Old March 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM
kkcruisers

Default What do you suggest?

Hi, we will be in the MR in April and are wondering what tours we should do. Has anyone just gone off on their own and if so what did you do and can you trust the local excursion groups if you don't book through the ship. I know last year in Cosumel my husband and I and another couple just took a taxi down the road to a little beach and snorkled on our own. Their was a bar there and chairs and they didn't care if you used them as long as you bought beer from them, which we did. We had a great time. I would like to do something like that in one of the ports, so I'm open for ideas. What have you done that was fun in the Mexican Rivierra?
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What do you suggest?

We have taken the Stone Island tour in Mazatlan and the Jungle tour in PV. They were both fun. On our own, the 2nd time we went on the MR cruise. We took a taxi from the La Jolla de Mismaloya hotel up to the 'Predator site' in the jungle. They have a bar up there and you can order drinks and food. We just had drinks and the river is there with a rope swing to jump off with. Lots of fun. Also that trip in Mazatlan we took a taxi to the 'golden zone' and headed towards the water. There is a place right on the beach to get drinks and food, Paco's. Then we took a catamaran ride over to Deer Island. You can see it from shore and they will leave you there for 2hrs. Just sat on the beach and swam in the ocean. (we payed the guy 1/2 to take us over and the other 1/2 when he came back for us)
Have a great cruise all!!
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:10 PM
First Mate

We went to the Predator sight with the ships excursion (Eden Jungle Paradise).... which ever way you go...you have to try their hand made white corn tortillas. I skipped my chicken and filled up on tortillas as they were the best I'd had!

We took the Sierra Madre Tour in Mazatlan and the Costal Highlight Tour in Cabo.
Our least favorite was Cabo...though it was informative and interesting.

One other note...the prices in Cabo are considerably higher. You might want to keep that in mind when shopping. The price of a chess set I wanted started so much higher I couldn't get them down to the beginning price they were in both VP and Mazatlan.
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Yeoman

Cabo San Lucas. Was more expensive before. Is more expensive now. Will be more expensive later.
Old March 28th, 2004, 12:32 PM
kkcruisers

Default Re: Re: What do you suggest?

Thanks for the info, would you suggest exchanging our money for theirs since we will be in 3 Mexican ports. We did that in Cancun when we stayed there for one week and we made out better in the long run. I think the value is about 10 to 1 now. I know most of the prices on things are usually maked by Pesso's so why not use them. Just wondering.
Old March 28th, 2004, 12:34 PM
kkcruisers

Default Re: Re: What do you suggest?

What did they charge for the catamaran and the taxi? Trying to compare it to ship prices. Thanks,