Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM
First Mate

Default Free Cruise???

Hi All, Just received a post card that if I listen to a 90-minute new property talk, I "win" a free Carnival 3 night cruise. I have 4 ports to chose from they leave from. Has anyone done this? Is it legit?? How many strings are attached. I am from the old school of thought--nothing is for nothing!

Thanks,
Natalie

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Free Cruise???

read ALL the FINE print... 3 Times.....
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:59 AM
mikef

Read the fine print is great advice. My wife & I did something like this once for a TV. We were not prepared for the hard sell that was presented. I had to walk away from the guy, without the TV, to avoid chocking him. Seems that his early vocabulary education did not include the basic understanding of NO.
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:01 AM
mikef

Chocking? I hate it when I do that.
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Admiral

lol hehehehehehehehe
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Admiral

I get these offers at least three or four times a month. Toss it in the trash where it belongs
Jim

Old April 13th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I used to get phone calls all the time about this. Sounds good doesn't it??
BEWARE! I've heard that while it may be possible, there are always catches to everything, what's more is that usually there are of course black out dates and other dates in which you can not go. Also you have only a certain amt. of time to take the trip--usually a year or less. You have to request in writing via their form etc. for the dates you want to go--then they counter offer other dates if those dates you requested aren't available--usually they aren't --then you have to keep playing the game and by the time it all works out you're over your year and it's no good any more. Also it doesn't usually include port fees, taxes etc. etc. and by the time it's all said and done you end up paying what you would normally--this is just what i've heard. i've always just said no-thankyou! or thorwn the stuff away.

Old April 13th, 2004, 12:57 PM
dcsevn

It can be legit, though not exactly easy. The cruise I'm going on next month is the result of one of these offers. It's a long story about how that happened - I'm not one who enjoys the hard sell and am pretty skeptical about what you actually get.

Here's what I can tell you, in a nutshell:
As mentioned in earlier posts, you'll have to withstand (or give in to) the hard sell you're volunteering to hear. Add to that: the "incentives" company that will be arranging the trip will set up an obstacle course of paperwork designed to make you voluntarily give up on it. If you don't give up, and keep playing the game (and perhaps write a diplomatically-worded letter or two), you'll get the trip.
It won't be free - taxes, "courier fees", etc. are involved - but it'll be cheaper.

DC
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Linda Tuttle

I've done it
You can pay for the trip yourself for about the same money as you'll end up spending on this free one!
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Free Cruise???

Thanks everyone!!!!

Old April 13th, 2004, 03:46 PM
venice

I agree with everyone else...DON'T DO IT...the "hidden" expenses (taxes, additional airfare, restrictions of when you can use it), let alone the "tough" sale (I did this once in Hawaii and I finally had to tell them I worked for the U.S. Attorney's Office's in New York City-which was a "little" white lie) and they gave me my voucher for the evening boat cruise within 2 minutes just to get rid of me)...you'll do better on your own..remember when it sounds to good to be true or someone says something is free IF.....that's a red flag for you to run,run,run