Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey, this is a great post! My wife and I enjoy some good mood music (if you know what I mean) for our cabin, so I bring my iPod. An extention cord allows you to run extra things in the room (rechharging batteries) and you don't have to lean over to get to a difficult spot. I also like to bring Walkie Talkies for when the wife and I want to go in different directions whether we're on or off the ship. Comes in very handy and seems like a lot of other people bring them too!
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Passenger

I bought a fold up shelf 'thingy' to hang in the bathroom to hold all of our 'stuff'.....had seen on the boards how many people were so glad they had it. But I didn't need to use it because there was lots of room on the shelves on each side of the mirror in the bathroom. It would be very handy though if there are more people sharing your cabin....there was just the two of us.

We were on the Spirit and there was a hairdryer as well as shampoo etc. provided.

Also many people suggest taking a bungee cord to hold the balcony door open.....we didn't take one with us, but our steward gave us a wooden 'stick' which we placed in the top of the door.

One thing I would have done differently is to take a bar type extension cord. I took a square one that you plug into the outlet on the wall.... it has a number of outlets (6 I think) on it. I figured it would take up less room in my case but I couldn't use it because the wall outlet was too close to the counter, & it wouldn't fit. We were glad that we took a small wind-up travel clock instead of an electric one.

Old October 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Passenger

I should have brought....
A nightlight
More hats
More books ( I ran out halfway through my last cruise)

I should have left at home....
About half my clothes
About half my shoes
About half my cosmetics
And my husband, who developed a bad cold on day 2 of our cruise, and didn't feel like doing much of anything after 6pm!
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Beginner

Default re-useable list

the organized one of our team has a list that lives in the suitcase, we can pack on very short notice, I gather things from the list and she packs all of the bags. if something comes up that we agree needs to be on the list it gets added, and the list evolves as needed. works for us.
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Passenger

We'll be going on our 3rd cruise in April. The item at the top of the list is binoculars! Lots to see!
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Definetely will bring again:
Plastic slipper hanger for bathroom door
Small roll duct tape (for emergency)
Cube tap or short extension cord
More books to read
Less clothing
Larger Handbage for the Beach Stuff
Fanny pack for on shore
Water shoes
Extra film or discs (can be costly onboard)

But the most important thing to take with you is ....a good attitude and patience.

Pre Cruise
* Change the battery in my watch
* Advize CreditCard company I'm travelling
* Leave copies of all docs with someone (tickets, passport, agent info itinerary, ship contact info etc.)
Old November 18th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Captain

My DH and I recently cruised on the Holiday. It is the oldest Carnival ship still in use. We had a great time. I bought a mesh thing that is supposed to be used in the shower. It has 6 pockets. It really came in handy, because there is never enough room on the older ships to put your toiletries. I bought it at a dollar store for $2.00. It was a great investment. I hung it on one of the towel racks, and it worked great.

As usual, I took too many clothes and shoes. (I'm still working on that!)

Libragirl (Mary)
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

There is only 1 plug in the room so bring a power strip with several plug ins!!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Freedom May 2010
Carnival Liberty January 2009
Carnival Freedom April 2008
Carnival Glory April 2007
Carnival Miracle March 2006
Carnival Glory April 2005
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Familiar Face

My daughter introduced me to a product to eliminate wrinkles in your clothing. It may be a Febreze deal. She would not go without it, even went to the store while I was fussing that it was time to go. It worked too, I am amazed to say.
galvgal
Old November 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Default Extension Cord

Since there is only one plug in the cabin. Need to heat up my curling iron while drying my hair... I've since remembered to bring one but the first couple of cruises I forgot!
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague
Default Comprehensive List

I'm planning a trip for a large group...here is my list so far. Thanks for all of your suggestions, I've added them to the list!

CRUISE PACKING LIST

I’m sure everyone knows they must pack clothes, toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, and makeup), shoes, formal wear, travel documents, money and credit cards. Here are a few items you might need that you may not have thought about.

Medicine
Name and phone number of your primary care physician
Health Insurance information
Medical history (if traveling alone or without someone familiar with your history)

Dramamine or equivalent for seasickness
Tylenol or Advil
Imodium
Emetrol or nausea medicine
Any prescription medicine (syringes, sharps container and swabs if needed)
Any medical equipment you use (glasses, blood pressure and sugar monitors)
Swimmer's Ear Drops
Condoms (for the consenting, single, of age adults!)
Midol or equivalent
Feminine products

Aloe Vera gel with lidocaine (sunburn)
Sun screen
Band-Aids
Neosporin ointment
Lip balm
Hand sanitizer
Hand lotion
Visine
Vinegar
Evian Spray Mineral Water (great for dry skin)
Contact lens cleaning solutions, etc.
Tweezers
Cotton swabs
Ace bandage

foot powder

Cleaning Stuff
Wrinkle releaser
Tide pen
Shout wipes
Detergent (if you are going to wash clothes on the ship)
Spray starch (if you need to iron on the ship…call your room steward, not me, if you need help)

Baby wipes
Lysol
Febreze or air freshener

Clothing and Accessories
Fanny pack
Beach bag
Hat
Sunglasses
Earplugs
Sweater or jacket (it gets cool in the dining room)
Water shoes
Extra glasses (in case you lose the first pair)
Socks or slippers (don’t walk barefoot on the dirty floors!)
underwear

Miscellaneous
Night light
Highlighter (highlight to do activities on the Capers)
Pen & Post-it Notes (to leave messages)

Door Decoration (to easily locate your room)
Camera and/or camcorder
Waterproof camera for excursions
Battery charger for phone and camera
Walkie-talkies and batteries
I Pod and/or laptop if you need it

Power strip for all those electrical things
Extra film, cassettes, memory cards and batteries
Sewing kit
Duck tape
Clothes pins (to weigh the shower curtain down)
Blow dryer (if you need more than one or a high setting)
Insulated cup to bring by the pool
Hangers

1’s & 5’s for room service tips and lockers onshore
Fish license holder
Cheap beach towels

Snacks for the room
Bottled water
Can drinks
Bungee cord to hold a balcony door open
Copies of travel documents
Money
Large and small ziploc bags
Favorite bath soap
Over the door or shower folding caddy for all the junk

Curling Iron, curlers and/or straightener
Hairbrush, clips and ponytail holders
YOUR pillow if you have to have it
empty duffle bag for dirty clothes or souvenirs

manicure kit
fan

business cards
clock

I'm color coding this for me! Green means I've got it, red means I'm not going to bring it and black means I still have to get it!
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Captain

Mstill,

I think your list covers everything anyone might need!!

Thanks!!!

Libragirl 8)
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I'm adding swimmer's ear drops. I remember a middle of the night trip to an emergency room in a strange city with a screaming child! She is 18 years old now (the one in the middle of my pic), but I'm packing it just in case!
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Seasickcruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompo8190
Libragirl (Mary)....

I guess I would have to say...Vinegar.
What is the vinegar for?

Dorothy

~~Can't Wait~~
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Captain

In another post, Tompo mentioned that she had been bitten by a jellyfish, or some kind of fish, and that the tour quide had told her to put vinegar on it. It was kind of joke between us, since most people don't take vinegar with them on a cruise!!

Libragirl 8)
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Seasickcruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
In another post, Tompo mentioned that she had been bitten by a jellyfish, or some kind of fish, and that the tour quide had told her to put vinegar on it. It was kind of joke between us, since most people don't take vinegar with them on a cruise!!

Libragirl 8)
OHHHHHH Thanks for the information.

Dorothy

~~Can't Wait~~
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:03 PM
Captain

We recently returned from Cozumel. While there, I bought one of those bags that zip and can be worn across your body so that your hands are free. I love it. I bought one for each of my daughters, also, and they love theirs. I plan to use mine on every cruise from now on.

Mary 8)
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tips for special young workers

Quote:
Another item I plan to take on my next cruise is envelopes. I know you can get them at the purser's desk, but it is more convenient to just take some. I like to tip workers who I think deserve it, and I usually write a little note on the envelope thanking them for making my cruise so special.

Most of the workers are young and very far from home, and just the look on their faces when you hand them the envelope with the note on it makes the cruise even more special to me.

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL!!!

Libragirl (Mary)
We were talking with one of our stewards, a young girl who was also very far from home and had not had a day off the ship in six months. It seems that she loved chocolate but the staff was not allowed to eat the chocolates they leave on the pillows. We bought her several chocolate bars and a tin of hard fruit candy. This very small gesture actually brought tears to her eyes. It only takes a small act of kindness to those special people who make our cruises so speacial.
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What I wish I had brought

We forgot my hubby's socks. He had the little short socks for tennis shoes and also wore sandals without socks. But at dinner with dress slacks and black wingtips, we were at a loss. The only option (which he took) was to wear my black knee hi hose to dinner every night !
This was a family cruise and our grown kids really teased him about it.
To make matters worse, in the haste of packing and getting our luggage out in the hall, I kept him shorts and a t-shirt for debarkation and packed all his shoes except (you guessed it) his black wing tips.

Of course this made for a really funny pic in our scrapbooks. Just wish the ship would sell a few of these necessities for us (sometimes) airheads.
Happy cruisin ya'll
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I-Pod and charger, travel coffee cup with lid, small battery powered alarm clock, travel ash tray, good book, condoms,night light, (or glow in the dark condoms), three way plug in for chargers, small back pack,buisness cards,
Purell Hand sanitizer,
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Well actually did not forget anything, but pack essentials in your carry on. DH luggage got lost and did not get to the cabin until the next day when we were at sea. Wow.... talking about frustrated. We thought our son had not taken it out of the vehicle but he assured us he did. The next day it showed up dirty and looking stepped on. Carnival had no explanation of where it had been, when we came from breakfast there it was in the cabin. What a relief!!! DH had important garments in there if you know what I mean!
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOctober
I-Pod and charger, travel coffee cup with lid, small battery powered alarm clock, travel ash tray, good book, condoms,night light, (or glow in the dark condoms), three way plug in for chargers, small back pack,buisness cards,
Purell Hand sanitizer,

I wondered what those were for
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Under-wear !~!
I forgot under pants last year. Thankfully the shops on board stocked the bloody things. It would have ugly to have had to wear ONE pair of briefs for a week!

/ticker.png">
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bring Some Sort Of Foot Powder Or Spray

For cruises down south - where it is hot and humid - one may need some sort of foot powder. ALthough I never have trouble with my feet up north, the combination of hot, humid and sweaty did cause some discomfort, and I purchased some powder in a port for a fantanstic sum. For hot humid climates - some sort of foot powder is always on the list
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Beginner

I have been on 6 cruises and about to go on my 7th and I never leave home without my small bedside fan. I have been in all 3 room types (inside, ocean view, balcony) and it is never cool enough in the rooms. Now other places on the ship were quite chilly at times but the rooms seem warm. Also as someone else stated, you will definately need an extension cord or power strip. I always take both. I plug in the power strip first then use that to plug in my extension cord so that I can run the cord to my fan by the bed. The other outlets on the power strip are used for battery charger, curling iron, hair dryer and clock. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I like to be able to look over at the clock and know what time it is without having to get up. I can do without the nightlight but not the glowing clock. Also I always take my favorite INSULATED MUG WITH LID. The glasses in the room are small and the ones from the grill are just cheap plastic. The ice in your drink melts within minutes if you are out by the pool and using one of the cheap plastic glasses. Ziplock bags are also handy especially if you have kids. I always put the medicine I am bringing for my little girl in a gallon ziplock. Liquid Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, etc....My shampoo/conditioner,tanning lotion etc..goes into another gallon ziplock. They are also good for damp clothing such as your bathing suit or watershoes if you are packing to go home and those items are still damp.
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Captain

I just thought I would bring this up for any new cruisemates.

Mary
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Libragirl 8)
I'm totally serious here, but being a Florida native I know this to be true: if stung by a jelly fish (they don't bite) the BEST immediate treatment is urine! Yep, guys, just go for it right away!

Now - back to our regular programming....

I didn't "forget" but actually lost my entire luggage and my husband's too on our honeymoon. I can personally swear that you don't need anything on a cruise but your imagination, cash and perhaps prescription meds. After that experience, my other cruises seem like overpacking every time!

However, I now take a nightlight for my bathroom and just purchased an over the counter mesh shoe holder and travel clock for my March cruise. I hate not having a clock in the cabin!

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Don't Forget the Immodium. During our last cruise, day 1, I went to the infermary to get my dh something. This was very BAD, they quarantined him to the cabin for close to 48 hours. I went to our 1st formal night without him, luckily we were cruising with friends and they were very supportive.

So I must Repeat...IMMODIUM
Do not ask the infermary for assistance unless you want to stay in your cabin.

Carnival Freedom 04/2008
Carnival Miracle 04/2006
Carnival Victory 05/2003
Carnival Destiny 05/1999

Old February 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Wow that must have been rough. At least no one else caught it! I have imodium on the list! Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexiblekitten
Okay, besides Fries..what else do you need vinegar for?
i'm sure this is posted half a dozen places, but it works great on sunburns if you can get past the odor...takes the sting right out and often for good.