Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal
Default Cuban Cigars

Has anybody tried to bring back a Cuban Cigar to the U.S. ? I did it once back in 1998, but since 9/11, I wasn't sure if security would be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)
Default Re: Cuban Cigars

It is illegal to bring cuban cigars into the US. I bought one for my father in 2002 on my first cruise that me and my 16 yr old daughter took. I honestly did not know??? I actually made it all the way off the ship with it and actually found out after the cruise.

I figured I got lucky and I have never tried that again.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Passenger

I know it is illegal to bring Cuban Cigars into the U.S. There are many ways of bringing them off the ship. I just didn't know if immigration was going to be more of a problem since 9/11.
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Admiral

What you seem to be asking a few things. 1) how to commit a crime 2) will you get caught and 3) for someone to tell you that it is ok.
What you have been told is correct. It is illegal to bring Cuban Cigars into the US. You can be subject to significant fines for doing so. Thousands of dollars I believe and perhaps worse.
Is it ok because it is only a little crime? NO. Is it ok because everyone else does it? NO Is it ok because you are likely to get away with it? NO. Is it ok because it is a somewhat victomless crime? NO No matter how you might rationalize it, you will be knowingly and willingly breaking the law .
Why not buy some really good Dominican Cigars and enjoy them legally? They will likely be every bit as good and will be perfectly legal.
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Papa Bill has expressed my feeling exactly. You must also understand thet "Cuban" cigars are not all that good anymore from what many cigar 'afficiondos have told me. Many of the cigar experts now live in Miami and tobacco here is every bit as good and often better. Cruisemates has a policy that we don't even like to encourage people breaking rules that the cruiseline puts out. We flat refuse to ever encourage or help anyone break any Law, much less a Federal Law as that would be very careless of us and unethical. That said if you wish to buy and smoke them then that is great and your choice but we also encourage you do so it before you return to the USA. If you have any left over, give them to someone in the crew that would enjoy a cigar.
Jim

Post Edited (01-28-05 12:27)
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Passenger

What I was referring to, is when we leave St. Maarten and head to St. Thomas, will there be a problem with having a cuban cigar on the ship when we get into the port at St. Thomas? I know we have to go through immigration because we entering a U.S. island. I guess I worded it the wrong way.

Post Edited (01-28-05 12:50)
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cuban Cigars

Immigration and Customs are two different things entirely. When you arrive in St Thomas, US Immigration officials will board the ship and you will "que" up to show them ID. There is no search of the ship or potential search of your baggage at this time. When you return to US and disembark the ship, this is where you will be subject to
potential examination by US Customs officials. By this time, smoke your cigars or give them to a crew member.
Have a nice cruise.
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Kakarp

Default Re: Re: Cuban Cigars

Before I left on my last cruise (Last May 2004) a co-worker asked if I would bring back a couple of cigars. But not to spend more then $15 for two. Well I don't smoke at all and couldn't find two for $15 at earlier ports, Nassau or St. Thomas but when we got to St. Maartin I walked into a smoke shop and a clerk asked if she could help me. I told her a friend asked me to bring a couple of cigars and that I didn't know a thing about good cigars. She suggested a pack of 3 for $13 and said they were a fine smoking cigar. I paid her put them in a bag and they stayed in that bag till I gave them to the co-worker when I got back. His reply was "Hey you did go". He then pointed out to me that they were Cuban, made in Havana.

Kakarp
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Admiral

You can and will have no problem in St Martin. St Thomas is part of the USA and don't know what to tell you there as they would still be illegal there. If you keep them on the ship, no problem.
Jim

Old January 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Honduran cigars are every bit as good, and from what my boss said he like them even better that the Cuban ones - plus they are legal to bring back and I don;t have to worry.
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just out of couriosity, how does one tell the difference between Cuban, Honduran , Dominican cigars and are they all available for purchase in Mexico???
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

The best way to tell the difference of all the cigars is to read the lable. lol, sorry I had to say it.

I brought back Honduran cigars for a friend, he had no complaints and spoke very highly about them.

Old September 9th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I just loves the flavor of Cuban cigars just loves everything about it even its cartons are awesome I am really love with the taste it gives me. I used to order them online from some duty free shops you can see whether it fits your needs or not.
***Edited to remove commercial reference***

Last edited by Donna; September 9th, 2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: removed hyoer link
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

It seems to me that the main attraction of Cuban Cigars is that they are forbiden fruit. I wonder what will happen when they are legal again?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Familiar Face

I can tell you I have had them in the Philippines and the Philippino cigars are much better - all the hype is just that, hype
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway scott View Post
It seems to me that the main attraction of Cuban Cigars is that they are forbiden fruit. I wonder what will happen when they are legal again?
that is the only reason I can say they would be so saught after...I smoked two differant brands when in the Philipine Islands and they were no where as good as people put them out to be...the PI ones were much better and I have had some handrolled ones from Miami area that werer 100 times better...
Old September 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Familiar Face

I do it every cruise. Remove bands, put with other cigars I brought on board. Not sure I would take the box.
Old September 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Technically it is illegal for US citizens to purchase them anywhere. Money is still filtering back to Cuba. I will add that I think the boycott is stupid.

Even in Cuba, there are counterfeits, to say nothing of the rest of the world. It isn't hard to remove one band and replace with a different one, as has been pointed out.
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Oh, common PapaBill, lighten up. Humans always want what they can't have. Jews want ham sandwiches, Mormons want coffee, and Americans want Cuban cigars.

But, as a direct rebuttal to your harsh analysis of sinners in society, YES, there are degrees of sin. That's why they don't execute jay walkers, and they allow several speeding tickets before taking away you license. In fact, the Cuban cigar makers really like the US import laws, as they make their products much more valuable. Do you think the Mexicans want the US to legalize MaryJ?

If Cubans are your thing, smoke 'em. Nobody is going to throw you in jail over a lousy cigar.
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

I tend to agree with Jeff. I brought a friend back only ONE Cuban cigar on my last cruise. It didnt kill anyone. I guess you have to decide what consequences you can live with, if there even are any.
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
First Mate

I have a relative that works for Homeland Security. Prior to that he worked for Customs and Immigration. He did a lot of work at Dulles Airport in the DC area. He told me that the fines for Cuban cigars could be as high as $10,000 for each cigar that you attempted to bring in. He also said that rarely were the fines assigned and most of the time the cigars were just confiscated. However, there were several times that travelers denied having Cuban cigars and then were found with a box or two in their luggage. These folks paid fines around $5,000. So beware. Although a lot of folks say no big deal, I would advise against trying to sneak them pass custums.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

I would advice against trying to sneak anything through customs. They can and do read people and can usually tell if you are trying to avoid the law, even in a minor way. I think most of us are so law abiding that even a trivial "crime" makes us feel, and therefore look, guilty. We once brought back a case of alcohol and a lot of cigarettes for my hubby. We put all of it in a box and used a luggage carrier to wheel it off. We went up to the customs agent and showed it to him. He asked if it was for personal use and we said yes and he waved us through...with our stuff. Not sure Homeland Security would be quite so easy to deal with nowadays, though.
But, we don't drink or smoke like we used to, either. Age doesn't make you more honest, but it can make you indifferent to past vices!
mARTY
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
I have a relative that works for Homeland Security. Prior to that he worked for Customs and Immigration. He did a lot of work at Dulles Airport in the DC area. He told me that the fines for Cuban cigars could be as high as $10,000 for each cigar that you attempted to bring in. He also said that rarely were the fines assigned and most of the time the cigars were just confiscated. However, there were several times that travelers denied having Cuban cigars and then were found with a box or two in their luggage. These folks paid fines around $5,000. So beware. Although a lot of folks say no big deal, I would advise against trying to sneak them pass custums.
Well maybe you would think about giving up smoking after a fine like that
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Things have changed quite a bit since this thread was started in 2005.

I will admit I have brought in Cuban cigars for my friends who smoke (I don't smoke ever) - so they were in airtight vacuum sealed containers as they should be if you ever buy them anyway.

My gut feeling is that if you get caught you could say you were told the cigar was from the Dominican Republic, but that the container only said Havana because you wanted a container.

They would take it away (and probably smoke it), but I seriously doubt you would get in big trouble for 1 cigar.

Now, bringing in a box? You know they can cost $20 apiece. right? So a box is several hundreds of $. A lot of money to risk losing.

Old December 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffchandler1 View Post
Oh, common PapaBill, lighten up. Humans always want what they can't have. Jews want ham sandwiches, Mormons want coffee, and Americans want Cuban cigars.

But, as a direct rebuttal to your harsh analysis of sinners in society, YES, there are degrees of sin. That's why they don't execute jay walkers, and they allow several speeding tickets before taking away you license. In fact, the Cuban cigar makers really like the US import laws, as they make their products much more valuable. Do you think the Mexicans want the US to legalize MaryJ?

If Cubans are your thing, smoke 'em. Nobody is going to throw you in jail over a lousy cigar.
Speaking of this - has their been any "fallout" from the Mexican cartels about the legalization of Mary Jane in Colorado? It seems I read someplace that there were some things said by Mexican nationals about not liking it.

Old December 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Welcome Newcomer

As a "silent protest" to the U.S. outdated, bogus policy toward Cuba, I buy Cuban cigars on every cruise I take. I don't even smoke, but I usually give the cigars to someone that may enjoy it.

I have also forgotten about having them in my back-pack when going through customs... on more than one occasion. Of course, they were all burned when I got back home. I only wanted the container to display on my mantle any way.

Bob
Searching for Kokomo
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralegal View Post
Has anybody tried to bring back a Cuban Cigar to the U.S. ? I did it once back in 1998, but since 9/11, I wasn't sure if security would be a problem.
Easy, take bands off. Illegal probably, will you get caught? Not likely.
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine matt View Post
I brought back Honduran cigars for a friend, he had no complaints and spoke very highly about them.

Back in the days when I did smoke, I love Honduran cigars.

To me they were the best.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Admiral

I agree. I've had many Cuban cigars over the years and to me they are overrated. Often much stronger than I like. I much prefer Hondurans and Dominicans.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

They showed on that Miami Airport show that they shred them up when confiscated. I bought one in Nassau and smoked it on the ship. It wasn't that great.