Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Beginner

Default Malaria Pills for Mexican Riveria Cruise?

We are going on The Pride to the Mexican Riveria in a couple of weeks (YAYAYAYAY!!!) and my brother asked me a question I hadn't even thought of...are malaria pills needed? We are going on a zipline tour so we will be in the jungle.

Anyone been on this cruise and did you get malaria pills from your doctor?

Thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Most people just slather up with mosquito repellant and wear clothing to cover up.

but if you really want to know about the pills then here's some info from the CDC site.

Traveling and Malaria
I will be traveling outside of the United States. What should I do to avoid getting malaria or other infectious diseases?
Some simple precautions will help protect your health while traveling. CDC’s Travelers’ Health provides detailed information on malaria risk by country, prevention information including recommended antimalarial drugs, and health recommendations (e.g., vaccinations) for other diseases.

Travelers leaving the United States should:

Visit your health care provider 4-6 weeks before foreign travel for any necessary vaccinations, as well as a prescription for an antimalarial drug, if needed. (There are no vaccines against malaria.)
Take your antimalarial drug exactly on schedule without missing doses.
Wear insect repellent to prevent mosquito and other insect bites. Your insect repellent should contain DEET as its active ingredient. To prevent malaria, wear insect repellent if out of doors between dusk and dawn when the mosquito that transmits malaria is biting.
Wear long pants and long-sleeved clothing.
Sleep under a mosquito bed net (preferably one that has been treated with insecticide) if you are not living in screened or air-conditioned housing.
Should I buy my malaria pills in the malaria-risk country where I will be traveling?
Buying medications abroad has its risks. The drugs could be of substandard quality because of poor manufacturing practices. The drugs could contain contaminants or they could be counterfeit drugs. Such products may not provide you the protection you need against malaria. In addition, some medications that are sold overseas are not used anymore in the United States or were never sold here. These drugs may not be safe or their safety has never been evaluated.

It would be best to purchase all the medications that you need before you leave the United States. As a precaution, note the name of the medication(s) and the name of the manufacturer(s). That way, in case of accidental loss, you can replace the drug(s) abroad at a reliable vendor.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

For a cruise to the Mexican Riviera I would not recommend taking medication for malaria. You could end up sick and not enjoy your trip. Put on bug spray before you do the interior things like the zip line. We have done Peru, which was all interior and the Belize zip line, loved it, too short a time, and just used our bug spray.
You can check http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/camerica.htm
for information about it.
I would recommend to anyone traveling to anywhere in the Caribbean to get Hepititis A and B shots. You can protect yourself from malaria easily with bug spray but the bigger problem could be Hepititis. It takes 3 shots over several months and if you travel on all of these great trips to the Caribbean at anytime it is worth it to protect yourself. Eating and drinking in port and such can leave you vulnerable. I am far from an alarmist. I belive it is like putting your kids in car seats and fastening your seat belt. Sort of defensive traveling. For that matter all it takes is eating out in the US where someone with Hepititis works and handles food to get it. Talk to your Dr. but don't be surprised if he doesn't really know about what is required for travel to foreign ports. He probably never has enough time to get away. We also got Yellow Fever vaccinations when we went to Peru. Read some of the sites about Malaria and such on the internet but don't get crazy. It is pretty safe traveling to ports where the cruise ships go.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

When I was a Newbie, I worried about this too. After some research, I discovered that you are safe in the ports. The areas of concern is if you are staying weeks at a time in a jungle area. If that was the case, you have missed your ship, and have bigger worries.

I think you will do just fine without the meds, unless you have a problem medically, and in that case, your Dr. would be the best one to advise.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Default MEDIACATIONS

just remember some of these medications will give you the diahrrea, just by taking them, some you dont want to mix. IF you decide to get these meds check on the side effects and carry anti-diahrreal.
Been there done that.
Bob
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Malaria Pills for Mexican Riveria Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavia
We are going on The Pride to the Mexican Riveria in a couple of weeks (YAYAYAYAY!!!) and my brother asked me a question I hadn't even thought of...are malaria pills needed? We are going on a zipline tour so we will be in the jungle.
Anyone been on this cruise and did you get malaria pills from your doctor?

Thanks so much!!!
I've seen those ziplines...you'll be going too fast for the mosquitoes to even think about landing on ya! Have a great time on your cruise!
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Admiral

Wow, I hadn't thought of that!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Passenger

I travelled to Kenya last summer for 6 weeks and got Malaria, and I was on anti-malaria pills!

Anyway, I'm not a dr. but I would say don't worry about the pills. You are only going to be there for a day, and generally, it takes longer than that to get Malaria. Yes, you can get it from one bite, but my other thought is, if there had been any outbreak of Malaria, they would either cancel that excursion, or inform people of the risk.

Yeah, Malaria isn't fun, but I really think your risk is very low.