Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to neonturtle
Default Question for ladies, Regarding shoes

OK....I have a girly question... I always pack too many shoes. I have given up hope that I can solve this issue. SO! Has anyone found a good way to pack all of your shoes. I always find that my heals get squashed and us women pay to much for our shoes to be trreated like that. I always bring about 10 pairs of shoes for a 7 day cruise. I can not help it!!!!! About 5 of those are evening shoes. Any good ideas?

Thanks

Michele

Carnival Conquest
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Question for ladies, Regarding shoes

Don't bring so many shoes.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
Passenger

I know you won't like hearing part one of this, but you will like part 2.

Part 1...... Don't bring 10 pairs of shoes, that is insane. I also have a shoe fetish, but I am managing to take only 4 shoes. Plus the tennis shoes I will be wearing.

Part 2...... Instead go shopping for a new shoe, that will be appropriate for all your evening attire. This can be a challenge but it can be done. Ahhhhhhhh I smell the shoe department know. . Happy shoe shopping.

1 shoe evening attire
1 shoe formal nights
2 pairs flips flops or sandals
1 tennis shoe

Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Once again - 10 is too many.
I take
1 sandals
1 flip flops
1 tennis shoes
and if I am going to do formal night 1 heels.

I am a shoe horse - I buy the shoes, then the outfit to go with it, but 10 is way to many to take on a cruise. If there are only two formal nights - why 5 pairs of shoes - take one pair that goes with both outfits.

Jodi

Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

I really dont understand this facination with shoes!! (I am a woman) It cracks me up when my friends are always checkin out shoe stores. I am happy with my runners, uncomfortable in heels and sandles are awsome in the summer. That about covers shoes for me.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Question for ladies, Regarding shoes

!! That is funny. Ok lets see if I can narrow my shoe issue down..

I have workout tennis shoes-(I would not wear with anything else)
casual tennis shoes- for shorts and skirts
flip flops
casual shoes for skirts and jeans
I will go from four evening shoes to three

I guess my problem is not so much shoes, it is the fact that I have daytime outfits then dinner outfits.

I love showering after a day at the pool and excursion. Then changing into something clean and nice for an evening with my husband. That is 14 outfits. Anyway...I sound crazy huh..oh well! As long as I have fun thats all that matters. I wouldn't judge people who don't do what I do BUT I AM SPENDING A LOT of money for the cruise and we all have our own way of doing things.

Anyway, the main point to my question is does anybody have any interesting ways that they pack their shoes which they would like to share with me? Dont be a smarta$$ and say in the suit case. UH OH! I set myself up for that one. I can see it now!

Michele

Carnival Conquest
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I try to limit my dress shoes to 1 or 2 pair and pack the clothes that go with them, saves a lot of luggage room. Then there is always a pair or 2 of sandals and older shoes if going on an excursion and the shoes for traveling, thats enough....

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Yeoman

not slamming you but i am glad i dont have to carry your bags. i agree to try and find a way to mix and match so you can cut down to at least 5 pair. that might help in the smashing department. have a great time

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Michelle,

Is this your first cruise? Everyone I know always overpacks for first cruise, then realizes that they way overpacked. Go ahead and pack whatever you want, then for your next cruise you will pack about 1/2 that much.

Jodi

Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:26 PM
First Mate

Hey I dont knock you I took along 12 pr on our first cruise and only wore 4 pr my husband told me that I was crazy but I argued that I would wear them all.....Well I can tell you I will only bring 4 pr on this cruise how silly of me to think I would wear them all....But if you do end up bringing them all the best suggestion from me would to try and pack with the outfit to save room ..Good luck

Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Passenger

This is my 3rd cruise....oh well...I guess we all have our own things and I love clothing....however, it is not my most important thing in life. I will probably end up taking 8 pairs of shoes. Not going to change me. And once again my post was not intended to debate about how many shoes I should bring. I just figured maybe someone had some good ideas about packing shoes so they dont get mushed in the luggage. Even though I am sure packed in the luggage won't hurt them it just annoys me. Maybe I will wrap them up in tissue paper. NOT MY TENNIS SHOES. Just the nice ones.

By the way....I don't really mind bringing a lot of stuff. I am EXTREMELY organized and I am using the space bags. I love bringing all my sample cosmetics and sample skin care. It really saves a lot of room.

I can't wait to go!!!

Michele

Post Edited (05-02-04 19:37)

Carnival Conquest
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

I totally understand your problem...I am guilty of doing the same thing, but always realize that I never needed to pack that many shoes. However, to answer your question, I have a book that offers packing advice and I dont think you will ever be able to fit 10 pairs of shoes in one suitcase, but the advice that they offer is to lay your clothes flat across your bag clearly with excess hanging out the sides of the bag, then lay your shoes inside the bag on top of your clothes (in a ziplock bag, so they dont get your clothes dirty) and then fold up the sides of the clothes over the shoes. As far as how to lay the shoes, usually, if you do it with the tops of the shoes facing eachother but in the opposite direction (toe to heel) that works best.

Good luck - maybe you can cut it down to 5 or 6 pairs, and then you should be okay.

Hope this helps,
Carey

Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Passenger

Thanks Carey!

That sounds like a great way. Instead of mushing the shoes into the cracks along the inside of the back like I normally do..

Michele

Carnival Conquest
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:27 PM
ocnlvr

I took 5 prs only wore the birks, my feet were swollen only wore the dress ones on formal nights.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
sscruz

I am also packing alot of shoes! I layer them in my clothes it seems to work okay! Good luck
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do any of you use shoe bags or do you just place them around in your luggage?

I to took so much on our first cruise, this time I'm packing very light.

My friend that is going with me this time came by yesterday and I had a space in my closet that I had the things I was taking already pick out and hanging there. She thought I was crazy with the cruise being 4 mos + away yet.

I'm taking the following for 7 day cruise , shoes 2, dress pair, 2 sandals and wearing tennis shoes, which is half from last time and I'm taking mix and match outfits, long slacks and shorts, due to the fact we are going New York to Canada in late September. 2 formal dress, swim suit & cover + undergarments and socks, hose.

And that's it girls, oh of course makeup bag and hair dryer and camera.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:37 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I plan to take a duffle bag to put me and hubby's shoes in. I'm not taking that many and hubby won't either. also we can use the bag for purchases too.--that's the plan but by next year of course it might change lol!

Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:20 PM
Passenger

All my luggage that I take is carry-on so I try to pack shoes and outfits that are mutli-usable-
To keep my heels as well as my husbands dress shows that I do bring from getting squashed-I take my husbands or my socks ,roll them up and put them in my shoes{you can also use underware}. This way I kill 2-birds w/one stone and the shoes dont get as squash and for the most part keep their shape.

MI5
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:31 AM
Passenger

What a GREAT idea! Thank you!

Michele

Carnival Conquest
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:40 AM
Admiral

I always roll up socks and shove them down into the shoes - keeps them from getting smushed and bent out of shape.

Jodi

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

i took tennies, water shoes and a pair of platform flip flops? i guess that's what they were. you know, leather strap going between toes, but an angled platform to make it dressier than the rubber flip flops. anyway, they went with my capris and still looked ok with my dress - i didn't go ultra formal, just nice church dress style. i wore my tennies with jeans & shorts. water shoes were for excursions involving water. we packed our shoes in the zipper pockets on the outside of our suitcases, but they were still slightly squashed. reshaped on their own once we unpacked.
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I pack stuff INSIDE my shoes! Why waste space when some socks, suntan lotion, hairspray, shampoo bottles, etc. can fit in those 10 pairs? This also helps keep your shoes from getting crushed too badly.

Have a good cruise!

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:40 PM
AshleyP

I agree . . . I also pack things like socks inside my shoes to help them hold their shape. Then I usually pack them around the edges of my suitcase. Don't feel bad about taking so many shoes. On our last cruise, I took 7 pairs of shoes!!
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:35 PM
First Mate

First of all, cut the evening shoes down to one formal, for both nights, and one nice heel for more casual nights. Then you only have 2 sets of high heels to worry about. I pack flat shoes, like flat sandals and sneakers and husbands dress shoes flat on bottom of suitcase. Then I fill with clothes. I put nicer shoes on the side with the heels away from the clothes. Then you can put other flip flops, etc. across the top of the bag before you zip.

Good luck!