage'"and have it on an adjacent wall and out of your way. If you booked an inside guarantee, though, you probably won't get one of those cabins with the : upper bunks. Those are usually reserved for 3 or 4 in a cabin. You actually won't find out which cabin you'll be in until you board. That's what happens when you book a guarantee. Cheaper, chance of an upgrade to a higher deck, but you'll have no idea where on the ship you'll be until you board. No window, either. First cruise? What ship? November - end of hurricane season. Weather can be very "iffy". Sun comes up late and goes down early - just like here. Chance of missing ports of call due to weather. And you can have a perfect cruise, too! Hope your TA explained all of this to you!
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Passenger

yes, this is our first cruise, so we havent got a clue as to what to expect. We are going on the Fascination and since our anniversary is in November thats why we are going then. I had no idea about the weather, and honestly as much as Id like to see the ports...Im looking forward to just spending time alone with my husband.

Fascination 11/04
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Amanda,

Don't worry about the weather - we'll send special "weather mantras" out for you and your dh!

Many people (including me) think that the days at sea are the best. I enjoyed the ports, but LOVED the day at sea. Sounds like you're going to have a great cruise - you're going with a good attitude.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Yeoman

If you go on a cruise with a good attitude, and want to spend some "alone" time with your husband, the weather won't matter! You'll love cruising! If it's your anniversary, make sure you let your TA know, so you can get a little "special" surprise during your formal night at dinner. I think Carnival also has a Honeymoon/Anniversary get-together one night. You can also request a table/booth for two for dinner each night. - just ask the Maitre'd when you board. Sounds very romantic, and you might get that upgrade, since you'll be cruising during a "low" season, and the ship may not be full. I got married in November, too - the 6th. (Unfortunately, it's right in the middle of hunting season ) Have a great time!!
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Oh crap..freaking out

Thank God he doesnt hunt! Our actual anniversary is the 5th, but we dont leave on or cruise until the 8th.

Thank you everyone for your input, I cant wait for our vacation!!! :o)

Fascination 11/04
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:15 PM
Yeoman

You're gonna have a GREAT time!
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Relax re: weather. My anniversary is also Nov (Thanksgiving eve) and half my 10 cruises have been taken between 11/15 and Dec 15. Weather, hours of daylight were all just fine. This is very late in hurricane season and we were never even affected by one.
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sea Turtle

FYI--

Not all the 1A cabins on CCL ships are 1 upper/1 lower. Ships newer than the Fantasy Class have different configurations for their 1A cabins and varies ship to ship (i.e., 1A on Victory is not the same as 1A on Spirit but none of them are 'bunkbeds'). And, even on Fantasy class they're not really 'bunkbed' configuration like some of the photos you may have seen.