CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   wierd water shoe question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/197913-wierd-water-shoe-question.html)

KaylaB June 16th, 2004 03:21 PM

wierd water shoe question

I know this question is odd....has anyone had a problem with water shoes with laces while they are snorkeling? Does saltwater deteriorate the laces? ...Just trying to settle a "friendly disagreement" with my dh!

Donna June 16th, 2004 03:41 PM

Re: wierd water shoe question

I just brought along some old sneakers with rubber soles and they worked just fine, no problem with the laces either. The water shoes don't have laces, they just slip on.

KaylaB June 16th, 2004 03:57 PM

Thanks so much!!

PapaBill June 16th, 2004 04:15 PM

I have lace up water shoes (several years old from Lands End). They have seen much salt water and no problem with the laces which seem to be nylon or polyester not cotton or leather. When worn in salt water I do rinse them at the end of the day in fresh water.

Megs1025 June 17th, 2004 11:42 AM

i just bought some lace-up water shoes from Wal-mart! they fit great, cant wait to wear them on the cruise

fabrizzi June 17th, 2004 12:47 PM

Absolutely the laces will deteriorate in the salt water (only if left there for months and months). As with many swimsuites the fabrics will break down with salt and that is why it's a good idea to rinse in freshwater after use.

But don't worry about 50 cent laces, enjoy the snorkelling and the water.

kernfam01 June 17th, 2004 02:42 PM

Here's another water shoe question for ya. Is it even possible to find womens water shoes that are NOT dorky looking and neon colored? Especially if you don't want to spend big bucks on these shoes you would no doubt NEVER be caught dead in any other time other than this 7 day cruise?!! Just trying to settle a question I have been pondering myself while shopping for my cruise necessities. LOL!

KaylaB June 17th, 2004 03:10 PM

Like Megs1025, I found some cute lace up ones at Wal-Mart for only 6.75! They had some pink ones and blue ones and they were not as ugly as some that I have seen! (They are actually kind of cute!) This is what started my "fued" with my DH-he told me that they were crap b/c the laces were going to deteriorate in the water and that I should only get slip on water shoes. I told him I wasn't going to spend $40 on ugly shoes I was only going to wear for one week!!

kernfam01 June 17th, 2004 09:10 PM

Re: Re: wierd water shoe question

I will have to check back at walmart. The only ones they had here were all sorts of different colors of pink, no laces, and pretty cheesy looking. Looks like something for little girls. LOL!! I would rather risk it barefoot B4 I wore those, for sure! LOL!! I did find a plain black pair for $9.99 on the net, but when you add s&h to that, it's too much, in my opinion anyway!!

PaulaJ June 17th, 2004 10:16 PM

Darn! I only saw the pink ugly kind at Walmart and I did buy them. I figure if I put them on just prior to being in the water and take them off the second I'm on land I won't be wearing them in any pictures. I'd have to just die if that happened. I'm not a slave to fashion or anything, but even I have my pride. LOL

Paula

KaylaB June 17th, 2004 10:37 PM

I spent so much time at Wal-Mart digging through the boxes trying to find ones that were not heinous that people started looking at me funny! Who is in charge of designing water shoes?! I'd like to ask them where they dream up some of those patterns and colors!! I can't describe the ones I found better than that they had laces and look almost tennis shoe-like..although they are not completely ugly I don't think I will be wearing them proudly all over the beaches!! LOL

BJKeen June 18th, 2004 04:52 AM

The difference between tennis shoes and water shoes is the weight. Water shoes are suppose to be very light so they don't drag you down in the water. Laces may be good, so that you can tighten them. Water shoes are a good idea at the FL beaches right now because the Sting Rays are mating. We shuffle our feet before walking forward in the sand to alert the Sting Rays so they will swim away.

kernfam01 June 18th, 2004 04:21 PM

LMAO! I am so glad I am not the only one with water shoe issues. Like PaulaJ said, We may not be slaves to fashion, but come on now! Seriously! Who designs full sized adult shoes like that and thinks grown women are going to love them! Too funny!!

sheiladz June 18th, 2004 10:56 PM

I just so happen to work for a footwear company that makes the footwear sold in Kmart stores. You will find an updated style to the "ugly aqua" of the past. My buyer has worked on making this more fashioable and less "dumb" looking. It may be worth it to take a look!

fabrizzi June 19th, 2004 08:52 AM

Ladies, ladies, ladies

It's just a pair of water shoes! I'm sure the fish don't mind what color they are.
It's not necessary that everything has to co-ordinate all the time.
Chances are anyone who notices your shoes - will probably never see you again.
Besides, everybody is wearing the same dorky shoes - so you won't look out of place.

At the risk of being chastized (and because I've been married 26 years) it must be a gal thing.

Most guys (myself included) purchase the first pair we find that fit.

Don't sweat the fashion fout pas ladies.

Fab

phoebe June 19th, 2004 09:42 AM

Check out Target they're not so bad there they have blu/grey and black/blue ones.

diverdiver June 20th, 2004 01:18 PM

I still have the pair of pink Aqua Socks that I bought at Target about ten years ago, and they still work just fine! For as infrequently as I use them, I really don't care much about how they look. I always wear fins when snorkelling or diving, anyway, but there are some beaches that can tear your feet apart!