Old September 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default Sailing out of New York

We are thinking of going on the Bermuda cruise next April which sails out of New York. We live in Alberta, Canada (western Canada) and would have to fly to New York. Does anyone know which is the closest airport to the dock....also which is the least busy airport in N.Y? I believe there is more than one cruise terminal in N.Y. Any info. or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Passenger

Hello!

As a New Yorker, I'd recommend you fly in to Newark Airport. It's usually the least screwed up of the area airports, and might be the closest to the port. (LaGuardia may be closer, but I avoid Laguardia like the plague...if an air traffic controller sneezes it causes a two-hour delay).

From the airport, you could take the AirTrain into Newark Penn Station and catch a local commuter train (either Amtrak or NJ transit) to Penn station, where you can catch a cab. There are also airport busses that are reasonable (around $15 which would bring you in to Port Authority bus terminal).

Good luck, and have fun!
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanjean80
Hello!

As a New Yorker, I'd recommend you fly in to Newark Airport. It's usually the least screwed up of the area airports, and might be the closest to the port. (LaGuardia may be closer, but I avoid Laguardia like the plague...if an air traffic controller sneezes it causes a two-hour delay).

From the airport, you could take the AirTrain into Newark Penn Station and catch a local commuter train (either Amtrak or NJ transit) to Penn station, where you can catch a cab. There are also airport busses that are reasonable (around $15 which would bring you in to Port Authority bus terminal).

Good luck, and have fun!
All of the airports are going to be fairly easy to fly into and get yourself to the port from. I'd go with whatever airline you can get better deals to. This might be JFK, and usually is for me. I've made the route many times.

As far as port, chances are you'll be leaving from the NY passenger ship terminal on the west side of manhattan. there is also a terminal in brooklyn, but i dont know what cruiselines sail out of there. for my upcoming CCL cruise we sail out of manhattan, and on my honeymoon cruise we sailed from manhattan also.

sailing past the NYC skyline and past the state of liberty into the atlantic is an awesome experience... you will love it!
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I believe Carnival puts on a bus service to take passengers from the dock to the airport after debarkation, so would be good if we could get one to take us to the dock.

The thoughts of being in NY is a little scary to me.....don't even like being in Calgary traffic, which, as bad as it is, is nothing like N.Y. I'm sure. Our son and his family took a trip to N.Y. last year and absolutely loved it. I would love to see more of it, but paying for a hotel on top of the flight and cruise is not in our budget.

Would love to hear from anyone who has taken a cruise to Bermuda.

Thanks again, Beejo.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

I second Newark, but all three are fine. LGA is the closest, and JFK is the furthest. If the price was right, I'd even use JFK.

We have sailed to Bermuda three times. Once on Carnival, and twice on RCCL. We will probably return a third time, again on RCCL. Would like to do CArnival, but they sail too early in the season.

BTW, NY is not as scary as you may think.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yep heres another ny opinion

Stay away from Laguardia!!!!!!!!!! The worst..
New Yorkers are the best in the world!
Bermudians are the 2nd best!!

I have done Bermuda 4x and would go back again and again.. my favorite island
Enjoy the cruise and Enjoy NY!
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008