Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Pack Less Or More

Do you ever find yourself packing to much, when you cruise? For those of you who have not cruised before, you feel like if you don't pack something, you will need it on ship, and won't have it.

Tell us what you do about packing to much. Or maybe you don't, and have a good reason for packing 10 pairs of shoes.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Captain

I dont plan on doing anything. I only pack bathroom stuff that I might not need, antiacid, head ache pills, etc. Once I needed finger nail clippers I didnt have and when you have a hanging cuticle you want them now, not in the next port.

We only bring one suitcase each, if we forgot it, we can buy more and I know I will buy stuff in the ports anyway.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

There are some people (like our daughter) that think they have to take everything in the closet with them. We prefer to make a list, lay everything out that we're taking a day or two before the cruise, then decide if we'll really need it or not. (I didn't do this on a previous cruise and forgot to take a dress shirt for my suit. OOPS!) Making a list is very helpful, so you don't forget important things, like prescription meds., passports, airline/cruise tickets, etc. There are some things you can get on the ship if you forget them (toiletries, camera, sunblock). The more times you go on a cruise (or any vacation) you learn what to take and what to leave at home. (Sweetie, do you really need that parka? We're going to the Caribbean.)
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Do you guys agree that if you have had a shower, and all you are doing is going to dinner, and to the shows, on the inside of the ship( not out in the hot sun) you really don't get dirty.

Many people think that you can only wear the outfit once on the ship. I find that not to be true. I also like to take a pair of shorts that would look good with several different shirts, and that means less packing.

Packing is an Art form, and I sure wish I was talented in it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Packing less is best. Check and see if your ship has the self serve laundry ( coin laundry) If they do it's a plus....you can easily wash clothes

I learned years ago not to over pack...just more stuff to have to lug around
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
First Mate

I pack half of what I think I will need and it works out just fine. One suitcase, no carryon, makes it easy. If I have to do laundry, I'll wait for a very early morning and do one load. No big deal. I like to travel light. Most important to me are the books I will read on the ship!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Admiral

I always come home with clothes have not been worn. Most of the time I can wear one pair of shorts for 2 days, and just change shirts. I have taken too many shoes on both cruises, next time I hope to eleminate some of those. I also lay the clothes out a few days ahead, well, maybe a month ahead and change things out several times. Our next one I plan on taking even less that the last two.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I always pack alot but I wear everything I bring. I guess I like to change alot but it works for me.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Familiar Face

I always pack too much.

Carnival Destiny 2005
Carnival Miracle 2006
Carnival Victory 2007
RCI Liberty of the Seas 2008
RCI Allure of the Seas 2012

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Packed way too much our last couple of cruises. We've learned.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Captain

I agree with the old travel theory of only pack half of what you think you need and take twice the money you think you need! It's true!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Admiral

richard's rule:
What you don't take is what you need -- what you pack is what you don't use.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I packed 3 shirts, 5 tank tops, 3 shorts, 1 long pants, 1 dress pants, 2 ress shirts, 2 capri's, the usual undergarments, and by bathing suit. I didn't wear one dress shirt because we only went to one formal night and one of the two capri's. I wore everything at twice or more. I did NOT overpack, I could have packed better.

Next cruise I'll probably bring the two big suitcases again, but this time I don't have to bring long pants, one less capri, and only one dressy shirt for formal night! Three less items isn't much, but if I pack right I might be able to squeeze it all into one large and then I can bring the small 19" instead of a big one....

I won't bother bringing battery chargers for my digital camera. The rechargables aren't holding as much of a charge as they used to, despite being relatively new and only charged up perhaps a dozen times each. I can use the back up lithium/titanium disposables when the rechargables die. Also, with the change in lithium batteries in carry-on I'll only be able to take one camcorder battery because I have three spare lithium when the limit is two!.....oh well, I didn't use my video camera that much...

Health/beauty--I can get it all into six ziplock bags!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i could probably win for overpacking....!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Admiral

I pack three changes of clothing for each day. One for the morning jaunts, one for any port excursions, and one for the evening to include dinner. Of course I also pack my tux and a suit for formal attaires. Then I pack a bathing suit combo for each day if I choose to swim. Deck shoes for walking on the beach, tennis shoes for deck walking, dress shoe sofro the suit, wingtips for formal wear, and sandals for casual walks on the ship. Two sets of skivies for each day and three sets fo nice, silky pajamas. Finally, my shaving kit for my hygiene and I am off!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

We took everyones advice and did not overpack at all. This was probably a first for me. The only issue I had was I did not pack my husband enough casual clothes. I ended up doing laundry, but only 1 load and it was not so bad. I did leave a pair of heels at home so I just wore black flip flops instead.

Old February 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Captain

I always overpack and bring clothes I don't wear while wearing some things twice. I have tried the last couple of times to downsize with a little luck, but not much. I will just have to keep trying I guess. I had a friend who almost drowned in Cozumel, so for several cruises I packed a "noodle" in my suitcase by wrapping it around the inside edges. I know people must have thought I was nuts carrying it to the beach so I stopped carrying it.

I am amazed however of the people I see taking a small bag that will fit through the carry-on slot and that is all they take. I always figure that they pack underwear, flip flops and a couple of swim suits and nothing else.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Familiar Face

I made a really good packing check-off list and have kept it on my computer so I can change out some things depending on where we are going and the time of year. No one cares if you wear an outfit more than once other than yourself and you don't get dirty unless you drop some food on yourself. That's why a Tide pen is also included in my checklist. It's a vacation, don't sweat the small stuff. Relax and unwind. 8)
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Captain

The more I cruise, the less I pack. I have been on many cruises where I didn't wear half of the clothes I packed. Now I try to just pack what I am sure I'll wear. I am platinum on Carnival, so I get free clothes washing. That has been terrific, and has really helped me pack less.

Libragirl
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Passenger

i found that i overpacked, but it was my first cruise and i did not know what to expect. So next time i will know better, suit, swim shorts (maybe 2 pair), tank tops, tshirts and flip flops, one pair of pants and the usual socks etc. hmm, maybe i can get away with just a carry on for a week!
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

The oldest and maybe best packing advice from all the different cruise boards is.

Pack half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need.

Dan
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

I actually did good packing on my first cruise. As with any trip we take I usually under pack and say if we need it we can buy it. Plus, there are self service laundry rooms available.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Passenger

I actually make a list for each day and figure out in my wardrobe what we are going to wear, lay it out in piles and then pack it! The list really helped me on our cruise last year from overpacking and didn't have much that we didn't wear! I'll do the same for our upcoming cruise.

Now, our daughter and daughter in law - that's a different story!! Our daughter has to pack a million pairs of shoes and lots of clothes changes - trying to get her to make a list of clothes - she made a list for other stuff, but not the clothes!

I know on the ship we can use the laundry room - however, I don't want to be bothered with domestic chores while I'm cruisin, so I make sure I pack enough clothes for each day!

[/url]

Sept. 2006 - Inspiration
May 2007 - Inspiration - with family - check out our photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/StampingFunn/LetnerCruise07
Next one - May 4, 2008 - Carnival Victory - with family!
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Admiral

I pack so that the last clean change of clothes is for the day/flight home. Definitely try to never over pack.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We've been on 4 cruises and I still overpack, although not as badly the last time. Last cruise I only brought home a couple of items that were not worn. I am getting better but I do think cruising experience helps out more than anything for packing. One time, in trying not to overpack, I forgot to take any t-shirts and ended up having to buy some. I do pack less every time. I never take more than 3-4 pairs of shoes. I personally don't care if someone notices that I am wearing the same clothes twice. I will never see these people again and I just don't care what other people think. I am on vacation to enjoy myself, not to worry about others.

We take 2 suitcases each because we take snorkeling gear, with beach shoes. We like to snorkel and don't particularly care to use stuff that other people have had in their mouths (I know, they are supposed to sanitize that stuff but I don't care). That allows us plenty of room in the luggage for souvenirs.
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Passenger

I tend to over pack, but am getting a lot better. Example of cutting back-1 pair of black dress pants I'll wear twice, only take 2 t-shirts cause I'll buy some at ports. Shoes--working on that. I take 2 luggage pieces that expand so I can bring back stuff--like a sink from Cozumel last month.
Carnival Holiday 1-2008
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Admiral

I can pack all of mine into a garment bag and a large suitcase.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Mehawk do you have to hand carry the garment bag onto the ship or do you check it in?

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalkingon
I tend to over pack, but am getting a lot better. Example of cutting back-1 pair of black dress pants I'll wear twice, only take 2 t-shirts cause I'll buy some at ports. Shoes--working on that. I take 2 luggage pieces that expand so I can bring back stuff--like a sink from Cozumel last month.
I say I take everything but the kitchen sink, but you apparently packed the sink too!
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days